• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

awesome OC experience...

rpyne

imported post

I guess I might be one of them there extremists too. My sig on another forum is

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech as the 1964 Republican Presidential candidate.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

fedup wrote:
utbagpiper wrote:
fedup wrote:
wow. you guys sure are showing the man!
Troll alert.

A new account and 6 posts and most of them seem at least implicitly hostile to exercise of one's rights.

How about the courtesy and courage of an introduction fedup? Maybe let us know why you are here? And what your general view of life is?

Charles Hardy
Why I am here.....hmmm.

'First cause I support gun rights.

Second, cause I am sad about the negative view I perceive the public has about Open Carry gun nuts.

Third, Im getting the feeling that many of us contribute to the negative image by our own actions.

How would you define a troll?

Is it someone that does not agree with you?

thats how it appears.
If you really think that it appears I believe anyone who doesn't agree with me is a troll, then I have to really question your perception of what the public thinks or feels about those who carry guns (openly or concealed.)

Fact of the matter is, on any given day, upwards of 95% of the general public will not even notice a person openly carrying a gun on his hip. Many of those who do notice will likely make assumptions about the person being a police officer. A few will be uncomfortable and leave the area. A VERY rare person will make a fuss.

At least, this has been my experience and seems to be the experience of all but a few who do carry.

I believe that how one dresses and comports himself while openly carrying will contribute to how he is perceived. The younger guys will get more attention than us fat old men; those who dress in grunge or have body "art" will get more attention than those of us who figure a decent pair of jeans and a polo shirt are plenty casual for all but the most strenuous work or athletic events; the gals get even less grief than well dressed fat old men.

As for my view of a troll, it is a person who makes inflammatory postings that contribute nothing to the debate.

A one line one snipe of "showing the man" or something similar, as I saw you do on SEVERAL threads does NOT advance the debate. It does not make clear what you think is wrong or how it might corrected. They are simply snide comments that any rational man has to KNOW it will be received as hostile and will almost assuredly result in responses.

THAT is the classic definition of a troll: make posts for the sole purpose of getting responses.

And THAT is why I used the term in reference to you.

And I'll be blunt, those who roundly oppose OC, really have no business being here. This IS a pro-OC forum.

If you actually support OC, and would like to contribute something constructive to the debate, you need to do more than troll will one line sniping. EXPLAIN yourself. Explain why something bothers you. Offer some suggestions on what to do differently.

AND, be prepared for people to disagree with you. Freedom is like that.

And you MIGHT start with an introduction. Despite the use of semi-anonymous user-names, most of us really prefer to have some idea of with whom we are corresponding. Unless someone is just a coward, a troll, or overly paranoid, there is really no reason not to make some introductions with at least a first name and city/state of residence.

Charles