• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanted: California Open Carry Organizers!

gmc2500hd

imported post

Just a thought. Why don't we demand that the city/county/ whatever be required to do the measuring of school zones and put up signs so we don't violate it. It is their law

prplqun

imported post

I am really new to all of this but want to get more info and want to help out. I live in the OC but am from the central vally I am will to help as much as I can in both area. I know that I still need to know more.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

prplqun wrote:
I am really new to all of this but want to get more info and want to help out. I live in the OC but am from the central vally I am will to help as much as I can in both area. I know that I still need to know more.

Advice: Find out if there's anybody from your area, get together with them for coffee or something, and have them explain the laws and OC in depth. Then get them to take you out for an OC outing. Much better than trying to figure it out and do it all by your lonesome.

Edit: It would really help if I could spell. Can't figure out why I keep writing 'and' instead of 'an'.

demnogis

imported post

prplqun wrote:
Welcome! And check out the California Forum. There are a few of us in your area. Check your private messages.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

inetprez wrote:
Hey Everyone...

The Orange County Sheriff Department just released a training bulletin on Open Carry.

Check it out. http://www.allsafedefense.com/Articles/OpenCarryOCSheriff0209.pdf

By the way, I would love to help organize this movement in the OC.
This training bulletin is erroneous in two respects.

First, stating that loaded gun carry is prohobited on all public streets and inside vehicles on them. The loading in vehicles or on roads prohibition only applies to incorporated areas under People v. Knight and its progeny.

Second, it states that load checks imply right to demand ID and run background checks under Hiibel - wrong. Hiible only applies to states with stop and ID checks. Further, under Hiibel, state stop and ID statutes are limited to persons seized upon reasonable suspicion of comitting a crime. Calif. does not have a stop and ID law, and load checks are not done pursuant to reasonable suspicion - they are a statutoty administrative inspection loudly silent on any duty to have or show ID.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I'm in San Francisco, so I can do the whole "coffee and explain the laws" thing, if anybody likes. I've also wanted to organize an event in the Bay Area, but we're gaining members at a slow pace.

jw95367

imported post

Hi, my name is Justin Waller and currently reside in Riverbank, Ca. If you do not know that area,it is located in the Stanislaus County district. I have been trying to find or start a group here in relation to open carry. If any information regarding this subject could be forwarded to my email or you may call me at (209) 534-1595 I wouldgreatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time and future response.

Justin Waller

(209)534-1595 or jw95367@yahoo.com

heliopolissolutions

imported post

You got the bay, bits of norcal, bits of socal, and now...some representation from right smack in the middle of our state.
Reppin' Merced/Fresno/Modesto up in here.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Mike wrote:
inetprez wrote:
Hey Everyone...

The Orange County Sheriff Department just released a training bulletin on Open Carry.

Check it out. http://www.allsafedefense.com/Articles/OpenCarryOCSheriff0209.pdf

By the way, I would love to help organize this movement in the OC.
This training bulletin is erroneous in two respects.

First, stating that loaded gun carry is prohobited on all public streets and inside vehicles on them. The loading in vehicles or on roads prohibition only applies to incorporated areas under People v. Knight and its progeny.

Second, it states that load checks imply right to demand ID and run background checks under Hiibel - wrong. Hiible only applies to states with stop and ID checks. Further, under Hiibel, state stop and ID statutes are limited to persons seized upon reasonable suspicion of comitting a crime. Calif. does not have a stop and ID law, and load checks are not done pursuant to reasonable suspicion - they are a statutoty administrative inspection loudly silent on any duty to have or show ID.
Sooooo...how do we get them to correct this?

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
Sooooo...how do we get them to correct this?
We don't. We continue to educate so that future memos are more accurate. Something to keep in mind is that back when these memos were first being published, they were a huge positive step for us in CA. Previous to this, most CA cops thought simply open carrying was a 12025 violation and carrying ammo was a 12031 violation. These memos corrected that. Now we're arguing finer details with them like 4A issues. We've got a long way to go (like getting entirely rid of 12031 and 626.9) but much progress has been made.

chewy352