• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pulled over

kyboyy

imported post

So i was turning from Dixie Hwy in Florence tonight onto Turfway road when i saw blue lights behind me. So i pulled over and turned on the interior lights. i was kinda paranoid, this was the first time i'd been pulled over since purchasing my 9mm...
I held my hands on the steering wheel until the officer approached and asked for my license, registration, and insurance. i told him that i had a loaded 9mm in the glovebox where the insurance and registration were located. He said ok, so i reached in and handed it to him. he asked if i had a permit to carry concealed and i told him no, id rather open carry. He said ok and walked to his car. Came back handed me my ticket for no seatbelt lol and said have a nice day. I've heard horror stories from friends getting pulled over who have permits and was kinda expecting a lot more. really glad it went over so well....

phantom1984

imported post

Sounds to me that you handled the situation perfectly. I have a permit to carry concealed Ive had one ever since KY started it. I still get nervious when i get pulled over.

phantom1984

imported post

Another thing even when im not carrying the police in my erea KNOW that i have a permit even before they ask for my drivers license . It must be in my records when they run my plate.

kyboyy

imported post

yeah, i'm sure it is... someone also told me that even though we don't register guns in kentucky that if we buy one from a dealer, the paper work we fill out does register it to you and they said that shows up when your name is ran... is that true?

superdemon

imported post

phantom1984 wrote:
Another thing even when im not carrying the police in my erea KNOW that i have a permit even before they ask for my drivers license . It must be in my records when they run my plate.
When your license plate info is ran, the computer that querries it is LINK. When your registration is ran, the operator's license of the registered owner is also querried. When the OL is querried, your CCDW info comes back. SO if you are driving your car, then yes, technically this is true. It's not attached to the plate, but to the OL.

superdemon

imported post

kyboyy wrote:
yeah, i'm sure it is... someone also told me that even though we don't register guns in kentucky that if we buy one from a dealer, the paper work we fill out does register it to you and they said that shows up when your name is ran... is that true?

No, absolutely not.

No weapon info of any type is registered with the state. The only thing that comes back is the CCDW permit status.

Of course, when we pull you over, and we get a CCDW status, we just assume that you have a weapon.

But again, there is no handgun registration in KY.

superdemon

imported post

kyboyy wrote:
So i was turning from Dixie Hwy in Florence tonight onto Turfway road when i saw blue lights behind me. So i pulled over and turned on the interior lights. i was kinda paranoid, this was the first time i'd been pulled over since purchasing my 9mm...
I held my hands on the steering wheel until the officer approached and asked for my license, registration, and insurance. i told him that i had a loaded 9mm in the glovebox where the insurance and registration were located. He said ok, so i reached in and handed it to him. he asked if i had a permit to carry concealed and i told him no, id rather open carry. He said ok and walked to his car. Came back handed me my ticket for no seatbelt lol and said have a nice day. I've heard horror stories from friends getting pulled over who have permits and was kinda expecting a lot more. really glad it went over so well....

Yes, this is EXACTLY how this should be done, and if you all will take heed, nothing ill came of it, as it was handled properly.

KBCraig

imported post

So KY is a "primary offense" seatbelt state? You were pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt?

That sucks. How much did your legislature get for selling out your freedom? The New Hampshire house is debating whether they should join the other 49 states and mandate seatbelts in exchange for a trickle of federal money.

There was a good exchange this week where a freedom lover testified before the committee, and offered to pay $3 to keep his freedom, and then handed cash to the bill sponsor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQasOLtyAmM

(It's more like $2.85 per person, but Rep. Kelly could have kept the change.)

I wear a seatbelt 100% of the time, and have since 1980, long before seatbelts were mandatory. Anyone who rides with me will also wear a seatbelt, or find a different mode of transportation.

That's my choice, and shouldn't be the government's.

kyboyy

imported post

yeah, unfortunately, kentucky can pull you over just for a seatbelt and give you a ticket... fortunately it's only $25 and no court cost so it's no big deal. just a headache. personally, i think it violates my rights. me wearing a seatbelt is not going to save anyone's life except mine. shouldn't that be my choice?

superdemon

imported post

kyboyy wrote:
yeah, unfortunately, kentucky can pull you over just for a seatbelt and give you a ticket... fortunately it's only $25 and no court cost so it's no big deal. just a headache. personally, i think it violates my rights. me wearing a seatbelt is not going to save anyone's life except mine. shouldn't that be my choice?

It does not violate your rights, as you do not have a right to drive in KY. In KY, driving isa privilige granted by the state.

Did you know you don't own your operator's license in the Commonwealth? That is what gives me the right to take it from you.

Additionally, it does save other people's lives, we will go into it if you want.

kyboyy

imported post

i know, that's why i plan to move from the commonwealth.... but no you don't need to elaborate i don't really care to argue on here. that was just my two cents and i don't really care to argue my point...

hotrod

imported post

Sounds like you got the officer that knew glove box carry in Kentucky is not considered concealed. Unlike the officer that pulled me over in Florence a couple of years back and demanded to see my CDWL because my handgun was CONCEALED in the glove box. Called his supervisor, the mayor and a few others within the chain of command. Problem solved. Again, good job and carry on

The only reason we have a seatbelt law is that the federal government threatened to withdraw our highway funds if we did not. The Commonwealth should have said keep the money and see what would have happened

Statesman

imported post

kyboyy wrote:
This has long been an issue with me. I believe this "paperwork" you speak of is national registration just waiting to happen.

It's my understanding, that the dealers are required by federal law to keep record of all gun sales, but this does not mean the gun is registered, yet. The dealers must keep them on hand in case the ATF decides it wants to audit gun dealers, or to harass them, depending on the presidential administration in place. I have no doubt that Eric Holder and his anti-gun team of tyrants will make every effort in the future to make life difficult for gun dealers, as well as owners.

I believe the paper work we all fill out may be confiscated at some point in the future, after congress passes some post H.R. 45 supporting legislation, in order to support the liberals goal of national gun registration.

hotrod

imported post

Statesman wrote:
kyboyy wrote:
This has long been an issue with me. I believe this "paperwork" you speak of is national registration just waiting to happen.

It's my understanding, that the dealers are required by federal law to keep record of all gun sales, but this does not mean the gun is registered, yet. The dealers must keep them on hand in case the ATF decides it wants to audit gun dealers, or to harass them, depending on the presidential administration in place. I have no doubt that Eric Holder and his anti-gun team of tyrants will make every effort in the future to make life difficult for gun dealers, as well as owners.

I believe the paper work we all fill out may be confiscated at some point in the future, after congress passes some post H.R. 45 supporting legislation, in order to support the liberals goal of national gun registration.
I think this administration has way to much on it's plate to mess with any kind of national registration.. Nancy Pelosi said as much 3 weeks ago. She remembers 1994 and the 1996 repercussion much to well. They may stick a toe in the water to check the temperature, but will pull out quickly when they feel the heat.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

superdemon wrote:
It does not violate your rights, as you do not have a right to drive in KY. In KY, driving isa privilige granted by the state.

Did you know you don't own your operator's license in the Commonwealth? That is what gives me the right to take it from you.

Additionally, it does save other people's lives, we will go into it if you want.
Suggested edit:

Kentucky some time ago violated the right of the people to freely travel by instituting a licensing scheme and then, in order to justify said scheme, claimed driving was a privilege granted by the state. (Nevermind that the state can't grant a privilege that didn't already exist as a right insofar as the state derives its power from the people.) The real question is, "Who is dumb enough to accept or believe literally the current legal construct?"

smoking357

Banned
imported post

kyboyy wrote:
If you had to turn on your interior lights, it was dark in the car.

If it was dark in the car, how could he tell you were not wearing a seatbelt?

If you were wearing a seatbelt, you would have taken it off to remove your wallet from your pants prior to the officer arriving at your door.

I read your conduct, and congrats on not getting shot. What a sad country we have become when people have to tiptoe, freeze and only act when ordered when they find themselves in the presence of their government.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

kyboyy wrote:
i know, that's why i plan to move from the commonwealth.

Where are you going? I've been all over, and everywhere is worse than KY.

The fact we're all going to have to admit is that the police have destroyed freedom in America.