• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State sovereignty

varminter22

imported post

Wow, its here! I had heard this bill might be coming. Am happy to see it for real!

One could argue that this is the most important bill in our legislature!

Please support it!

spiritof76

imported post

Since the primary purpose of government is to secure our pre-existing and inalienable Rights, we need to be vigilant and support whatever measures serve that purpose.

There will be considerable knee-jerk opposition to this movement by those who still associate the concept of state sovereignty with the oppression of southern blacks during the Civil War era.

Today, however, it is not the states but the federal government which has become totally despotic and poses an enormous threat to our families and our freedoms.

We all need to actively support this.

ourmanthejoker

imported post

I've been in contact with my legislators for a while. It goes beyond just that. Most people aren't even aware of what's going on. I've educated all my family members and friends at work about it.

spiritof76

imported post

ourmanthejoker wrote:
It goes beyond just that. Most people aren't even aware of what's going on.
The dark side's weakness is exposure to the light. That's why they do everything in their power to keep everyone in the dark, distracted with high-definition football and CNN stories about cute puppies getting adopted. What is going on in the USA and indeed the world is far more than "politics as usual."

Knowledge is power. If we are to have any chance at preserving human freedom in America and indeed in the world, we need to rapidly educate ourselves now while the window of opportunity is still open, and also do everything we are able to educate our families, friends and neighbors to the very real and deadly situation which threatens us all. We are already far along the path towards complete "Sovietization," or whatever you want to call the nightmare which is quickly become plain to see.

varminter22

imported post

AJR-15 Referred to Committee on Elections, Procedures, Ethics, and Constitutional Amendments
Assembly Elections, Procedures, Ethics, and Constitutional Amendments - 75th (2009) Session

Agendas and Minutes: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/reports/committeeindexAssembly.cfm?ID=4

Regular Meetings in Room 3142 at 3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Elections, Procedures, and Ethics: Ellen Koivisto, Chair; Harry Mortenson, Vice Chair

Constitutional Amendments: Harry Mortenson, Chair; Ellen Koivisto, Vice Chair

Marcus Conklin
William Horne
Ruben Kihuen
Harvey Munford
James Ohrenschall
Tick Segerblom
Debbie Smith
Ty Cobb
Heidi Gansert
John Hambrick
James Settelmeyer
Please email, write, call or fax the (above) committee members and voice strong support for AJR-15.
Email contact info for the above committee members:

Cobb, Ty
tcobb@asm.state.nv.us

Conklin, Markus
mconklin@asm.state.nv.us

Gansert, Heidi S
hgansert@asm.state.nv.us

Hambrick, John
jhambrick@asm.state.nv.us

Horne, William
whorne@asm.state.nv.us

Kihuen, Ruben
rkihuen@asm.state.nv.us

Koivisto, Ellen M
Elections, Procedures, and Ethics, Chair;
Constitutional Amendments, Vice Chair
ekoivisto@asm.state.nv.us

Mortenson, Harry
Elections, Procedures, and Ethics, Vice Chair;
Constitutional Amendments, Chair
hmortenson@asm.state.nv.us

Munford, Harvey J
hmunford@asm.state.nv.us

Ohrenschall, James
johrenschall@asm.state.nv.us

Segerblom, Tick
rsegerblom@lvcoxmail.com

Settelmeyer, James
jsettelmeyer@asm.state.nv.us

Smith, Debbie
dsmith@asm.state.nv.us

Full contact info (for all Assemblymen) here: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/Legislators/Assembly/alist.cfm

And don't forget, you can anonymously share your opinion (cast your 'vote') and type an optional opinion here:
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/opinions/Poll/?CFID=1128668&CFTOKEN=10304530

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I hope it passes, as it would be a step in the right direction. However, absent the state getting an actual backbone, I tend to think this is a tempest in a teapot.

How much credibility do we have complaining about Federal encroachment on states' rights when we keep sending people like Harry Reid to Washington.

Something like this rings a little more true coming from Montana, Idaho, Wyoming than it does Nevada (imo).

Here's to small steps and small victories,
Bob

jfrey123

imported post

So someone explain the full ramifications of this bill to me, in "Nevada schools are 50th in the USA" style English.

