• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court blocks guns in National Parks....

JBinMontana

imported post

I believe we may find out what this judge did was an illegal ruling. The required waiting period was met, and passed and became law Jan 11, 2009.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5irWgvJzXz3UFknRjrJgjierKwnFwD971FQCO0

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge on Thursday blocked a federal rule allowing people to carry concealed, loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly halts a change in regulations issued in the waning days of the Bush administration and orders further review. She set an April 20 deadline for the Interior Department to review the rule and indicate its course of action in response to the injunction.

The rule, which took effect Jan. 11, allowed visitors to carry a loaded gun into a park or wildlife refuge as long as the person had a permit for a concealed weapon and the state where the park or refuge was located allowed concealed firearms. Previously, guns in parks had been severely restricted.

The Obama administration had said it was reviewing the Bush rule but had defended it in court.

Kendra Barkoff, a spokeswoman for Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, said Thursday the department is reviewing the injunction.

The Bush administration issued the gun rule in December in response to letters from half the Senate asking officials to lift the restrictions on guns in parks that were adopted by the Reagan administration in the early 1980s.

The rule went further than a draft proposal issued a year ago and would have allowed concealed weapons even in parks located in states that prohibit the carrying of guns in state parks. Some states allow concealed weapons but also ban guns from parks.

Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, one of two groups that sued to block the rule, called the judge's ruling a victory for the people.

"We're happy that this headlong rush to push more guns into more places has been slowed," he said.

Bryan Faehner, associate director of the National Parks Conservation Association, which also brought suit, said he was extremely pleased.

"We're especially glad to hear that the court is agreeing with the park rangers and the public who are concerned that there will be negative impacts from the regulation and increased likelihood for opportunistic poaching of wildlife and increased risk of violence to the public," Faehner said.

The National Rifle Association had pushed for the change, saying law-abiding citizens had the right to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's national parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulations were inconsistent and unclear, the NRA said.

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations protested the change, complaining that it could lead to confusion and increased danger for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Is it just me or do these people figure that all the law-abiding, gun-toting citizens of this fine country are dangerous and on the verge of shooting up a McDonald's?!
That idiot speaking on behalf of the Brady Campaign sounds like he's of the mindset that we're all gonna go into Glacier Park and pull a Columbine at the nearest visitor's center! These people piss me off.
In my personal opinion, I think the number of bear attacks might actually go down if we're allowed to carry handguns in the park. Up until now, we've all been victims of these behemoths. If we can fight/shoot back I'll bet the bears might realize it's not worth their while. But then PETA and Cleveland Armory and all those other organizations will be in an uproar about the animal's rights, "That poor wittle teddy bear was just looking for some food in that mean gunman's backpack."

Gimme a break Paul, just because a few minorities in a big city seem to shoot it out every once in a while and have problems between their own factions doesn't mean that all the rest of us law-abiding individuals are gonna be the same way! I have yet to threaten anyone in a McDonald's or any other gathering place with my legally-owned handgun! As a matter of fact if it makes you feel better, I'll leave my handgun in it's holster when you're attacked by some drug-crazed, hell-bent-for-leather-thug that wants your wallet and jewelry to fuel his habit. I'll sit on the sidelines and just watch. I wouldn't want to interfere and put the life of that thug in jeopardy when all he's going to do is take the money and other stuff and visit his pharmacist.
Long story short, what harm is going to come from allowing firearms, concealed or not, into National Parks. What difference is there between a National Park and a National Forest. Thousands of guns every year (yes Paul, Concealed and Open-Carried) are carried out into the Flathead National Forest and I can tell you with a surety that the amount of people assaulted and killed by those evil guns is very low! Matter of fact, I got a new holster that prevents my pistol from jumping out on it's own and shooting any innocent by-standers. I feel so much safer way out in the woods and wilderness with a group of responsibly armed friends and family than I do in a Wal-Mart with people I don't even know, even if the Wal-Mart customers are unarmed!!

