• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanted: California Open Carry Organizers!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Folks,

Like we have done in other states, its time for open carriers in CA to organize, perhaps unde the very loose umbrella term "Open Carry California" (i think I am stealing the thunder of somebody's blog using this term, sorry).

i have one fellow from San Diego, and another guy owes me an email from somewhere else, but we need more, particulary women in urban areas.

Takers? i just need you to send me an email with your name, city or county/region, and phoen number so we can start a little email discussion on how to organize events, simple talking points, etc., and i can put your name on press releases (goes by email to reporters, not posted to web).

How 'bout it?

Carry On California!

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Hey Mike, it looks like either your 'R' key is sticking on your keyboard, or you're sending this from your HTML browser on your cell phone.... :celebrate:celebrate

Ok, done heckling now.... had to make fun of somebody this morning, day would be horrible without it...

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Since it looks like I'll be very likely moving back to Santa Ynez (which is about a half hour north of Santa Barbara) soon, I'd be interested in being an organizer, maybe for the middleish part of the state. I don't have much experience in these kind of things, but I'm always willing to give it a try! Shoot me a PM if you're interested, and we'll see what happens with me moving.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Really? Finally!

I am facing charges and a jury trial, but am in Los Angeles. I will do what I can until I either can't or someone can do better!

I also thing we need 2 for SoCal. LA and Diego are pretty far apart and make it difficult to work both.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Theseus wrote:
Really? Finally!

I am facing charges and a jury trial, but am in Los Angeles. I will do what I can until I either can't or someone can do better!

I even think Liberty1 might be a better SoCal since he is LE.
Good luck with your trial. One of the biggest tasks of organizers will be to explain to folks how touchy the school zone and loaded/unloaded zone thing is in CA to make sure people can navigate to meet ups etc. without violating any of CA's laws.

demnogis

imported post

I'd be happy to assist you with this Theseus... I didn't want to put my own name forward at this time because I don't know if I will be facing charges or not at this time. I'm in the OC area.

sigscout

imported post

I am also interested in the central valley "sacramento" open carry, theres a thread about it with a few good responces.

Old idea but needs to be done: a booklet or some sort of mapping to show the "laylines" for where, as exactly as possible, it is not permitted to Open Carry.

I know it seems like an overwhelming prospect but if everybody across the country were to find atleast some info, like school zones/ post offices/ Gov property..etc. for the city they live in or near, we could do such a thing easier. I'm not saying there are not "moles" that might give miss information. which would screw it all up but I'm sure theres a reliable way to double check such info through reliable sources.

A book could go twards costs of the server maintenance or help people with expencive lawsuite fees.

Just an Idea, PM as needed

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sigscout wrote:
Old idea but needs to be done: a booklet or some sort of mapping to show the "laylines" for where, as exactly as possible, it is not permitted to Open Carry.
Since part of the crime described in 626.9 is "reasonable knowledge" of the location of schools, it is actually self-incriminating to try to gain such knowledge. Having school zones mapped out is excellent evidence for the prosecution.

It's good that people want to stay within the law, and would go to so much effort to do so. However, it is far easier and more prudent to remain ignorant of school zones.

At the very least, leave the map at home. No need to carry the evidence in your pocket.

dockahuna

imported post

Mike,

I live in the San Jose and would love to help out and rep. NorCal. The Bay Area is a great battle ground for us. If we can win here, we can do it anywhere.

Craig

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know I am going to get yelled at for this, but it doesn't actually seem that anyone in the chain applies the "knows or reasonably should know".

Even my DA has basically stated "maybe he was just a bad judge of distance".

The DA's and PD's seem to treat it more as a judgment option. If they are cool with the person they can wiggle out of prosecuting it using this, but it will not prevent charges and may be extremely difficult to effectively argue in court.

CA_Libertarian wrote:
sigscout wrote:
Since part of the crime described in 626.9 is "reasonable knowledge" of the location of schools, it is actually self-incriminating to try to gain such knowledge. Having school zones mapped out is excellent evidence for the prosecution.

It's good that people want to stay within the law, and would go to so much effort to do so. However, it is far easier and more prudent to remain ignorant of school zones.

At the very least, leave the map at home. No need to carry the evidence in your pocket.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sigscout wrote:
ok well then forget I said anything.
Don't take this the wrong way. You were thinking and taking initiative. That is needed in this movement, you just happened to be taking initiative in a different direction.

:cool:

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

sigscout wrote:
ok well then forget I said anything.

Hey, it was a great idea,if it weren't for the "knows or reasonably should know" clause. If that wasn't in there, your idea would be awesome.But, as CaLibertarian said, carrying a map outlining no carry zones automatically shows that one should have known they were violating the law.

However: if you wanted to organize some people to map out no carry zones in a particular city, and made sure it was extremely accurate, you may be doing people a huge favor. As long as those people aren't actually CARRYING that map when they're OCing, they could get away with 'not knowing' where the school zone is, but as long as that map exists, and they've studied up on their area, then they can learn where they should and should not go.

E.g. : Get pullnshoot and a bunch of other guys from San Diego to each map out portions of the city, and make 1000 ft. boundaries around schools. Then you could compile that and make one full map of the city. I'm sure that many OCers would be very grateful, and hell, if I were to live in a city in CA, I'd be MORE than happy to make a donation to help compensate you for your efforts.

PULLNSHOOT: Don't worry, I'm not trying to drag you into anything, I was just using you as an example - you were the only San Diegan that I could think of off the top of my head. Although you're a good researcher -if you have some bored time left over after your studies, this might be something you'd be interested in, yes/no?

Edit: Actually, if I lived in a city in California, and some of y'all made a map.... I'd be more than happy to donate a box of your favorite ammo to each person who participated in making that map..... incentive?

HariCarry

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:

HORRIBLE ADVICE!! You might want to check in with Theseus!!