• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lynchburg Gun Surrender Program

SlateGrey

curtiswr

imported post

Okay, so it goes from:

Turning in for cash to turning in for gift cards to turning in for food to turning in for a raffle ticket.

:banghead:

POORBOY

imported post

WOW you mean I can go turn in my guns and get in a raffle to maybe possibly by chance win a old worn out funky cop car?

YIPEEEEYAYYYY where do I sign up at. Who in their right mind would something like this not me that's for sure

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If I were the shop owner I wouldn't want my name associated with this bunch of garbage. Now I know one place to NEVER give my money. This is outrageous in my own little town. :X

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Interesting - by the way, everyone who participates in the raffle may be committing a crime (class three misdemeanor).

Unless of course, the Lynchburg PD has a permit from the Charitable Gaming Board (or if they are exempt because they will receive less than $25,000 in fair market value within twelve months from their gambling operations), every cop who participates in running the raffle is looking at a class six felony.

Now, if they were a volunteer fire squad, they'd be ok.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

user wrote:
Interesting - by the way, everyone who participates in the raffle may be committing a crime (class three misdemeanor).

Unless of course, the Lynchburg PD has a permit from the Charitable Gaming Board (or if they are exempt because they will receive less than $25,000 in fair market value within twelve months from their gambling operations), every cop who participates in running the raffle is looking at a class six felony.

Now, if they were a volunteer fire squad, they'd be ok.

This was used against VCDL's raffle (of guns) to support gun stores fighting Bloomberg.

Turn about is fair play.

Anybody down that way able to get an injuction to block the raffle?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen I live in Campbell Co. but workin Lynchburg. I don't know anything about getting an injunction to block this stupidity, but if someone can provide the tutelage perhaps I could take it on.

Thndr

imported post

Has anyone ever done a study to find out if gun theft increases during or around one of these events?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
Citizen I live in Campbell Co. but workin Lynchburg. I don't know anything about getting an injunction to block this stupidity, but if someone can provide the tutelage perhaps I could take it on.

You might contact Philip Van Cleave via VCDL's website. They might know someone that can

1) Guide you.

2) Take it on for you.

3) Take it on for VCDL

Realize that VCDL is a hands-on membership. For example,we cannot chase every library and municipal park that posts an illegal "No Guns" sign.We rely on the membership to take it on. So, don't be surprised if Philip or his designee only connects you to someone who can assist you while you take it on.

Kudos to you if you take it on.

Please, PM me with your Campbell County location.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

According to the article, the buyback raffle is being done in conjunction with a religious organization - it may be being done under their auspices.