• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Local Militias

Spaceman Spiff

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Anyone who really thinks a militia will over throw our government are fools. The government won't make a huge nationwide change over night it will be very slow and if you wanted to overthrow our government you would not have the support needed from the majority of citizens. Do you really think that militia training will help you against the like of the USMC. The point SV makes is valid a militia should be established to serve state and people instead they are just people who think that when the time comes they will overthrow the government or at best like to play soldier. If you want good military training join the Marines or there are other private companies that offer such training.
The idea of people banding together forthe cause of liberty is great, and is very patriotic. The looney tunes will get weeded out. I don't think ANYONE herethinks or wants to overthrow the GOV.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Wow.

That's a mighty broad brush-load of bad juju you're smearing across a lot of folks.

Some of whom may well have volunteered for the very disasters you list. Some may be those officers and guardsmen you hold in such esteem. I guess for me its not quite as easy to draw such a hard dividing line between decency and a group that large and diverse. I suspect there may, on occasion, be a bit of overlap.
Jim, in case you did not notice I specifically targeted the "militias". I didn't wonder what INDIVIDUALS volunteered in those disasters, I wanted to know where the much vaunted and regarded "MILITIA" was during all that crap.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
SV, have the crackpots finally gotten to you down there in Oly? What's with the hate all the sudden?
No, it's the crackpots on all the gun boards that have finally gotten to me. They are like hippies, only in cammo and with tacticool rifles.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

sirpuma wrote:
Your reaction is typical of those who blindly listen to the government and media.
And your reaction is typical of those who blindly listen to people who tell you what people who "blindly listen to government and the media." In otherwords you're full of it.

God forbid I form a contrary idea on my own. That you can't seem to handle, so you fall back on the comfort zone of saying a person is brainwashed. Because in your mind you can't fathom someone willingly believing this on their own without government or media interference doesn't make it so.

Jeez this place is looking more like The AK Files or some other paranoid nutter sight...

Ohio Patriot

imported post

I am a member of a militia group. And I'm not simply a member... I formed a militia group back in 2002, and we're still going strong. Here's our web site:

http://champaigncounty.tripod.com/

We train once a month. Here's a list of the training sessions we've had over the past six years:

http://champaigncounty.tripod.com/id4.html

We are a fairly active militia group - probably the largest and most active one in the state if you don't count http://www.sodf.org/ (which is state-wide). We do not hide - we train right out in the open. Many of our members are former military. One is a sheriff's deputy. Many have college degrees. They're all regular Joes, just like you and me.

You can't judge a militia group by the actions of just one man or one group. This is a poor analogy, admittedly, but us gun owners get very upset when the media portrays all gun owners as violent psychopaths based upon the actions of a few bad apples. The same can be applied to militia members. There are some undesirable ones out there, for sure. But the vast majority of us are good, moral, upstanding citizens.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

If you are interested in the training there are a lot of places to learn and to train. Dave up here in Bellingham at Survival Solutions offers classes.

IF you were looking to join a Militia, be careful, the Gov. watches those intently. Also although I won't go to the same extreme as SV-Libertarian, I would be careful of the type of folks you associate with in a lot of those militia groups.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

We also have a state guard here in Ohio. Some of our memberswere oncemembers of it. From what they tell me, the state guard is a big waste of time. It's all classroom instruction, and they don't even train with weapons.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I would be careful of the type of folks you associate with in a lot of those militia groups.
I've been involved in the militia for quite a while and have met many militia members over the years. The vast majority are good folk. Over the six years I've been operating this group, I've only had problems with three people. That's not bad, considering the number of people who have been in our group.

gsx1138

imported post

Man, I leave for a day or two and look what happens. Basically, I've never been in the military and I can spend days at the range but still lack basic skills. Like I stated, I need to get my fat ass out of the house and I would like to learn something useful with my "tacticool" rifle. I get SV Libertarians trepidation but I prefer to form my own opinion.

Thanks for all the info guys. And as I expected everyone would have some kind of opinion either way. But that's what is great about this country; we don't all have to agree on everything.

I was at my daughters Goju Ryu belt test today and my wife says some guy was there talking about the OC'ing. So if you happen to see this, hi. :celebrate

Hammer

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
SV, have the crackpots finally gotten to you down there in Oly? What's with the hate all the sudden?
No, it's the crackpots on all the gun boards that have finally gotten to me. They are like hippies, only in cammo and with tacticool rifles
sv_libertarian wrote:
Jeez this place is looking more like The AK Files or some other paranoid nutter sight...
Wonder why that is?:lol:

gsx1138, if you want some practice with your tacticool rifle, come up to Custer and shoot with us. We shot Speed Steel today. There were a couple in my squad doing sub-3 second times.
There won't be anyone handing out business cards for their own private militia, thus proving sv's point- at least according to his logic.

