• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need a recomendation....

guardianrule

imported post

Me and the wife want to pick up a pistol with the tax returns, but I dont know too much about the different types, I need one that wont knock the wife on her a** but still have good firepower. Any ideas?

Thecarguy

imported post

Great question!

As I'm thinking of buying a pistol for my wife, it will be a Taurus 9mm. I shot one and was very impressed. All this for $410. Put some nice inexpensive grips on and it's a beautiful gun. Let me know if you want to know where you can get/look at one. Of course it depends on where you're at.

Here's a link for the Taurus

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?page=4

FWIW, with all due respect for the guy that posted below, I think a .357 is too much for a female new shooter. If you're going to carry it as .357, you need to practice with it as a .357. A lot of police carry 9mm with defensive rounds at a reasonable cost.

FogRider

imported post

I would suggest going to a range that rents guns and trying a few. You might not find the exact model you want, but you can figure out what type of gun you want.

If it was me, I'd look at a .357 revolver (possibly a smaller frame model), that way you can target shoot with .38sp (anyone can hang on to that) and put some .357 mags in it for personal defense (I'm kinda assuming that's why you want it).

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Definitely rent some guns and try them out, or at least go to a gun show for some serious window shopping (fondling). You want to try and find something that fits your/her hands comfortably. Start reading some forums for pro's and cons that your looking for. Consider if our going to carry the weapon for SD or just target shooting. What kind of safety features, stopping power, etc.

Ken

SlackwareRobert

imported post

My wife had a .357 revolver, loved it, been shooting it since her 20's.
Had to give it up when her job forced her to constantly enter Canada,
so couldn't carry.
But she will not go semi, and I have no problem with another revolver.
Trying to convince her she realy wants the Judge though.:celebrate

She has fired one mag from my Wildey, and while she says it is a
bit much :shock:. But if they are kicking at the door, she said she will grab it first.
And she wonders why I love her so much.

But it is hand fit that makes all the difference, so grab them and hold them.
The ranges down here are very slim for revovers, so can't try them out.
Lite gun, large load = more kick, so don't just look for the lightest gun.

I am dreading the ammo prices at the gun show this weekend.

FREEDOM_FOREVER

imported post

FogRider wrote:
I would suggest going to a range that rents guns and trying a few. You might not find the exact model you want, but you can figure out what type of gun you want.

If it was me, I'd look at a .357 revolver (possibly a smaller frame model), that way you can target shoot with .38sp (anyone can hang on to that) and put some .357 mags in it for personal defense (I'm kinda assuming that's why you want it).

+1 (I always suggest revolvers for first time buyers/shooters)

Also, there is a gun show this weekend. You should snoop around there.

DenWin

imported post

My favorite so far that I would recommend for a new shooter is my Sig P-229 chambered for .357 Sig. It has a bit more stopping power than the 9mm, not to much kick to it, compact, and if it's good enough for the Air Marshals I figure it's good enough for me :p But as said before, feel them, make sure they fit nice, and shoot them, make sure you can control it. Have fun at the range!

Jeffytune

imported post

Hi.

A pistol is a very personal choice, aqnd it really can make a difference knowing how tall your wife is.
My wife is 5 10" and can handle my 1911A1, my PT917C or my .41 magnum if needed.

Taurus makes quite a few good 9MM and .380's from sub com-pact to the full size PT-92/99 models.

The best thing I can suggest is go top like the Rose city gun show and have her try out a few pistols, just don't buy the first one she likes, have her hold as many as she can, that way she will get the one that feels the best.

LanceOregon

imported post

A Kahr pistol or Walther PPS in 9mm would be about ideal, if you would like to get her something better quality than a Taurus. Both the Kahr handguns and the Walther PPS are lightweight, compact ( especially thin ), and available in either 9mm or .40 S&W

The Kahr works much like a revolver, with a real smooth DA trigger pull, while the PPS is very much like a Glock, except that it is far, far thinner.

Orygunner

imported post

I agree that the best thing to do is GO SHOOT SOME! No matter how much research you do and if you decide to figure it out before you buy, find a good gun store with a range and go shoot!

My wife wasn't sure what she wanted, so we went to Baron's Den just south of Eugene and the staff there were very helpful. Theyshowed her several guns, and took her out to the range with a few of them (afew glocks and a couple of Kahrs).She couldn't stand the feel of the Kahr when she shot it, and liked the Glocks better. She shot the Glock 19 the best, and she liked the feel of it the best, so that's what we bought.

You could also find a friend with a few handguns and see if he'll go out shootin' with ya to see what she likes.

For the choice of caliber, I believe that you should carry the largest power firearm you can comfortably handle and carry. I'm limited to a pocket gun for concealed carry, which means I'm kinda stuck at a .380 ACP. (Kel-Tec P-3AT) However, my OC gun is now a .357 magnum :)...

The bigger the cartridge, the better the "stoppping power" and that's the main point. Don't necessarily pick a .32 because you don't think she could handle bigger, but don't pick a .45 because you think you have to.

There's so many factors it's hard to nail down "Here: get this one." I'd recommend buying a good used firearm, because if you decide you don't like it, you can probably re-sell it for closer to what you bought it for than if you buy new. There's some good buyer's guides for revolvers and semi-autos on the internet that tell you what to look for when buying a used gun.

...Orygunner...

Dannny L

imported post

Thecarguy wrote:
Great question!

As I'm thinking of buying a pistol for my wife, it will be a Taurus 9mm. I shot one and was very impressed. All this for $410. Put some nice inexpensive grips on and it's a beautiful gun. Let me know if you want to know where you can get/look at one. Of course it depends on where you're at.

Here's a link for the Taurus

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?page=4

FWIW, with all due respect for the guy that posted below, I think a .357 is too much for a female new shooter. If you're going to carry it as .357, you need to practice with it as a .357. A lot of police carry 9mm with defensive rounds at a reasonable cost.

With all do respect the person man or women in a defencive shoting will not feel the recoil. The problem like you stated is in practice with the gun. In the case of a .357 you can shot .38 although you should be shoting what you practice with in a defencive mode. Out of all the big game I've taken I've yet to notice the recoil at the time of the shot. Maybe it's just me you might ask other hunters. 9mm is a good choice. Remember it's not the size of the gun but the placement of the shot.