At face value to me, it looks like it doesn't specifically say what we'll be doing for ourselves. On the other hand, it makes me think if the Obamanites passed a AWB, we'd get to claim it doesn't effect us...

Help. :D

varminter22

imported post

Many states have introduced sovereignty resolutions, and some have passed.

It is a "resoloution"basically asserting states' rights and "invoking" the 10th amendment to our great U.S. Constitution.

http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/

http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/about-the-tenth-amendment/

And from http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/tenth-amendment-talking-points/
1. The Constitution was written under the principle of “positive grant.” What this means is quite simple. The federal government is authorized to exercise only those powers which are “positively” “granted” to it by the Constitution. If a power is specifically listed in the Constitution, the federal government can do it - and vice versa. This principle was so important to the founding fathers that they codified it in law as the 10th Amendment.
2. The language of the 10th is clear and concise: “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited to it by the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” Thus, the federal government’s powers are limited to a specific set of activities – the rest is to be handled by the state government, or locally, by the people themselves.

3. The Constitution does not include a congressional power to override state laws. It does not give the judicial branch unlimited jurisdiction over all matters. It does not provide Congress with the power to legislate over everything. This is verified by the simple fact that attempts to make these principles part of the Constitution were soundly rejected by its signers.

4. If the Congress had been intended to carry out anything they claim would promote the “general welfare,” what would be the point of listing its specific powers in Article I, Section 8, since these would’ve already been covered?

5. James Madison, during the Constitutional ratification process, proposed the “Virginia Plan” to give Congress general legislative authority and to empower the national judiciary to hear any case that might cause friction among the states, to give the congress a veto over state laws, to empower the national government to use the military against the states, and to eliminate the states’ accustomed role in selecting members of Congress. Each one of these proposals was soundly defeated. In fact, Madison made many more attempts to authorize a national veto over state laws, and these were repeatedly defeated as well.

6. The Tenth Amendment was adopted after the Constitutional ratification process to emphasize the fact that the states remained individual and unique sovereignties; that they were empowered in areas that the Constitution did not delegate to the federal government. With this in mind, any federal attempt to legislate beyond the Constitutional limits of Congress’ authority is a usurpation of state sovereignty - and illegal.

7. Tragically, the Tenth Amendment has become almost a nullity at this point in our history, but there are a great many reasons to bring it to the forefront. Most importantly, though, we must keep in mind that the Founders envisioned a loose confederation of states – not a one-size-fits-all solution for everything that could arise. Why? The simple answer lies in the fact that they had just escaped the tyranny of a king who thought he knew best how to govern everything – including local colonies from across an ocean.

8. Governments and political leaders are best held accountable to the will of the people when government is local. Second, the people of a state know what is best for them; they do not need bureaucrats, potentially thousands of miles away, governing their lives. Think about it. If Hitler had ruled just Berlin and Stalin had ruled just Moscow, the whole world might be a different place today.

9. A constitution which does not provide strict limits is just the thing any government would be thrilled to have, for, as Lord Action once said, “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

10. We agree with historian Kevin Gutzman, who has said that those who would give us a “living” Constitution are actually giving us a dead one, since such a thing is completely unable to protect us against the encroachments of government power.
Although now a dead bill, take a look at New Hampshire's resolution bill: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2009/HCR0006.html

And the Oklahoma bill which did pass: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/2009-10HB/HJR1003_int.rtf

More state resolutions here: http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/02/23/state-sovereignty-resolutions/

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

jfrey123 wrote:
So someone explain the full ramifications of this bill to me, in "Nevada schools are 50th in the USA" style English.

At face value to me, it looks like it doesn't specifically say what we'll be doing for ourselves.  On the other hand, it makes me think if the Obamanites passed a AWB, we'd get to claim it doesn't effect us... 

Help.  :D

Basically, it does nothing but tell the federal government to be careful.

It is an empty threat at this point, but I think it has some unsaid implications. If the federal government continues to act outside of its constitutional bounds it may find many states quite unhappy.

jfrey123

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Basically, it does nothing but tell the federal government to be careful.

It is an empty threat at this point, but I think it has some unsaid implications. If the federal government continues to act outside of its constitutional bounds it may find many states quite unhappy.
Ok. I had the empty threat vibe, mainly because the news hasn't been running with any of these Sovereignty stories. I understand my Constitution, my Bill of Rights, etc.

