• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Tri-Fold Pamphlet

CJ30-06

imported post

"No carry withing 1000' of school property" was repealed, I don't remember how long ago, but check it out.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No, the federal law is still in place. The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was struck down as unconstitutional in United States v. Lopez, but the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1996 corrected the language to comply with the SCOTUS.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
"No carry withing 1000' of school property" was repealed, I don't remember how long ago, but check it out.
You're incorrect...it's a federal law, however a concealed carry permit does allow carry within school zones.
18 USC 922(q)
(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm -
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

"School Zone" is defined in a previous section as being 1000' from the school property.
18 USC 921(a)
(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sup_01_18_10_I_20_44.html

Ape

imported post

Great stuff and thanks for doing this PPMM!

However I had a discussion with a couple of FFL's and a lawyer about CCW in Post offices some time ago, and the consensus of a few lawyers was sent to me by email as read below...

OK. Here's what Tony has to say:

"It is a consensus among able attorneys that it is lawful to carry CONCEALED in a U.S. Post Office if you have a lawfully-issued and lawfully-held carry permit issued by a duly-authorized government entity. Open carry in a U.S. Post Office would be in violation of federal law."

Law Offices of Anthony J. Fabian, PC

510 Wilcox St., Suite C

Castle Rock, CO 80104

(303) 663-9339

[url]www.ajfabianlaw.com[/url]
The reasons for my inquiries was because I happened to accidentally walk into a satalite PO which was ajoined to a convenience store. My first reaction was "OH CRAP!, I just walked into a PO with my gun!"
So my main question was to find out if a satalite PO had jurisdiction over the covenience store.
Obviously the "consensus" of the attorneys doesn't give any legal precadence, however it was convincing enough for me to not worry about staying concealed while using the PO.

Just some food for thought for everyone, and as usual to err on the side of caution is always the best plan.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
HOWEVER I don't know how to upload a copy for y'all to see.
If you're using Word 2007, you can simply save as PDF. If not, download and install PDF Redirect v 2.x from CNET.com.

The latter is a printer redirector that converts what would normall go to the printer, formatting and all, into PDF format. That format can later be uploaded, e-mailed to anyone (it's the most universal file format out there), and can also be reprinted on someone else's computer-printer setup with little to zero issue.

Good luck!

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
You're incorrect...it's a federal law, however a concealed carry permit does allow carry within school zones.
18 USC 922(q)
(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm -
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

"School Zone" is defined in a previous section as being 1000' from the school property.
18 USC 921(a)
(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or (B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sup_01_18_10_I_20_44.html

Eee... yeeerss.. 922(B)(ii)seems very iffy. We can discuss on Sat. Please bring a full copy of the statute!

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

I have updated the pamphlet since there have been some important changes recently.

Among the additions are:
  • Added Denver Mountain Parks to the “No OC in Denver” part
  • Added National Park Service buildings to the “No Firearms” part
  • (I’m pretty sure the new law makes NPS lands subject to state law…federal law still holds for the buildings as being “federal property” and therefore off-limits…please correct me if I‘m wrong!))
  • Added that anti-gun signs do not carry force of law in CO
  • Added Nebraska to the reciprocity list
  • Added CO Gun Owners and Colorado Carry to the “Forums” list
  • Added RMGO and changed the CBI URL to reflect their new website in the “More Info” list
  • Added the date of revisions
I also moved a couple things around and just generally did some “cleaning up” and the only thing I deleted was some of the unnecessary wording in the paragraph about carry where the state legislature is.

As always let me know what you think about this and if any more changes should be made.

If everyone’s happy with it then please feel free to see how you see fit…print it, hand it out and start educating the masses!

PS….if anyone prints it out and you have problems let me know…I had issues here on my end at first and I’m hoping I have resolved them by now….but who knows…..

Kingfish

imported post

Awesome work!!

One question though...
"Citizens can legally carry concealed or openly on
private property unless the property owner does not
allow it."

So, if I am carrying in some random store without a permit and the owner asks me to cover up or leave then could I legally conceal? Or if I pull into the parking lot of Home Depot could I conceal in the parking lot and in the store?

(This is NOT criticism, I want to make sure I know the laws of CO when we come out there next month.)

desettle

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Awesome work!!

One question though...
"Citizens can legally carry concealed or openly on
private property unless the property owner does not
allow it."

So, if I am carrying in some random store without a permit and the owner asks me to cover up or leave then could I legally conceal? Or if I pull into the parking lot of Home Depot could I conceal in the parking lot and in the store?

(This is NOT criticism, I want to make sure I know the laws of CO when we come out there next month.)

The only way, out side your vehicle, you are able to carry concealed is if you have a valid CC permit.

cscitney87

imported post

I get what you're saying King. If you are at a friends house or a relatives- that friend knows you are armed- can you Conceal Carry your pistol? What if someone new shows up? Do you have to tell them you have a pistol hidden? Does the home owner have to alert any new visitors? What if the police show up for any reason- how does that change the dynamic?

Seems like "You can only concealed carry on your OWN private property." is what most people wanna say. I would like answers to your questions and mine. Home Depot is that any different then a friend or relatives house in terms of the law and private property?

Kingfish

imported post

After rereading I think the assumption was the carrier has a permit.

Maybe should read...
Citizens can legally carry openly or concealed(with a valid CHP) on private property unless the property owner does not
allow it.

Right?

cscitney87

imported post

No King I'm saying without a permit. No permit required to conceal your pistol your person while on your own private property. The question was raised about carrying concealed, permit-less, on another citizens private property- with permission. It was entailed so that a business owner could allow a citizen to conceal his pistol while on the business owners private property: a business. Citizens aren't forced to go into the store; so it's not as if this puts "the public" at risk. But notification? So that's all just wondering about other people's private property and how that pertains to limits on a guest's civil rights.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

kingfish wrote:

Maybe should read...
Citizens can legally carry openly or concealed(with a valid CHP) on private property unless the property owner does not
allow it.

Right?
I starting thinking the same thing...but then again, the very first paragraph says that in order to conceal you need a permit.

Should I change the wording to be less ambiguous?

Kingfish

imported post

PikesPeakMtnMan wrote:
kingfish wrote:

Maybe should read...
allow it.

Right?
I starting thinking the same thing...but then again, the very first paragraph says that in order to conceal you need a permit.

Should I change the wording to be less ambiguous?
Only if it is actually the case. Sounds like there is some confusion as to whether one may carry concealed on private property without a permit.

cscitney87

imported post

If you go to your dad's house; inner city Denver, to visit- do you need a permit to conceal your pistol your person while there? Do you need a permit to conceal the pistol from the driveway- to the door- and in?

If you go to your friend Joe's house- lives on a ranch- can you conceal your rifle on your persons while the two of you heard on horseback?

If you are House Sitting for your Aunt, while she vacations in Vail; can you conceal your pistol your persons, being the only person in the home at the time?

Do these same rules apply to private property that a person uses to transact a business?

Are there limits on the amount of traffic that comes in and out of the private property, which is said place of business?

Does Zoning have anything to do with it?

I have more but those are good starters for me.