• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you deal with family members against OCing?

tygereye

imported post

irish wrote:
I've had alot of luck comparing carrying a firearm to more "commonly" used inanimate objects that are there for everyone's safety if they choose to utilize them.

I own a fire extinguisher not because I want a fire to happen but in case it does.

I wear a seatbelt not because I want to be involved in a car accident but in case I am.

There are many more of these types of comparison but I think you get the idea. Me personally, I'm 35 and at the age where I don't care what anyone else thinks about how I look and it doesn't affect me. My family and my safety is much more important to me than a narrow minded, bigoted person's opinion. Good luck and stand firm in your convictions.
Those are some excellent comparisons... my husband (yes, i said husband :p) does not wish me to carry, I think I may have to use these examples... thanks!!

irish

imported post

tygereye wrote:
irish wrote:
I've had alot of luck comparing carrying a firearm to more "commonly" used inanimate objects that are there for everyone's safety if they choose to utilize them.

I own a fire extinguisher not because I want a fire to happen but in case it does.

I wear a seatbelt not because I want to be involved in a car accident but in case I am.

There are many more of these types of comparison but I think you get the idea. Me personally, I'm 35 and at the age where I don't care what anyone else thinks about how I look and it doesn't affect me. My family and my safety is much more important to me than a narrow minded, bigoted person's opinion. Good luck and stand firm in your convictions.
Those are some excellent comparisons... my husband (yes, i said husband :p) does not wish me to carry, I think I may have to use these examples... thanks!!

You're welcome! :DMy wife loves when I carry and encourages me to do it all the time, she feels much safer when I do. A few other comparisons of vehicle safety related items that you have that you hope to never have to use... anti-lock brakes, airbags, etc.

If guns cause people to kill people than pencils are the cause ofmisspelled words.

irish

imported post

uncle jed wrote:
as to the statement by the family that nothing would happen, that.s what they thought at luby's in killeen a few years ago

Watch thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis&feature=relatedif you're not familiar with Suzanna Hupp and what happened at the Luby's in Killeen, TX.

Do a google search after if you want to learn more... I'm sure it will open your eyes as to what could happen to you at any given time.

Gordie

imported post

Ibet thatall of these people thought that nothing would happen too. This was written days after the VT shooting, most of them thought that nothing would happen that day either.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/17/usa.internationaleducationnews

A history of violence

With 33 dead, including the gunman, this was the deadliest mass shooting in US history. Other incidents, sometimes called 'spree killings', include:
October 1991 Previously, the worst mass shooting had been when George Hennard drove his pickup to Luby's cafeteria in Killeen, Texas, then shot dead 23 people and himself.
July 1984 Some 21 people were killed when a 41-year-old opened fire at a McDonald's restaurant in San Diego. He was shot by police.
August 1966 A gunman holed up in a clocktower at the University of Texas campus in Austin killed 15 people before being shot by police. Prior to yesterday, this was the worst campus shooting in US history.
August 1986 A former postal worker entered a post office in Oklahoma, and shot 14 workers before killing himself.
February 1983 Three men shot dead 14 people in the Wah Mee club in Seattle's Chinatown.
April 1999 The most notorious campus shooting of modern times: two students at Columbine high school in Littleton, Colorado, killed 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves.
March 2005 A student at Red Lake high school in Minnesota killed five students, a teacher, a security guard, and then himself. Before school he had shot dead his grandfather and grandfather's companion.
July 1993 A businessman, 55, entered a law office in San Francisco and shot dead eight people, then himself.
February 1988 An ex-employee returned to his laboratory in Sunnyvale, California, and killed seven people, and injured three - including a woman he had been stalking.
January 2006 A woman killed seven people then herself at her former postal workplace in Goleta, California.
March 2006 A loner shot six people at party in Seattle, then himself.

And this is only a partial list of these occurances.

If you could tell when something bad was going to happen, you wouldn't need a gun to be safe, you could just avoid the area involved at that time.

vbnative73

imported post

irish wrote:
My family and my safety is much more important to me than a narrow minded, bigoted person's opinion.
I may not have read the whole discussion carefully enough. Did I miss something? Were there comments made here by anyone that were "bigoted"?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
hometheaterman wrote:
They told me that nothing would happen that needed someone to be carrying in Applebee's unless you were there at 1 AM. I don't know if anything has ever happened at a Applebee's in the past or not but as I told them there is a first time for everything. If something does happen and my gun as well as the other guys is in the car/truck neither of us are going to be able to walk out get the gun and come back in.