Datacrypt1

imported post

The Washington State Guard is a subordinate element of the Washington State Military Department. That said, their orders come from the same place as the Washington National Guard (WNG) both Army and Air.

That would be the Director of the Washington State Military Dept., who is also the Adjutant General of the the WNG. A position appointed by the Governor of the State of Washington.

I'm not sure you can clump them into the "militia" category any more than you can the National Guard. Their role generally entails filling in for activated WNG members, acting as liasons between the WNG and local agencies, they also assist the WNG with its more domesticated training needs. Its also seems worth pointing out that they utilize many pieces of the WNG and State infrastructure.

I'm not stating a postion here. I just thought that if the State Guard was going to be thrown into the argument and used to represent a "militia" type organization I'd point these few facts out. I think the general idea of a militia seems to entail a level of seperation from State and Federal government, the Washington State Guard is definatley not seperated from the State of Washington.

gsx1138

imported post

Hammer wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
No, it's the crackpots on all the gun boards that have finally gotten to me. They are like hippies, only in cammo and with tacticool rifles
sv_libertarian wrote:
Wonder why that is?:lol:

gsx1138, if you want some practice with your tacticool rifle, come up to Custer and shoot with us. We shot Speed Steel today. There were a couple in my squad doing sub-3 second times.
There won't be anyone handing out business cards for their own private militia, thus proving sv's point- at least according to his logic.

Custer? As in last stand? I'm always willing to listen and learn.

New Daddy

imported post

Datacrypt1 wrote:
The Washington State Guard is a subordinate element of the Washington State Military Department. That said, their orders come from the same place as the Washington National Guard (WNG) both Army and Air.

That would be the Director of the Washington State Military Dept., who is also the Adjutant General of the the WNG. A position appointed by the Governor of the State of Washington.

I'm not sure you can clump them into the "militia" category any more than you can the National Guard. Their role generally entails filling in for activated WNG members, acting as liasons between the WNG and local agencies, they also assist the WNG with its more domesticated training needs. Its also seems worth pointing out that they utilize many pieces of the WNG and State infrastructure.

I'm not stating a postion here. I just thought that if the State Guard was going to be thrown into the argument and used to represent a "militia" type organization I'd point these few facts out. I think the general idea of a militia seems to entail a level of seperation from State and Federal government, the Washington State Guard is definatley not seperated from the State of Washington.
I realize that there are a lot of Constitutional Scholars on the internet, and I'm the new guy here, however if you read the Militia Act as passed on May 8, 1792, Part III, you'll see that what you've stated above is clearly what the militia was intended to be: http://www.constitution.org/mil/mil_act_1792.htm

"III. And be it further enacted, That within one year after the passing of the Act, the militia of the respective states shall be arranged into divisions, brigades, regiments, battalions, and companies, as the legislature of each state shall direct; and each division, brigade, and regiment, shall be numbered at the formation thereof; and a record made of such numbers of the Adjutant-General's office in the state; and when in the field, or in serviced in the state, such division, brigade, and regiment shall, respectively, take rank according to their numbers, reckoning the first and lowest number highest in rank. That if the same be convenient, each brigade shall consist of four regiments; each regiment or two battalions; each battalion of five companies; each company of sixty-four privates. That the said militia shall be officered by the respective states, as follows: To each division on Major-General, with two Aids-de-camp, with the rank of major; to each brigade, one brigadier-major, with the rank of a major; to each company, one captain, one lieutenant, one ensign, four serjeants, four corporals, one drummer, and one fifer and bugler. That there shall be a regimental staff, to consist of one adjutant, and one quartermaster, to rank as lieutenants; one paymaster; one surgeon, and one surgeon's mate; one serjeant-major; one drum- major, and one fife-major."

I know it's not popular in a lot of circles to talk about it but the militia was always intended to be under the control of the State government. You'll find a lot variations throughout US history, but any recognized militia has always been under the command of an elected body.

Datacrypt1

imported post

When I said "general idea" I probably should have said "general perception".
Words only mean as much as their common interpretation, the ideas they inspire when used in conversation, written in text, or repeatedly over the common mediums. Is a Mini-14 with a 20 round magazine an assault weapon? You'll never get the same answer 100% of the time due to perception. I think if you asked a 100 random people what a militia was you'd get some pretty interesting answers.

So... I was addressing the perception, not the definition. For the sake of clarity.