I hope this bill gains teeth, yet I'm afraid to see what happens to our leaders once the Fed threatens to pull their state project funding...

ourmanthejoker

imported post

Our sales tax covers everything we need in this state. We don't need federal funding for anything really.

Did you know the department of education only provide about 8 percent of a school's budget on average? ;D

varminter22

imported post

Reliable sources say this bill probably will not get a hearing.

If ya like this bill (resolution), better do some serious emailing to the committee and the Assembly Speaker and the Majority Leader.

spiritof76

imported post

A non-binding 10th Amendment sovereignty resolution sounds good, but in the case of Nevada seems rather counterintuitive because the state constitution explicitly states:

Nevada State Constitution
Article 1 Section 2

Purpose of government; paramount allegiance to United States. All political power is inherent in the people[.] Government is instituted for the protection, security and benefit of the people; and they have the right to alter or reform the same whenever the public good may require it. But the Paramount Allegiance of every citizen is due to the Federal Government in the exercise of all its Constitutional powers as the same have been or may be defined by the Supreme Court of the United States; and no power exists in the people of this or any other State of the Federal Union to dissolve their connection therewith or perform any act tending to impair[,] subvert, or resist the Supreme Authority of the government of the United States. The Constitution of the United States confers full power on the Federal Government to maintain and Perpetuate its existance [existence], and whensoever any portion of the States, or people thereof attempt to secede from the Federal Union, or forcibly resist the Execution of its laws, the Federal Government may, by warrant of the Constitution, employ armed force in compelling obedience to its Authority.

If you want to have any real effect, then rather than supporting the non-binding 10th Amendment resolution which has just been introduced in the Nevada state legislature, you ought to ask your representative why your state constitution explicitly surrenders all power to the federal government. I also suggest it would be instructive to study the history of this provision, and find out who exactly was responsible for its insertion into the constitution in the first place, and just whose payroll they were on.

varminter22

imported post

spiritof76 wrote:
A non-binding 10th Amendment sovereignty resolution sounds good, but in the case of Nevada seems rather counterintuitive because the state constitution explicitly states:

Nevada State Constitution
Article 1 Section 2

Purpose of government; paramount allegiance to United States. All political power is inherent in the people[.] Government is instituted for the protection, security and benefit of the people; and they have the right to alter or reform the same whenever the public good may require it. But the Paramount Allegiance of every citizen is due to the Federal Government in the exercise of all its Constitutional powers as the same have been or may be defined by the Supreme Court of the United States; and no power exists in the people of this or any other State of the Federal Union to dissolve their connection therewith or perform any act tending to impair[,] subvert, or resist the Supreme Authority of the government of the United States. The Constitution of the United States confers full power on the Federal Government to maintain and Perpetuate its existance [existence], and whensoever any portion of the States, or people thereof attempt to secede from the Federal Union, or forcibly resist the Execution of its laws, the Federal Government may, by warrant of the Constitution, employ armed force in compelling obedience to its Authority.

If you want to have any real effect, then rather than supporting the non-binding 10th Amendment resolution which has just been introduced in the Nevada state legislature, you ought to ask your representative why your state constitution explicitly surrenders all power to the federal government. I also suggest it would be instructive to study the history of this provision, and find out who exactly was responsible for its insertion into the constitution in the first place, and just whose payroll they were on.

You make a good point. Perhaps the issue lies here:
... the Paramount Allegiance of every citizen is due to the Federal Government in the exercise of all its Constitutional powers as the same have been or may be defined by the Supreme Court of the United States ...

It appears obvious to many people the Federal gov't has progressed the bounds of the U. S. Constitution in many areas - with improper checks & balances by the Supreme Court.

Although you raise a very good point, I'll opine there is no conflict with AJR-15 as it is a resolution and not a law.

More comments from everyone, please.

Vegas_Dave

imported post

I really have to agree with spiritof76... with that in the state constitution, it is virtually saying that we are not Nevadans... we just live in an area called Nevada and we are Americans (not in the good patriotic sense).

To me, a 10th ammendmant resolution seems foolish and has absolutely no teeth in light of the Nevada Constitution. Perhaps this was written intentionally in when Nevada became a state in the Civil War in fear that it too might cede to the Confederacy.