• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Regarding the transport of ammunition...

EM87

imported post

While my gun is in a locked case in my trunk (CPL hasn't come yet), is it legal for me to carry loaded magazines in my car/on my person? How is ammunition supposed to be transported according to the law?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

EM87 wrote:
While my gun is in a locked case in my trunk (CPL hasn't come yet), is it legal for me to carry loaded magazines in my car/on my person? How is ammunition supposed to be transported according to the law?

As far as I know, there are no laws regarding ammunition transport.

If you're transporting a gun, it must be unloaded, and in the trunk. If you don't have a trunk, it must be locked and inaccessible to you.

If you're carrying ammo, you're fine.

**I AM NOT A LAWYER**

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:

Unless you have a CPL and consuming alcohol/driving, there is no statue I know of that requires the case to be locked. However, there's nothing wrong with locking it either.

750.231a (Lawful Transport) does not mention, specifically, how ammo is transported, only that the pistol must be unloaded, Blah..Blah..Blah.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
So can I have the ammo with the gun in the trunk, or does it have to be in a a separate compartment?
Are you asking if you can keep both the ammo and gun in the case? If so, yes. The transport law (750.231a) does not state that the ammo be separate from the gun-only that the gun is unloaded and in a case locked in the trunk....