Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you have ever met a Prius owner........

Post imported post

Post imported post

Jeffytune wrote: holy crap!

that was great.

Post imported post

funny but, not nessesarilya good add timing wise.

Post imported post

AHAHA! Funny scheisse.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

A fitting end for a Pious owner and timely.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I laughed my butt off!!

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

The Prius will fold up like a paper cup in a crash. I got bumped by one while on my motorcycle last fall. Just a bump, mind you, I didn't go down.

Result?

Motorcycle had a scuff on the rear passenger footpeg that rubbed out.

Prius lost his whole front bumper cover.

Banned

Post imported post

Learn the lifecycle of the nickel in the battery. Mined in Canada. Ship powered by Bunker-C to India for refining, to Japan for assembly and the installation in the wouldn't-say-feces Toyota Pious. Learn the integrated pollution of the Pious technology.

Post imported post

The battery hybrid system really is idiotic. It is far more intelligent to use hydraulics instead of a big ass battery.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

WOW! Am I glad I own a Nissan now!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've always considered "keeping up with the Jones's" the most assinine game ever played.

Trying to stay ahead of the Jones's is just a stupid.

Post imported post

I drive a 3/4 ton Chevy pick up I loved watching the little clown cars and the teeny bopper drivers getting stuck in the snow this last winter

Banned

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    It is far more intelligent to use hydraulics instead of a big ass battery.
    So, an engineer or physicist you're not? Otherwise, compare for us the energy density of the best battery that you can find with the energy density of a hydraulic accumulator.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    So, an engineer or physicist you're not? Otherwise, compare for us the energy density of the best battery that you can find with the energy density of a hydraulic accumulator.

I think the idea is to use pumps powered by gasoline or electric motors to generate hydraulic power.

Post imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    The Prius will fold up like a paper cup in a crash.
    That's pretty much the idea. In an accident there are two places all that energy (and even with small vehicles that's a lot of energy) can go: absorbed by the car or absorbed by the passengers. The car is designed to crumple up and absorb the impact. Personally, I'd rather replace a quarterpanel than a hip, yknow?

Gordie wrote:
    I think the idea is to use pumps powered by gasoline or electric motors to generate hydraulic power.
    That seems somewhat inefficient. Why would you want to generate power to supply something to generate power to move the vehicle? Unless I'm not getting the concept here that's just adding an extra step.

Post imported post

Gordie wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Michigander wrote:

There is a trash truck out there that uses hydraulic accumulators to assist in powering it. Probably makes alot of sense on a vehicle that stops and starts as often as that does.

Post imported post

36 MPG? Big whoop. My old Metro would get 50 MPG, and would haul butt for a little 3 cyl RC engine. I used to have no problem hauling the wife, baby, and all my issue gear back in the day.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Michigander wrote:

You're over thinking it. What offers the most energy efficiency is not necessarily the point. What makes the all around most sense is. I am not an engineer, but we are studying these things in my auto mechanic classes.

You can do a lot of things to get extra power from a car. You can put a water jacket on the exhaust pipe, and use that to generate steam power. You can replace standard brakes with a generator that puts a huge drag on the drive shaft so that it stops the car while actually taking some of the power back, rather than simply blowing off that momentum as heat energy. Then, you can use that power to launch yourself from 0-20 or so, without the aid of the engine, because that is the speed with the most fuel consumption with most gear set ups.

I am not claiming to be an expert, far from it. I'd like to know more about this stuff myself, that is why I'm studying it. But a few simple facts are clear. Hybrid electric batteries, if they are good, cost a lot, are full of toxic crap, and don't last too long. Hydraulics are much cheaper, much less toxic, and offer a lot of potential.

At school we are getting ready to build a hydraulic hybrid. It should be interesting.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Gordie wrote: There is a trash truck out there that uses hydraulic accumulators to assist in powering it. Probably makes alot of sense on a vehicle that stops and starts as often as that does.
    The US military is using hydraulics on tanks, and the UPS is using it on delivery trucks. This technology has been around, but has been largely suppressed, for several decades. It is a damned disgrace that it has actually taken the US government to bring it forward. It tells you a lot about auto makers.

Banned

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    You're over thinking it.
    No. I'm retired. I've done all the neat stuff already and made most of the mistakes that I'm gonna make. Your turn, you can start with hydraulics versus a big ass battery.

My 'big ass battery' was made of 250 cells of 1100 pound Exide TLX-39B lead acid cells. Oh, and there were quite a few hydraulic accumulators of 3000 psi and two or three cubic feet.

ETA; two after thoughts.

The Affinity Laws should allow you to see the pressures, volume flow rates of a hydraulic system to be comparable to some other system that you might be familiar with.

I was showering, preparing to dress to go out, when I noticed the effect of an accumulator in the other room. It is a 20 gallon volume 35 - 80 psi pressure range and I can see the flow rate fall off before the pump turns on and recharges it.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    But a few simple facts are clear. Hybrid electric batteries, if they are good, cost a lot, are full of toxic crap, and don't last too long. Hydraulics are much cheaper, much less toxic, and offer a lot of potential.

