Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a law against

Post imported post

Just curious if I could enjoy a single beer legally while at dinner, not like going to a "bar" or anything of that nature, simply having a beer with dinner, then ofcourse waiting a while to drive or go in public. I did a search , perhaps I should search again

oops did another search with google and found that I can, sorry.

Post imported post

There is no law against it.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    Just curious if I could enjoy a single beer legally while at dinner, not like going to a "bar" or anything of that nature, simply having a beer with dinner, then ofcourse waiting a while to drive or go in public. I did a search , perhaps I should search again.
    Personally firearms and alcohol don't mix. As for me 1 drink = disarmed 8 hours. This is the requirement for standing down from fire and EMS calls for my department also.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
    Pagan wrote:
    Just curious if I could enjoy a single beer legally while at dinner, not like going to a "bar" or anything of that nature, simply having a beer with dinner, then ofcourse waiting a while to drive or go in public. I did a search , perhaps I should search again.
    Personally firearms and alcohol don't mix. As for me 1 drink = disarmed 8 hours. This is the requirement for standing down from fire and EMS calls for my department also.
    Even at home? So if you had couple of glasses of wine with dinner at home, you unload your house gun and keep it away? What if someone breaks in at this time?

Post imported post

one drink at home with dinner is fine. In public, I would NOT drink. This not only slows your reaction time/ affects your judgment, but it will not go over well with people seeing someone OCing and drinking. I know it has freaked me out a little when I see it. I don't know the person nor how much they have drank. For all I know, they could be 10 beers deep and have an irate drunk state.

Post imported post

I wouldn't see why it would be that bad. I have never been or seen anyone no matter the tolerance get drunk, or even buzzed after having a beer (two max) during dinner.

Me personally, it takes about 5 beers to be even slightly affected on account of the quality and amount of beer I drink. I drink beer because I enjoy the taste, but at the same time can't stand being drunk, and haven't been drunk in at least 6 years.

Post imported post

It's not the image OCers need.

Post imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
    Wolf_shadow wrote:
    Pagan wrote:
    Even at home? So if you had couple of glasses of wine with dinner at home, you unload your house gun and keep it away? What if someone breaks in at this time?
    First off I don't drink alcohol often anyway. When at home my handgun is close but even then more than 2 beers and it's put away. I would never carry and drink in public. As NOVA said not the image OCers need.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    Basically summing up what I was saying

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:
    'pends on whether you bought it legal or grandpappy made it up on the mountain.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I agree alcohol and firearms are not a good combination. On the other hand I am not Dr. Jackal and Mr Hyde either. If I have a drink at home I dint feel the need to hide my guns from myself.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

noah wrote:
    I agree alcohol and firearms are not a good combination. On the other hand I am not Dr. Jackal and Mr Hyde either. If I have a drink at home I dint feel the need to hide my guns from myself.
    Suuuuure. You trust yourself. But didyou ask the poor guns how they feel about it?

Has anybody ever asked the poor guns?

Gun rights discrimination, I tell you. That's what it is.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    Just curious if I could enjoy a single beer legally while at dinner, not like going to a "bar" or anything of that nature, simply having a beer with dinner, then ofcourse waiting a while to drive or go in public. I did a search , perhaps I should search again

oops did another search with google and found that I can, sorry.
    I guess I take a more a personal position on this. Even one drink can affect your judgement. Not profoundly, but if you are going to carry, don't drink at all. There is no law against drinking while open carrying. We should not give them ammunition to make it so. It's not so much that you shouldn't protect yourself... but using a car analogy is the perfect way to describe my point on this.

If you have just one drink you are affected whether you can feel it or not. This is a scientifically indesputable fact. There is a reason that *everyone* is against drinking and driving. They do not mix ever ever ever. A car is a dangerous thing and you need your full mental faculties to operate it. I don't think there is a person here who would disagree with that stance.

Now I want to sayfirsthand that I am not saying this because I believe that if you drink and carry a firearm you'll go into a drunken range and start shooting anything that moves. I am not saying that at all. All of us are law abiding citizens who would *ONLY* use the gun in self defense, and I mean ONLY in self defense. I know none of you would everharm another unless you had NO choice.

The frightning situation arises when you need to defend yourself. As I mentioned earlier we all know that even *one* drink affects judgement, motor skills, hand-eye coordination and awareness of what is going on around you. Each and every single one is vital to handling a firearm. Let's say that someone really is putting your life in jeopardy and the situation is such that you have every right to use deadly force... and you draw and fire (in self defense) and since you're hand eye cooridination is off (even though you cannot feel it) you miss more than you ever would have had you not been drinking.... and you hit an innocent bystander. You never even have to fly into a drunken rampage like the real criminals out there, all you have to do is impair your ability to fire your gun with ONE drink and you recklessly place the lives of others at risk. It's not acceptable with cars, it's not acceptable with guns, ever.

As a gun owner and a rights advocate, I beg you, if you even think that you might have even a "sip" of alcohol while you are out, leave your gun at home or in your vehicle and don't touch it until you are fully sober!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Just be advised..... Virginia state code section §18.2-308 does say.....

J1. Any person permitted to carry a *concealed* handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    This only mentions those that are concealing, not open carrying.

Post imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
    The frightning situation arises when you need to defend yourself. As I mentioned earlier we all know that even *one* drink affects judgement, motor skills, hand-eye coordination and awareness of what is going on around you. Each and every single one is vital to handling a firearm. Let's say that someone really is putting your life in jeopardy and the situation is such that you have every right to use deadly force... and you draw and fire (in self defense) and since you're hand eye cooridination is off (even though you cannot feel it) you miss more than you ever would have had you not been drinking.... and you hit an innocent bystander. You never even have to fly into a drunken rampage like the real criminals out there, all you have to do is impair your ability to fire your gun with ONE drink and you recklessly place the lives of others at risk. It's not acceptable with cars, it's not acceptable with guns, ever.

And that is not even taking into consideration the civil action that could follow. Even with Castle Doctrine, the drinking might present a real problem

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Dispatcher wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    Just be advised..... Virginia state code section §18.2-308 does say.....

J1. Any person permitted to carry a *concealed* handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    This only mentions those that are concealing, not open carrying.
    Yes.I spouted it out only because the original poster didn't really specify the manner in which he would be having a drink (concealed or open carry), or where.

If the person is at a city sponsored 4th of July picnic in a city park and carrying a concealed weapon, he can not exceed the legal limits that classify him as publicly intoxicated. And what are those limits? God only knows! Any cop can haul somebody in for "drunk in public" and the magistrate will usually issue the warrant based on the cop's word alone. I have also seen countless people with diabetic problems hauled in when cops assume they are drunk in public as well. Diabetic complications while carrying a concealed weapon, hauled in for drunk in public, and loss of CHP in a flash.
    Sherriff,

But the statue only reads "under the influence" - if the LEO really wants, a drop of alcohol is "under the influence" - no?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    +1
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Going out on a limb here and presenting a probably unpopular point of view: All of you people who say it is poor form, would never do it, reflects poorly, etc. in relation to drinking a single glass of wine or a single beer with dinner while carrying...if it is that dangerous and that risky to have a dangerous weapon in your possession after one beer, I sure hope you take a taxi every time you go out to dinner w/out your weapon and have that single drink.

People on these same boards often make the comparison between cars and guns and how cars kill people and yet aren't regulated near as heavily nor feared...well you same people are being right hypocritical to tell me that you can drive to dinner and drink a beer, but I can't carry my gun.

All that said, I've never done it, but I wouldn't look down on someone who did have a beer in front of him at Red Robin with his family any more than I'd think negatively of the same guy to walk outside and get in his truck and drive his family home; and I don't disarm to open a beer at home.

My $.02, worth what you paid for it.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    Sherriff,

But the statue only reads "under the influence" - if the LEO really wants, a drop of alcohol is "under the influence" - no?
    You don't want my opinion as to the legitimacy of some "probable cause" and "reasonable suspicion" I have seen used in many arrests. But what you said above, that would be a stretch even for a rookie with an IQ of65 that was just hired at 4:00 p.m. today. And any magistrate that would issue a warrant for a person who simply took a one ounce sip of a beer to see what it tastes like should be fired. Being under the influence usually means so inebriated that one poses a threat to their own safety, or the safety of those around them.
    I am sure you have seen worse stretches of the imagination in your times

Post imported post

My take:

If I am carrying, I won't drink out. Period. I will have maybe a beer or two at home (or glasses of wine) and head out, but no more than one an hour and a two drink max.

I see nothing wrong with it (Now if you chug two in three minutes (go tech go!), I could have a issue with it there).

Guns and alcohol DO mix, guns and irresponsible drinking do not. What doesn't mix are idiots and guns.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:

Which even then is not illegal unless the maker of the ol' mountain dew makes profit off of it and doesn't pay takes off of it's profit.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Spectre wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:

Which even then is not illegal unless the maker of the ol' mountain dew makes profit off of it and doesn't pay takes off of it's profit.
    LOL!!

You're gonna hate me, but:

Cite, please. (It is the forum rules, you know.)

(rhetorical cite request)

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Spectre wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    WhatTimeIsIt? wrote:

LOL!!

You're gonna hate me, but:

Cite, please.* (It is the forum rules, you know.)*

(rhetorical cite request)
    Whelp to be honest, I'm no good at finding the cites (help please). Although my time working for VA ABC turned me on to making my own, and making personal beer and mountain dew for personal consumption or to give for free to friends has never warranted a hard knock on the door.

Makes sense though as all Sam Adams Employees must know how to make, and succesfully make their own batch of beer as company policy.

Post imported post

The "not a good image" would exclude drinking "virgin" daiquiris or non-alcoholic beer, as only your waitress would know the difference.

I like beer. I'll drink non-alcoholic if that's the only choice, and might drink it more often if it came in better varieties. (something closer to Guinness than Coors Light).

I refuse to disarm myself just so I can have a couple beers with my dinner. Though I might conceal just to avoid the social stigma. (obviously not an option for those of you in VA).

Post imported post

Well either way fellas I enjoyed my one bluemoon with my burger and unlimited fries at red robin, but I think the fries are getting less and less plentiful on those free refills,lol.

And as the saying goes, "First know thy self", I can have at least 2 beers on a completely empty stomach before I would feel the need to put my gun up on the shelf, but one beer with a good dinner and an hour or more of time is to me reasonable, having a bit of self control goes along way, not to mention that a bluemoon with a slice of orange is a wonderful compliment to a good burger.

Atleast we are not a bunch of robots on here, our differences and various experiences is avaluable pool of knowledge. cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast