• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Militias

gsx1138

imported post

Ok, I'm starting to do more research into militias. One: Because I really need training and should the SHTF I don't want to be left with my d!ck in the wind. Two: I need to get out of the house more often. Three: See one and two.

I really don't know much about them other than what the media says and that ain't too great. However, I'm betting there has to be some distortion. I'm not anti government, not religious, or socially conservative. However, I do love the Constitution and freedom in general.

The only one I can find locally is

http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/1mtn/index.html

I tried emailing them for information but it got sent back to me by the server. So anyone have any ideas? I know it's a touchy subject for some but I prefer to be as educated on a subject as possible instead of forming an opinion out of bias.

joeroket

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
I tried emailing them for information but it got sent back to me by the server.
That does not surprise me. Most school districts do not endorse this kind of activity nor is it lawful to use a public e-mail system for personal use.

just_a_car

imported post

Check out Zombie Squad, as funny and tongue-in-cheek as their name is, they do a lot of good post-disaster work (such as helping out in the wake of Katrina) and help out their members be ready for large natural and man-made disasters.

Also, look into your county's Search & Rescue groups (there is also ES&R - Explorer S&R - for younger folk from 14 and up). At the very least, it will get you semi-prepared for helping to find people and help survive in the wilderness.

As for "militia" groups, I'd steer far clear of any that advertise themselves as such, as any kind of group you'd want to be associated with wouldn't call themselves that.

amlevin

imported post

From the Washington State Constitution:

Article 1 SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

Washington State has not necessarily "Outlawed" militias, it just excluded them from the right to bear arms under the State's Constitution.

Don't know if there are any active "militias" here in Washington but if so I sure hope they aren't like the members of the Michigan Militia (as well as other states) that were shown on the news several years ago. They looked like a bunch of overweight middle aged men that liked to wear "Cammies", play in the woods with their para-military rifles, then go home and sleep in a soft warm bed (after many brewski's).

Trigger Dr

imported post

Take this with in cheek, but if a city is INCORPORATED could this apply to the PD?:celebrate

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Let's face it. If you want to play GI Joe and pat yourself on the back for being a true "patriot" (seeing black helicopters and having a stash of tinfoil for hats on hand is an added bonus) then join a militia. As a plus, you'll get to meet a bunch of other overweight middle aged delusional people who somehow think they have revived the Spirit of 76, plus you'll get to feel special while munching on stale MRE's in the rain while on "training missions."

gsx1138

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Let's face it. If you want to play GI Joe and pat yourself on the back for being a true "patriot" (seeing black helicopters and having a stash of tinfoil for hats on hand is an added bonus) then join a militia. As a plus, you'll get to meet a bunch of other overweight middle aged delusional people who somehow think they have revived the Spirit of 76, plus you'll get to feel special while munching on stale MRE's in the rain while on "training missions."

Bitter much?

I already stated my purpose for my interest. If what you say is actually true then I'll just stick to the range. However, I'd rather research the subject myself.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Sounds like the voice of experience. ;)

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Let's face it. If you want to play GI Joe and pat yourself on the back for being a true "patriot" (seeing black helicopters and having a stash of tinfoil for hats on hand is an added bonus) then join an open carry group. As a plus, you'll get to meet a bunch of other overweight middle aged delusional people who somehow think they have revived the Spirit of 76, plus you'll get to feel special while munching on stale pizzas in the Oly while on "education missions."
Careful with that flamethrower. It can be redirected too easily. Haven't you seen any of the OC get together pictures?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Let's face it.  If you want to play GI Joe and pat yourself on the back for being a true "patriot" (seeing black helicopters and having a stash of tinfoil for hats on hand is an added bonus) then join an open carry group.  As a plus, you'll get to meet a bunch of other overweight middle aged delusional people who somehow think they have revived the Spirit of 76, plus you'll get to feel special while munching on stale pizzas in the Oly while on "education missions."
Careful with that flamethrower.  It can be redirected too easily. Haven't you seen any of the OC get together pictures?

Did you really just question old school pizza?!

sirpuma

imported post

I will say this. For those of you who hate the militia with such venom to be posting what you have, check where you get your info. Also, where will you stand when your government comes to take your guns, will you be able to defend community, let alone your family or yourself. Remember, the ATF, FBI, CIA, Army, Marines AND local/State police TRAIN for war, constantly. How will you counter them if you don't do the same.

You hate the militia, but you fail to realize that OUR COUNTRY was created by the Militia. Our founding fathers had some good words about the militia, for example, "every able bodied man between the ages of 18 and 45". It was so important for our country to have militias that it was put into the Constitution. They never intended for us to have a standing army that invades other countries.

Say what you want, but you may want to actually check your info before you start flaming militias.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sirpuma wrote:
I will say this. For those of you who hate the militia with such venom to be posting what you have, check where you get your info. Also, where will you stand when your government comes to take your guns, will you be able to defend community, let alone your family or yourself. Remember, the ATF, FBI, CIA, Army, Marines AND local/State police TRAIN for war, constantly. How will you counter them if you don't do the same.

You hate the militia, but you fail to realize that OUR COUNTRY was created by the Militia. Our founding fathers had some good words about the militia, for example, "every able bodied man between the ages of 18 and 45". It was so important for our country to have militias that it was put into the Constitution. They never intended for us to have a standing army that invades other countries.

Say what you want, but you may want to actually check your info before you start flaming militias.
I checked it 10 years ago when I started flaming militias, and it's just as current now as it is then.

Comparing the modern day "militia" to the militia of old, which was organized under the laws of the state they were in, and functioned as the local home guard, to the current crop of self declared militias who serve no current function other than to clog up internet boards with tinfoil hat nonsense is like comparing a Yugo to a sports car.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Many militias were started when someone wealthy enough to pay and equip the troops, and popular enough to lead them, got a group of men together and started drilling. Some of these groups joined the government's cause en masse, as an already established unit. The leader would receive a commission commiserate to the number of soldiers he brought to the fight.

Would the government of today tolerate that? Would you? Do you believe the National Guard is a suitable substitute?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Many militias were started when someone wealthy enough to pay and equip the troops, and popular enough to lead them, got a group of men together and started drilling. Some of these groups joined the government's cause en masse, as an already established unit. The leader would receive a commission commiserate to the number of soldiers he brought to the fight.

Would the government of today tolerate that? Would you? Do you believe the National Guard is a suitable substitute?
And those militia units were organized as such under the laws of the state. Heck in Washington, the laws are still on the books for the formation of a militia. Requires the governor's signature.

The national guard is not a militia.

The modern day militia is not a militia.

I'm going into the tinfoil hat business, I can see there is gonna be a huge market in the country pretty soon.