Ok, enough of that. I get a little bothered by subjects along these lines! All the ignorant people tend to upset me, especially if they're at the head of a national Anti-Gun organization! The words on the tip of my tongue can't be uttered in this forum so I'll bring this to a close!
Hopefully the judge is overruled and we're allowed to carry in the parks!!

Catherine

imported post

Same old - same old dung.

I am so sick of the anti gun - anti freedom garbage in this country. Past and present administrations.

Catherine

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Why can't our illustrious politicians focus on something more prudent and threatening to our national security, like Illegal Immigration or Importation of Illegal Drugs or something like that?! I can't stand the fact that they waste their time, our time and our money on this crap.
So much in the way of Tax-Payer money gets wasted on unnecessary research, rulings and laws that they wonder why we get so pissed off at them (Government). I don't know why this is such a big deal. Like I hinted towards in my earlier post, I haven't got a clue as to where all these 'forest' or 'woods-shootings' are taking place at that all our wonderful (sarcasm intended) politicians are so worried about. They sure as heck aren't happening around here!
This surely can't be the best way to spend their time, it's almost as bad as petitioning our state lawmakers to focus more on allowing us to carry a handgun concealed in Famous Dave's or Olive Garden than allowing law abiding citizens to carry a handgun without first obtaining permission from local government officials!!:quirky I think JB and MT GUNNY know what I mean by that statement!!
:celebrate:celebrate:monkey:monkey

Talk about retarded!!

MT GUNNY

imported post

Another Brady Victory in the Courts!
Federal Judge Blocks Bush Administration Guns in Parks Rule
Dear MT GUNNY,

We had a major victory this week — thanks to you! Your support made it happen!

Yesterday, a federal judge agreed with the Brady Campaign and its fellow plaintiffs. The judge issued a preliminary injunction to block the Bush Administration's last-minute rule change to allow loaded, concealed weapons in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Back in December, we first learned of President Bush's last-minute "gift" to the gun lobby.

We took immediate action and the Brady Center filed a suit on behalf of its Brady Campaign members against the Department of Interior, asking the court to strike down the rule.

Your support made it possible for us to take action immediately!

The NRA then jumped in. The group filed outrageous papers in federal court, impugning Brady members and the Brady organization — even questioning our commitment to public safety and gun violence prevention!

But thanks to your support, we were able to continue to press our case. In February, our lawsuit brought to light key government documents that showed the Bush Administration ignored the warnings of senior career Department officials that the rule change violated several laws.

The judge agreed on this point too. In the ruling, the judge called the government's process "astoundingly flawed." The judge also questioned the NRA's specious reasoning in its filed papers.

We are thrilled with the decision, but it is only preliminary. We will continue to press our case to keep guns out of our national parks and wildlife refuges!

Thank you for all you do to help the Brady Center protect you, your family and your community.

Sincerely,
12908.gif

Sarah Brady, Chair

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Ok, here's a question: Out on Farm to Market Road there's the Ray Kuhn's Wildlife Refuge and on the north end of Flathead Lake is another Wildlife Refuge. What is the Brady Campaign gonna do to me if I carry a handgun, or God forbid a *gulp* Black Rifle, onto one of those places?

I still like what someone said quite a while ago: The Second Amendment is the only Gun Law I follow!!

I want someone to know why it's against the law to carry in a park and what the heck is so dangerous about it?! They won't be able to come up with any reasoning other than to say that it's a step closer to total disarmament of the American people!

By the way MT GUNNY, why in the heck do you have a letter from the Brady Campaign thanking you for your support??

VAopencarry

imported post

40, It's easier to keep track of your 'enemy' when they send you emails about what they are doing. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer....

LeMat

imported post

This is so pathetically stupid I can't even come up with a witty retort. :banghead:

She's a judge - she can do whatever she wants. :banghead:

JBinMontana

imported post

MT GUNNY wrote:
Will this be Unblocked Now or at least in 9 months?
This is the one that should be allowed to go thru after this so called EPA study. We should not have to wait until Feb 2010 for one that was slipped in under the credit card bill, that one is a whole differant passage :banghead: