• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Upgrading a Gov't 1911

Spectre

imported post

Ok, I recently came to own a RIA 1911 GI model, and any 1911 fan will know that it's as WW2 Gov't stock as you can get (doesn't even have a firing pin safety). I love this gun to death, but I would like to add a few creature comforts since I have a Brownell's 1911 catalog in front of me, and was wondering on some advice on anything I might have missed, or what you might add to make it a little more carry friendly.

Here's what I figure I'll get:

Wilson Combat "Bullet Proof" Extended Mag Release.
Novak "X-Model" Tritium Front and Rear Night Sights
Clark Custom Match Grade Ramped Barrel
EZ Equalizer Bushing Compensator
Wilson Combat Extended Slide Release
Nighthawk Custom Extractor
Nighthawk Custom Extended Thumb Safety
Wilson Combat Beavertail Grip Safety
Nighthawk Custom Full Length Guide Rod
Wilson Combat "Shok-Buffs"
Nighthawk Custom Match Hammer
Wilson Combat Sear, Disconnecter, Sear Spring, Hammer Strut
STI Titanium Firing Pin and Firing Pin Stop
Nighthawk Custom Checkered Arched Mainspring Housing
Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat Magazines
STI Match Trigger
Wolff 16lb. Recoil Spring
Wolff 23lb. Hammer Spring
Crimson Trace Laser Grips
Brownell's Tin Coated Torx Head Grip Screws

WHEW! I think that's everything lol. When I build my own I'll be using all the same parts but adding a Essex Arms frame, and Les Baer Slide.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

[align=center]
jmblogo.gif

As translated from the original ancient manuscripts by Fr. Frog.
© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer[/align]

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it,and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."...

You can read the rest here: http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm

Its quite good.

:)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Spectre wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Why in the world would someone want to mess up a perfectly good 1911A1 by adding all that to it?:D

Because like any good American I want to make it uniquely mine?:p

That's what the serial number does. :)

That, and giving it a name, say, Charlene, for instance.

Spectre

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Spectre wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Why in the world would someone want to mess up a perfectly good 1911A1 by adding all that to it?:D

Because like any good American I want to make it uniquely mine?:p

That's what the serial number does.  :) 

That, and giving it a name, say, Charlene, for instance.

She already has a name and it's Rachel, after an ex-girlfriend. To make her unique and set her apart from all the Rachel's in the world she had a slammin' body, amazing hair, gorgeous blue eyes, and the perfect collection of guns. :celebrate I just want to do the same for the new Rachel in my life.

ballester

imported post

buddy your hopless..you finally got a name for your girl??still havent named my p2000 yet....man of course its alright to finish it up...but id starty small...different beaver and a different hammer...then i would work in the sites...get some nice three point dots...jsut remember...like that guy that had the colt at the shop...try and find out the pin size for the front site as they come in two different sizes...or you could go all out and get her dovetailed....

and to disagree with some folks...if the 1911 was so perfect from the get go..then why the A1 varient???? which today is the most popular...well most 1911"s are hybrids..got the A1 improvemets...yet the flat mainspring housing....mmm i think someone might have figured something out about that.......:lol:

note this is not a 1911 bash as i have owned one and loved it for what it was and is...one of the best pistols hands down in the world and all of time...well next to my hk of course:p

LeMat

imported post

So you're going to put just about $1,000.00 into your RIA?

Why didn't you go with a custom build in the first place?

If you want to personalize it, get a new set of grips and use the rest of the money for ammo.

It'd be well worth you time and money to put about 500 rounds through it first and see it it needs anything. I'd rather have a bone stock 1911 that runsthan one that's allfancied up with a bunch of gadgets it doesn't need.

'Course that's just my humble opinion. ;)

Spectre

imported post

LeMat wrote:
So you're going to put just about $1,000.00 into your RIA?

Why didn't you go with a custom build in the first place?

If you want to personalize it, get a new set of grips and use the rest of the money for ammo.

It'd be well worth you time and money to put about 500 rounds through it first and see it it needs anything.  I'd rather have a bone stock 1911 that runs than one that's all fancied up with a bunch of gadgets it doesn't need.

'Course that's just my humble opinion. ;)

1. Already done a break in of the gun and it runs like a dream. (This isn't my first 1911 ;) )

2. Yes I want to put that much money into my RIA because ultimately it will save me about $1500-$3500 on a complete custom build because prebuilt guns are expensive or having to pay someone to do some of the work I can't do myself. So it makes perfect sense to me.

*edit for typos*

bugly

imported post

Did a very same style "transformation" on my RIA 1911.
Slim grips were a must for concealed carry (and I have rather small hands for a mechanic).
The internals, such as the springs and shock buffer are routine maintenance type items that are easy to change when you do a thorough cleaning.
The hammer and sear should be done by a competent gunsmith for proper fit and function.
The beavertail can be done a couple of different ways, either fit it to the frame for the hammer you wish to change to, or, like in my case, I like the military hammer so much, I fitted the beavertail by cutting a groove in it so the military hammer would clear as it comes back (it works better than I had hoped, so don't bother flaming me on this).
The barrel really should be fitted by a well-versed pistolsmith, this can be a bad thing if done wrong.
I also had my slide tightened in a hydraulic press to make it slide more accurately than factory, this involved hours of cleanup work inside to get rid of high spots, but was well worth it (my shot groups went from heart-sized to eyeball-sized @ 25 yds).
The most important thing I've found on a RIA 1911 (and many others) is an extremely careful feed-ramp adjustment and polish does worlds of good, be extremely careful, as you cannot un-mess something you went too far with. (I got mine nice enough to feed an empty case from the mag, so forget the flaming here, too)
I applaud you on your purchase, a lot of people wouldn't bother with a "cheap" 1911, but my RIA has been absolutely reliable, out of the box, and since making the improvements, it had become my daily carry (I trust it that much).
Don't try to do anything you are not absolutely certain you can do safely, remember what a friend of mine told me (he's a gunsmith)
"The dremel tool is the gunsmith's best friend, after it has been in the wrong hands, I stand to make a lot of money fixing what it did."

Spectre

imported post

LeMat wrote:
For some reason, I got the impression that this was your first 1911........ my bad.

Hope it works out for you! :)

Not a problem at all, like you said you didn't know so it's not a big deal. So I'll let it slide this time. lol I kid, I kid.

ballester

imported post

shoot didnt tell them about your s&w scandiam frame 1911??? the one tricked outthat had to go back to the factory not once but twice for repairs????..in only 2 months..with less then 500 rds through it....

ithink starting out with a base and adding a few small improvments are the way to go....just minor stuff..i kinda like that para GI expert ..only thing i would do is change beaver tail on it...and maybe some grips...then low and behold a compitent 1911 with minor modifications for under 700 bucks...hecks to yes...

it just seems the for the more crap you put on a 1911 the worst it gets...your scandiam 1911 to mack's ss base 1911......really besides the sites on a gi...the beaver upgrade so you dont pinch your hand and a new hammer to work with the beaver....there you go...:celebrate

you know i stand behind ya buddy!!:dude:

curtm1911

imported post

Iadmit to skimming this post, However, Ambi Safety Lock Lever, I am a Lefty yes, BUT, you never know when your Stong side may be diabled, it should be Standard Equipment anyway. Heard a Rumor once, John Browning was left handed they do kinda work good for lefties as built, but maybe he just didn't have enough parts, or he was dealing with people Not in their Right Mind/Brain......Look it up, lefties are controlled by the right side of the Brain......and we are Unique.......10 % or so....."the Meek(lol) Shall Prevail" We Ain't Meek at all.....Enjoy Your 1911

Spectre

imported post

I hear ya, I'm a lefty myself and my first 1911 was a S&W 1911PD with a rail, and it had an ambi safety. I have taught myself to shoot righthanded, but like you stated, I want the ambi safety in case I cant use my right hand for what ever reason.

bugly

imported post

Spectre wrote:
I hear ya, I'm a lefty myself and my first 1911 was a S&W 1911PD with a rail, and it had an ambi safety. I have taught myself to shoot righthanded, but like you stated, I want the ambi safety in case I cant use my right hand for what ever reason.

good call, i, also practice with both hands to keep sharp. try your trigger skills with different fingers also, it may come in handy if you have a busted (normal) trigger finger.

...I'm Bugly and I also am a lefty...

this is starting to look like we need a "twelve-step" program

poothrowingape

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
Iadmit to skimming this post, However, Ambi Safety Lock Lever, I am a Lefty yes, BUT, you never know when your Stong side may be diabled, it should be Standard Equipment anyway. Heard a Rumor once, John Browning was left handed they do kinda work good for lefties as built, but maybe he just didn't have enough parts, or he was dealing with people Not in their Right Mind/Brain......Look it up, lefties are controlled by the right side of the Brain......and we are Unique.......10 % or so....."the Meek(lol) Shall Prevail" We Ain't Meek at all.....Enjoy Your 1911

nice collection, and toes lol :lol: