Thread: Lynchburg Gun Surrender Program

Post imported post

Long time lurker, first time poster. Apologies in advance if this has already been posted.

http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/news/...nchburg/14508/

A retired police cruiser as a raffle prize for turning in guns? If it's still city property, is that legal?

(note: I don't know if it's now privately owned or city property - stating it's a former police cruiser leaves the question ambiguous, I think.)

Post imported post

Okay, so it goes from:

Turning in for cash to turning in for gift cards to turning in for food to turning in for a raffle ticket.

Post imported post

WOW you mean I can go turn in my guns and get in a raffle to maybe possibly by chance win a old worn out funky cop car?

YIPEEEEYAYYYY where do I sign up at. Who in their right mind would something like this not me that's for sure

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

If I were the shop owner I wouldn't want my name associated with this bunch of garbage. Now I know one place to NEVER give my money. This is outrageous in my own little town. :X

Post imported post

Interesting - by the way, everyone who participates in the raffle may be committing a crime (class three misdemeanor).

Unless of course, the Lynchburg PD has a permit from the Charitable Gaming Board (or if they are exempt because they will receive less than $25,000 in fair market value within twelve months from their gambling operations), every cop who participates in running the raffle is looking at a class six felony.

Now, if they were a volunteer fire squad, they'd be ok.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

user wrote:
    Interesting - by the way, everyone who participates in the raffle may be committing a crime (class three misdemeanor).

Unless of course, the Lynchburg PD has a permit from the Charitable Gaming Board (or if they are exempt because they will receive less than $25,000 in fair market value within twelve months from their gambling operations), every cop who participates in running the raffle is looking at a class six felony.

Now, if they were a volunteer fire squad, they'd be ok.
    This was used against VCDL's raffle (of guns) to support gun stores fighting Bloomberg.

Turn about is fair play.

Anybody down that way able to get an injuction to block the raffle?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Citizen I live in Campbell Co. but workin Lynchburg. I don't know anything about getting an injunction to block this stupidity, but if someone can provide the tutelage perhaps I could take it on.

Post imported post

Well, does whoever is taking in the guns have an FFL/CHP?
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Has anyone ever done a study to find out if gun theft increases during or around one of these events?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    Citizen I live in Campbell Co. but workin Lynchburg. I don't know anything about getting an injunction to block this stupidity, but if someone can provide the tutelage perhaps I could take it on.
    You might contact Philip Van Cleave via VCDL's website. They might know someone that can

1) Guide you.

2) Take it on for you.

3) Take it on for VCDL

Realize that VCDL is a hands-on membership. For example,we cannot chase every library and municipal park that posts an illegal "No Guns" sign.We rely on the membership to take it on. So, don't be surprised if Philip or his designee only connects you to someone who can assist you while you take it on.

Kudos to you if you take it on.

Please, PM me with your Campbell County location.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

According to the article, the buyback raffle is being done in conjunction with a religious organization - it may be being done under their auspices.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Based on VCDL's Bloomberg Gun Giveaway, you should be able to receive a raffle ticket even if you don't turn in a gun.
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    Based on VCDL's Bloomberg Gun Giveaway, you should be able to receive a raffle ticket even if you don't turn in a gun.
    Now THAT'S interesting!!! I wonder if I'll be in Lynchburg in the near future.......:^)