• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC, Gun check-in procedure at Bellevue courthouse

PolskiG

imported post

Not sure if anyone has posted about BellevueCourthouse East division of the KCDC so here is mine.

I had to go into the Bellevue Courthouse today for some court related traffic ticket business. I open carried.

Walked in through the doors passing the No firearms sign andgot a major stare down from a middle eastern man walking out.

I walked up to the metal detectors where a KCSO deputy appearingin his late 60s was sitting. He got up to me when I walked in. I pointed to my P2000 and said, "can I get a lock-box for this?" I was little nervous. He look at me was like, huh? I thought, "oh great he doesn't know what I'm talking about." I pointed and pivotedagain, "can I get a lock-box for my gun?"

At that point he was like, "Oh, for that, ok uhh, well I'm not going to give you a box but if you hand me the gun I will put it in one for you."

I reached for it and pulled it out of the holster slowly, finger off the trigger, pointed at a safe---etc etc, a gave it to the deputy. He then asked me if I had my permit for this. I knew he was refering to my CPL.

I knew I didn'thave to give it to him, but i thought,what the hell, I don't really care if a cop asked me for it, their a mafia and can getit if they really wanted to so I gave him my CPL plus hes older and probably would give me crap for not complying cause I'm just some mid 20s kid to him. Without him asking I also gave i'm my license to verify the CPL.

He took it from me with my gun and CPLand walked back two stepswhile I emptied the rest of my metal, watch, keys etc in the change tray and walked through the sensor. While Iwas putting allmy stuff back on heput my gun into a cubby locker, I noticed there were several of them right behind where he was sitting originally when I came in.

He pulled out a key with a orange tag attached to itand fill out a slip, that he kept,with the info on my ID and then gave the key to me. He said when I'm finished come back with this key and i'll get my gun back, he gave my id and cpl back too but before giving my CPL back he did a double take on it. I asked him ifwas there something wrong with it. He said, "what?" At this point I realized, this guy is a justa old timer whos hearing wasn't very good. I repeated andhe said, "oh no, I thought I saw the expiration date say 2004 but it doesn't its 2012, nevermind, just give this keyback for your gun." SoI went, did my business for about 25 mins.

When I returned he said "back alreadyhuh?" I said yeah. Hetook the key and told me to go around the metal detector.I did,he unlocked the cubby slot and handed the gun back to me in a safe textbook manner, pausing for a second totake a better look at it (who knows why? maybe he was admiring it:)).This all happenedrightnext a guythat just came and was emptying his pockets for the sensor. I thought that was kind of funny for some reason, I bet he wasn't expecting to see this exchange right next to him.

I tooked my gun back, said, "thank you sir" to thedeputywhile reholstering slowly, He said, "you're welcome, have a nice day." I left

I was all pretty standard. Thisentirethinghappen right in the main lobby, my gun was never de-chambered, the mag was neverdropped outand I continued wear my emptyOC holster in the courthouse. As I mentioned, this deputy was probably due to retire any day now so thats probably why we had the littleawkward exchange in the beginning, he seemed a little hard of hearing, that or I talked too fast or was mumblingand he wasn't as sharp as he used to be to pick it up. Him asking for my CPL was why I give theBellevue courthouse a B+ but I didn't really mind. I wasn't about to stand there andargue legalityor RCWsto a possibleKoreavet with a gunthat couldn't hear very well. I have respect for those grouchy oldguys, justthem give what they want.

PolskiG

imported post

Yes i agree, for next time I will. Its just the way he asked for it. It was so nonshalant, he was like, "ok, give it to me and i'll put it in the box for you." I felt weird just handing a loaded gun to a cop like that but he didn't protest it. Thats how I got it back to, just handed it to me. Maybe he was remembering the "Now Look-here, see!" days when you could that :)