• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly Blocks CC in National Parks

spy1

imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...03/19/AR2009031902801.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Judge Blocks Bush Rule Allowing Concealed Weapons in National Parks

" By Del Quentin Wilber Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 19, 2009; 5:35 PM

A federal judge today blocked a last-minute rule enacted by President Bush allowing visitors to national parks to carry concealed weapons.
U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit brought by gun-control advocates and environmental groups. The Justice Department had sought to block the injunction against the controversial rule.
The three groups that brought the suit -- the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the National Parks Conservation Association and the Coalition of National Park Service Retires -- argued the Bush Administration violated several laws in issuing the rule.
In her ruling, Kollar-Kotelly agreed that the government's process had been "astoundingly flawed."
The regulation took effect Jan. 9 and allowed visitors to carry loaded concealed guns into national parks and wildlife refuges. In the past, they had been allowed in such areas only if they were unloaded, stored or dismantled

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Looks like I'm forced into a life of daily criminality again! Oh... wait... I don't CC in the Park... (Nobody else does either). I don't CC thru there at all. Where do they get these... 'people'?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A native New Yorker judge who went to law school in DC in 1968 and has lived and worked there since, has worked for the gov't for 25 of the last 37 years and was appointed to the federal bench by Bill Clinton ruled in favor of infringing 2A rights?? I can't imagine!!

PT111

imported post

spy1 wrote:
Yes, but we knew it was coming as soon as we saw the hyphenated last name of the judge! :banghead:
As Lewis Grizzard use to say, "The most dangerous thing in the world is a female lawyer with a hyphneated last name".

No NAU

imported post

"argued the Bush Administration violated several laws in issuing the rule. "

I would argue the original rule the Bush decision overturned is null and void because it violates the 2a.

How can we be restricted from exercising a constitutional right on property we own?

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Judge Kotelly we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You weep for Obama and the Brady's. You have that luxury. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

We use words like Natural Rights, Allegiance, Protection, Life and Liberty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a Judge who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom our founding FATHERS provided, then questions the manner in which they proscribed it. I'd prefer you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Judge Kotelly we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You weep for Obama and the Brady's. You have that luxury. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

We use words like Natural Rights, Allegiance, Protection, Life and Liberty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a Judge who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom our founding FATHERS provided, then questions the manner in which they proscribed it. I'd prefer you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think.
Great unattributed quote from the Movie, A Few Good Men, as spoken the the actor Jack Nicholson. Unfortunately, Mr. Nicholson's character in the movie was guilty of violating the law.

We want those not guilty of violation who have been denied their rights... but I preach to the chior.

JoeSparky

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Check out her wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleen_Kollar-Kotelly

Pay close attention to the random words that have capitol letters in them.
I generally find such edits in Wikipedia annoying but I have to admit that this time I LOL. The edit adding "Generally regarded as completely incompetent, and enjoys legislating from the bench" was removed but this change was apparently subtle enough that it has not yet been caught.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Check out her wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleen_Kollar-Kotelly

Pay close attention to the random words that have capitol letters in them.

I find such manipulation and concealed communications OFFENSIVE. I don't suggest that you were in fact the individual that did such editing.

I may disagree with her on philisophical, moral, ethical, political, or on many other basis but I will not stoop to name calling.

If I have stooped to name calling in the past, I apologize for such behavior.

No NAU

imported post

I just had the sickening realization that U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly could possibly be nominated for SCOTUS during Barry's presidency...