At school we are getting ready to build a hydraulic hybrid. It should be interesting.
    You are forgetting one major thing: while hydraulics may be able to provide more power and be better than batteries in the future (you admit yourself that this is a technology that's being worked on, which means it's likely not ready for production), hybrid electric is a technology that is able to be used right now. Is it perfect? No, but does work, and works right now.

Post imported post

First off that ad was so damn insulting to the 2A community that blood shot outta my eyes. Not only are we a bunch of polluting anti-hybridders but we will kill people for being insufferable jerks.

Since we are otherwise insanely off topic (as usual with this part of the forum, I think Mike and John have given up.....) lemme tell ya what I would have told Mr. Prius:

"Well, Bro, your 35 MPG is because most of the time youre running on batteries. Batteries that need to be recharged. Now first of all you don't plug that thing into the ground. You plug it into a coal-fire power plant. You may be all smirky aboiut the money I am spending on gasoline NOW; but when your electric bill comes in next month, don't ask to borrow my pants so you can take the pair you just crapped in to the dry cleaner's. Or did you think it takes the same amount of electricity to tool around on the freeway as it does to watch television??

And speaking of your TV (and your refrigerator and your lights and your furnace and all); if I can't cover my gasoline credit card next month, I will still be able to turn on the light in the bathroom so I don't pee al over the floor. If you can't pay the folks who fuel your car, you will stay at home and freeze in the dark while your food spoils. And if everybody was just like you and started using electricity as a motor fuel, the price of electricity would go waaaaaay up for EVERBODY, even as the price of gasoline fell into the basement. And then I would just start up my gas-powered generator and sell my excess power over the grid to the electric company and let you buy it to power your precious little enviro-buggy. Go ahead and make me rich, bud. And one more thing:

I'm just on my way to the range to practice with this neat little popper. It's called a Springfield XDm. DON'T get any ideas about running an extension from my oudoor outlet to your juice-mobile. Without my glasses I might mistake you for someone trying to break in and harm me or mine. Have a nice day, Chauncey."

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    You are forgetting one major thing: while hydraulics may be able to provide more power and be better than batteries in the future (you admit yourself that this is a technology that's being worked on, which means it's likely not ready for production), hybrid electric is a technology that is able to be used right now. Is it perfect? No, but does work, and works right now.
    No, it is available currently. I am the one trying to better understand these things.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d0cf6618525a9efb85257359003fb69d/e1470abd2835dd10852573b40073a08f!OpenDocument

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    First off that ad was so damn insulting to the 2A community that blood shot outta my eyes. Not only are we a bunch of polluting anti-hybridders but we will kill people for being insufferable jerks.

Since we are otherwise insanely off topic (as usual with this part of the forum, I think Mike and John have given up.....) lemme tell ya what I would have told Mr. Prius:

"Well, Bro, your 35 MPG is because most of the time youre running on batteries. Batteries that need to be recharged. Now first of all you don't plug that thing into the ground. You plug it into a coal-fire power plant. You may be all smirky aboiut the money I am spending on gasoline NOW; but when your electric bill comes in next month, don't ask to borrow my pants so you can take the pair you just crapped in to the dry cleaner's. Or did you think it takes the same amount of electricity to tool around on the freeway as it does to watch television??

And speaking of your TV (and your refrigerator and your lights and your furnace and all); if I can't cover my gasoline credit card next month, I will still be able to turn on the light in the bathroom so I don't pee al over the floor. If you can't pay the folks who fuel your car, you will stay at home and freeze in the dark while your food spoils. And if everybody was just like you and started using electricity as a motor fuel, the price of electricity would go waaaaaay up for EVERBODY, even as the price of gasoline fell into the basement. And then I would just start up my gas-powered generator and sell my excess power over the grid to the electric company and let you buy it to power your precious little enviro-buggy. Go ahead and make me rich, bud. And one more thing:

I'm just on my way to the range to practice with this neat little popper. It's called a Springfield XDm. DON'T get any ideas about running an extension from my oudoor outlet to your juice-mobile. Without my glasses I might mistake you for someone trying to break in and harm me or mine. Have a nice day, Chauncey."
    You don't plug a Prius into a wall socket. The gasoline engine and braking charge the batteries up. On the open road they most of the hybrids don't get much better than regular cars but around town they do much better.

Post imported post

Oh yes the regenerative braking feature, which leads to the infuriating behaviour of a hybridder slowing down half a block away from a green light, slowing traffic and resulting in everyone getting a red instead of everyone tooling along at legal speed and making light after light. Thus wasting gallons of gas on everyone ELSES part, but the hybridder is as smug as a toddler on a potty in his moral superiority. I see this every damn day.

What a great metaphor for how the antis think. Mayber this thread isnt so far off topic as I thought....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast