• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is anyone OC’ing in the Mooresville area?

enfd250

imported post

I’m waiting the eternal wait for my CCW (applied 9 days ago) and I’m considering OC’ing in the meantime. Plus, the wife is out of town for a few days and I figure it’s a good time to get out and test the waters.

I asked my CCW instructor’s opinion on the matter and he replied with a smirk “it’s legal, but allow enough time in your schedule for dealing with LE since there’s a very good chance that they will be showing up at the request of a concerned citizen.” He also stated that I should obviously avoid OC restricted areas.

Has anyone OC’d in the Mooresville area? If so, what was your experience?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I haven't personally, but I would without even thinking about it. It's legalanywherein the state (in permitted areas, of course), and if you receive any type of harassment, they'll be breaking the law and you'll have a nice little lawsuit on your hands.

You ever notice that when a baby hurts themselves, the first thing they do is look at you to see how you react? If you gasp and ask them if they're ok, they cry. Ifyou smile and tell them they're fine, they smile and go about their business. If you make a big deal about something, other people are going to make a big deal about it, too.

Just carry safely, and confidently, and you'll be fine. :D

glockaholic

imported post

Go for it! You'd be surprised how many people don't even notice. :)

Or could it be that my G23 just blends in well with my dark clothing? :uhoh:

Godscreation

imported post

I live in Huntersville and OC everytime I visit the walmart and gander mountain in Mooresville. The guys at GM know me as a regular because I stick out when I OC so they remember me. They all think OCing is cool. Mooresville, in my opinion, is very OC friendly. In fact, anywhere in Iredell county is gun friendly, more so than in Meck county. In meck county you can only buy 3 purchase permits per person. Iredell, 10. Oh yeah.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Open Carrying is 100% legal (except in restricted areas), so do not be scared.

I enjoy showing everyone that its OKAY to carry a gun when youre just a normal person like me, and I enjoy seeing other people do the same (although I very rarely do).

The general population has this perception that only two types of people carry guns: Law enforcement and the Bad guys that they're chasing after. This is partly due to Hollywood movies and primetime TV shows, and partly due to other reasons. People need to see other normal, everyday people carrying guns as a regular accessory or tool to be able to change their perception of guns and the people who carry them.

Last week a young lady questioned me at a local Sheetz gas station about my 9mm that I was OC'ing. When she asked if I was law enforcement and I replied "no", she nearly shat a brick because she thought that carrying a gun outside of your home was entirely illegal unless you were law enforcement. She was about 25, well-dressed, seemed to be generally intelligent and school-educated, but yet she knew nothing about CCH permits or OC'ing. A five minute conversation with me changed all of that, merely as a byproduct of me OC'ing.

Please do not be afraid to show everyone that its OKAY to carry a gun on your hip.

enfd250

imported post

Well, I finally did it. I busted my cherry!!!
I decided to take a half day and head out to the range for some practice. But, this time my gun wouldn’t be locked away and lonely in the trunk. This time it would be right by my side as it should be.

My first stop was the gas station. I pulled up to the pump right behind a woman. On the other side of the island just opposite her was a man. I exited my vehicle just about the same time the woman did. The man was already in the process of pumping his gas. It’s a friendly neighborhood, so we all nodded and smiled to each other. As I was sliding my credit card into the pump, I kept an eye on them in my peripheral vision. Call it part situational awareness and part curiosity as to their potential reactions.

I’m pretty sure the man noticed because he was looking directly at me and paused at one point. But, he just went about his business and took off with no apparent reaction. However, I glanced at the woman at one point who was trying to put slide credit cart back into her wallet. Well, she either had Parkinson’s disease or she caught sight of my sidearm. I tried to watch without staring so as not to make her nervous. I don’t think it was Parkinson’s disease after all because once she got her card back into her wallet she jumped in the car to wait until she was done pumping her gas. I could clearly hear the “CLICK” of the door locks as soon as the door slammed shut. Maybe it was just my imagination, but I’m pretty sure she was a bit nervous.

So, once I was finished pumping gas, I went inside to pick up some smokes. I’m a regular at this station and have never seen a sign prohibiting firearms. But, I double-checked just to be sure and stepped inside. The clerk knows my face well. I did see him glance at my sidearm as we struck up a casual conversation, but he never made any mention of the fact that I was carrying. He did, however, glance at the Fire Department logo (ex-firefighter) on my t-shirt. I wonder if he was looking at that while trying to figure out if I was of some official capacity that allowed/required me to carry a firearm. Either way, we bid each other a good day and I was off to the range. No issues at all.

That was about all I could muster for a first experience, but it felt good.

Thanks for all your support!!!

chiefjason

imported post

Sweet! I'm still trying to soften my wife up some. OC'ed when I went to pick up dinner, went to 2 different places in Hickory. Talked to folks at both spots about it. Told the lady at the sub shop that unfortunately most folks think only bad guys and cops carry. She smiled and mentioned she wanted a pink pistol herself. Started talking about Charter arms colored line then started talking calibers while the guy beside her just stared at me.:lol: I love the look after the "ARe you a cop?" question!

No.

:what::celebrate