• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

newb qustions sonoma county

freedom4all333

imported post

Hey There every one I'm a newb. I've been going over all the laws and lurking around in the forums. I recently got my pistol and I'm rather eager to get out there with it. I live in a town that is pretty much covered with schools and/or parks with playgrounds, So that's a bit depressing. I do have a couple questions as I live near park and a school within the 1000 foot radius Its an appartment complex with an HOA but no playground but it does have a pool and some grass areas. Does this mean it would be illegal for me to open carry from my door to my car (all in the same complex) or to walk my dog within the area of the apparments?
My last question is there any one from the sonoma county area that open carry's within the county in particular the santa rosa, rohnert park, petaluma areas? well thanks for your time.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Technically you can walk around on the apartment's property while open carrying even if it is within 1000' of a school since it probably is "private property" and is therefore exempt. It should be noted though that one of the members on this board is being prosecuted for being within 1000' of a school even though he was on private property.

The parks/playground thing isn't restricted by state law, you can check your county/city ordinances and see if they list any restrictions.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

The playground/youth center statute is 626.95, and is only an enhancement if you're violating 12025 (concealed weapon), 12031 (loaded weapon), or 417 (brandishing? I think) while on the premises (no 1,000' rule there).

Decoligny

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Technically you can walk around on the apartment's property while open carrying even if it is within 1000' of a school since it probably is "private property" and is therefore exempt. It should be noted though that one of the members on this board is being prosecuted for being within 1000' of a school even though he was on private property.

The parks/playground thing isn't restricted by state law, you can check your county/city ordinances and see if they list any restrictions.

Hate to be technical, but it is my nature, so, technically the parks/playground thing is restricted by state law, but only if you are violating PC 417 (Brandishing), PC 12025 (Concealing), or PC 12031 (Loaded). As long as you aren't doing any of those, then you are fine carrying in a Playground/Park.

However you must be sure that your County or you City doesn't have any ordinances about carry in either a County or City park.

freedom4all333

imported post

Thanks for the quick responses and good info. Hey CA_Lib when are you moving for the FSP? I'm a member too and slowly but surely talking my girlfriend into it.

Hey I noticed a member mudcamper I think that is in within sonoma county area have you had any luck with UOC and any run-ins with LEO's?

I've been thinking about emailing my local departments about it. As I'd prefer the least amount of trouble while bearing.

freedom4all333

imported post

I live over in RP and its just as bad I think I might be able to open carry in the target shopping center but the CHP station is right there and they seem to be the least friendly of LEO's or at least in my opinion. =( oh well I guess. Do you go over to circle s much? I just moved up to this area about a year ago so I'm still trying to find good ranges and circle s and "cow mountain" seem to be the best two area's but I dont have a vehicle that can handle the drive up cow mountain so I'm SOL as far as free ranges go.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

freedom4all333333 wrote:
I live over in RP and its just as bad I think I might be able to open carry in the target shopping center but the CHP station is right there and they seem to be the least friendly of LEO's or at least in my opinion. =( oh well I guess. Do you go over to circle s much? I just moved up to this area about a year ago so I'm still trying to find good ranges and circle s and "cow mountain" seem to be the best two area's but I dont have a vehicle that can handle the drive up cow mountain so I'm SOL as far as free ranges go.
There used to be an indoor range in RP called Montana Hawk, but it closed a couple years back and won't be reopening. (It had another name it's last years of business but I forget what it was.) Yes, I do occasionally go to Circle-S Ranch. It's a decent outdoor range IMO, for rifle and pistol, but for target shooting only. No rapid fire. I'm not sure about holster draw but I would doubt it. I also used to do a lot of shooting up in the Mendocino National Forest, but that's a long drive, and "worse" roads than Cow Mountain. Then there's Bullseye indoor range in San Rafael. They seem to be a good operation but personally I prefer driving into the woods to the indoor range thing.

Back on OC topic. I'm not certain of the school situation in RP, but I'm sure it's not good. There is a way to find many (not all) schools using Google Earth. I did that once for RP, just on the roads to get to a friends house there, and there was no way I could get to his house without going through a couple school zones. I really hate 626.9.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am really considering getting a shotgun rack so that when I drive my pistol can always be in the safe/lock box. As long as the rack locks I am safe from Cal and Fed School Zone laws.

And they thought handguns were trouble! Haha!

freedom4all333

imported post

Yea I wish My car could make it into the woods. =( I guess circle s will have to do for most of the time. 626.9 sucks for soooo many reasons. Its so retarded especially if your driving and you happen to be three blocks away and it isn't even in sight. oh well I guess.:banghead:

SoulGrind

imported post

I'm new here too - Santa rosa area - used to shoot at Montana Hawk/Northbay Firearms. They shut down however. I have not been to Circle S yet. Never heard of Cow Mountain. I sometimes go down to Alemda to shoot with a friend. Would prefer closer.

camsoup

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I am really considering getting a shotgun rack so that when I drive my pistol can always be in the safe/lock box. As long as the rack locks I am safe from Cal and Fed School Zone laws.

And they thought handguns were trouble! Haha!

Doesn't 626.9 only apply to firearms that can be concealed on a person? I believe it states that it doesn't regulate the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm besides one that could be concealed on your person.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

camsoup wrote:
Doesn't 626.9 only apply to firearms that can be concealed on a person? I believe it states that it doesn't regulate the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm besides one that could be concealed on your person.
The federal gun-free school zones act of 1996 prohibits all firearms. The 1996 version of the law is the same exact wording as the 1990 version (which was ruled unconstitutional), except with eight words added onto the end about interstate commerce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

freedom4all333

imported post

Hey soulgrind circle S is pretty good and not too far. Cow mountain is pretty cool but you need a truck or something with decent clearance its north of SR but I don't have the address off hand but Google does wonders for things unknown.

I'm down in RP we should try getting a sonoma county UOC meet up type thing we would have to watch for school zones though as mudcamper pointed out there like mindfeilds around here.

Its a shame to not have the right of such means of self defence as may be necassary because of arbitrary lines they should atleast make a clearly definied line like they do on the roadways anyway to show where we have our freedom and where we do not. ;P