• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo at Big 5 checkout issue

Vegassteve

imported post

I was in a shopping center on Wednesday that had a Big 5. I needed some golf balls and spikes etc. I checked out the ammo section and they had some 9mm. The wife needed some so I picked some up.

As I was checking out the young lady asked if the ammo was for me. I replied with a excuse me? She repeated, I then informed her it was none of her business. She said she needed to know, and I again refused. After refusing 4 times she did ring me up. As far as I know and I could be wrong there is no law for this. Is that correct?

In all the years we have lived around here this is the first time I ever bought ammo at a Big 5 and it was also the first time I was ever asked this.

Flyer22

imported post

Based on my experiences working at Walmart, I can offer a guess. Mind you, this is based partlyon Colorado law.

She was probably checking to see if it was a straw purchase. Ammo is an item that requires a certain age to buy, and therefore, just like booze or cigarettes, sometimes somebody who is younger than that will ask somebody older to buy for them. Different companies have vastly different policies on how to handle the sale of such items.

jfrey123

imported post

Wow, that Colorado experience helps in NV :lol: :p

But like the mountain man said, if it's anything it's company policy. There's been no Nevada law like that ever. Even if you said it's for your Fairy God Mother, there's no law that says they can't sell it to you.

For me personally that'd be my last day buying ammo at Big 5. Besides, I just came from the Cabela's here outside of Reno and they're stocked to the brim with ammo...

wayneco

imported post

Word up on that. I was at Cabelas this evening, I was surprised to see so much handgun ammo there. Mind you it was more expensive than the Blaser stuff at Wal Mart but it was there.

As usual, LOTS of 12 gauge, too.

Last week I saw 830 round boxes of .223 at Scheels. Maybe the big run on ammo is easing?