Most of my family is the type that seems to think they have lived so long with nothing having happened to them that nothing will happen to anyone else either unless they are in a bad part of town or late at night or something like that. They don't understand that at times stuff does happen to good people in good places. Maybe not as often but it does happen.

I think I made the right decision to stay home the more I think about it.
I think you made the right decision too. I'd have asked how anyone could predict whether something would happen or not. Do they only wear seatbelts on roads where "something might happen", or all the time? Have some of your family members driven a long time without any accidents? If so, perhaps that means they are the ones who don't need seatbelts anymore. Why bother with something you'll never need to use, right? To take the analogy even further, you might ask what they'd say if you declared that anyone riding in your car could not wear seatbelts because they'd look silly and embarrassing. I wonder what their answer would be. Probably that they'd have to ride with someone else, since their safety is paramount.

I LIKE this posed question. Great one. I'll have to try to remember this. Good job!

SouthernBoy

imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
irish wrote:
My family and my safety is much more important to me than a narrow minded, bigoted person's opinion.
I may not have read the whole discussion carefully enough. Did I miss something? Were there comments made here by anyone that were "bigoted"?

The use of the word "bigoted" in the subject context is correct. It references a prejudicial stanceinvolving a socio/political topic.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Several months ago, I posted this little ditty about two opposing scenarios. I think you might find them related to the subject of this thread.

This is Sharon Thomas for WGHB Channel 9 News. We're here at a local suburban MacDonalds where a man has been taken into custody for questioning because he entered the restaurant openly carrying a pistol on his side. One patron had this to say about the event.

"I went into MacDonalds with my three children and two of their neighborhood friends to enjoy a fun lunch and suddenly I noticed this man sitting in a booth, all alone, wearing a large pistol. I mean, I was shocked and scared at the same time. The place was full of children and, of couse, I had my children and their friends with.. I just don't think it's right for this man or anyone else to be coming into a place like MacDonalds carrying a gun. Who knows who he is or what he has in mind?"

(reporter) I have been told that he wasn't breaking any laws.

"Well I don't know about that but he frightened a bunch of people and some called the police. You see them over there talking to him. He just shouldn't be coming in here like that".

===========================================================

This is Sharon Thomas for WGHB Channel 9 News. We're here at a local suburban MacDonalds where there has been a shooting and several people have been injured and killed. At the time, there was a man in the restaurant who happened to be armed and we're told he responded to the shooter's attack, killing him in the process. This patron says she saw the whole thing.

"I went into MacDonalds with my three children and two of their neighborhood friends to enjoy a fun lunch and suddenly I noticed this man who came into the front of the restaurant and just started shooting people. There were a bunch of children in there at the time. Then this man who was sitting in a booth by himself suddenly pulled his own gun and fired several shots at the other man and he must have hit him because he went down pretty quickly."

(reporter) The man who fired on the shooter was legally carrying a gun.

"Well I don't know about the laws regarding any of that, but thank God he was there and had a gun so he could stop this madman before he hurt anyone else."

Two little scenarios painting a picture of the same carrying event. One where nothing out of the ordinary took place other than a citizen enjoying his rights. And the other where while practicing his rights, he was tasked to use them. I would lay money that in a similar scenario, where patrons were intimidated by an armed citizen, this would most likely be a rather close description of the reactions of people.

irish

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:
irish wrote:

The use of the word "bigoted" in the subject context is correct. It references a prejudicial stanceinvolving a socio/political topic.
Thanks for explaining that.

peanutpublications

imported post

I had a bit of a battle with my fiance the other night about me OCing. I've wanted a pistol for a pretty long time. I had no idea that open carry was legal in Michigan until my brother brought it to my attention... It just made me want one even more, and this is where the "battle" came in. He doesn't see the purpose of me carrying. We're both going to get a cpl eventually, but I want to start carrying before that. The argument consisted of scenarios like "If we go for a walk with the kids or something, I don't want you to carry", to which I replied "Why not? What's wrong with me wanting to protect my family?" He also brought things up like "why do you want to bring attention to yourself" and "don't you think it will make people want you to be 'the hero' in bad situations?" It went on for quite a while, but we have since come to an agreement...I will be getting a pistol:D Just not til after the wedding.

This entire site has been such a help to me...

Jeffytune

imported post

Hi.

Well, I would say to them that you respect there opinion NOT to have a pistol with them, and you are fine with there decision not to protect themselves.

And then say I hope you can show me the same respect in my choices as well.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Jeffytune wrote:
Hi.

Well, I would say to them that you respect there opinion NOT to have a pistol with them, and you are fine with there decision not to protect themselves.

And then say I hope you can show me the same respect in my choices as well.

Nicely stated. But the one thing that remains a constant with those opposed to carrying and opposed to guns in general, is this. We, as a rule, do not tell them that they must own firearms and that they must go armed. We prefer to leave those choices to them to handle as they see fit.

However, the reverse is virtually never the case. They do not want us to carry and many do not even want us to own firearms. Does anyone else find that to be a might disengenuous? A might one-sided? A might bigotted? And a might hypocritical?

Am I missing something here? (pun intended)

SteveInAshand

imported post

An invitation is one thing, civil rights are another. I am sure there were many black people 40 years ago who said to there other black friends " Don't rock the boat and attract any attention , just keep drinking from the colored fountain ".

What I find is most people are subject to peer group think, the need to conform, the wish for peace over freedom, security over liberty, basically they are not there own man, not driven or motivated by inner principle.

This many not be your case personally, but I also have found that the same people who don't want to attract attention also give in, they psychologically give in to the strongest societal force of majority morality and social norms.

These same people will not have any problem with there teen kids wearing spike hair, nose rings and tattoos, and allowing there friends to swear and drink "one to many" and act stupid around them, people tend to follow the masses, so you & I as a minority who are now coming "out" of the closet OC'ing we are not "accepted" yet because you and I have not asserted the psychological pressure of conviction and confidence.

You can condition humans to accept good or evil, sence or nonsence.

Humans are influenced by one of 2 things inner intuitive knowing of self governance or outer man made morals and man made rules of governance be that false or true confidence so long as you assert calm resolute authority and conviction in true confidence they will submit, they will submit there outer guided minds to your inner guided confidence and you will lead them to agree with your side.

Those who will never agree with you are the truly lost and on one level or another are against you sometimes those who are dead set against you dont even care about OC or guns they are jealous of your inner convictions and confidence and thus wish to appose you only for the reason of jealousy, a female like passive -aggressive jealousy.

If you look at your typical metro-sexual boy or young liberal man, they hate masculinity, example: they hate Marines, guns, and anything that is manly, its due to mothers over arching influence, its a psychological down load of jealously from there mother were there was no good strong father to counter that emotional download

Mexico is a good example of a virtually an entire country of passive like females , neutered males, people who dont have any inner guidance , guts , confidence, or moral foundations to assert freedom & liberty , they cannot assert what is not there, there are no good "men" in Mexico , not enough willing to die and run the drug dealers out of town.

I think Pancho Via was the last man in Mexico

In general Mexico is full of human cattle and the master ( Patron ) is any one one who asserts confident authority, be that a drug dealer, a cop on the take or a crooked politician. In fact many of the Mexican sheep don't even want a good strong politician because a good man would rock the boat.

Once we assert the right to KABA = Keep & Bear Arms, with confidence over time we will be accepted as normal until then the mass mind think of those susceptible to the Matrix will think we are trying to do something wrong and think we are trying to drink from the white mans fountain and look at us with fear.

It takes a self confident internal guided "self owned" man ( and rare woman) aka American, to OC and carry this movement to the masses.

You only have the rights that you claim and defend.

arentol

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Any of you other guys have family members like this? Would you have left your gun in the car/truck or just refused to give in like I did? How would you have handled it?
Here is how I would handle it.

I would go to my PC, I would open up the link below, and I would make them watch it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4069761537893819675

Then I would calmly say, "THAT is why I will OC rather than leave my firearm in a car. Because that woman carried for 10 years and only after she chose not to do so anymore did she lose her loved ones in a random restaurant shooting. It can happen any time, any where, and the only way I can ensure I can defend myself and those around me in such a situation is to be prepared for it as often as possible, no matter how much embarrassment it may cause my friends and loved ones."

TheMrMitch

imported post

Nothing badhad ever happened at Luby's, Columbine, VA Tech etc etc until the FIRST time.

I can't carry oc/cc then I don't go. So far, my kids, brother and nephews all carry.

Ganghater

imported post

CharlesC wrote:
If I were you, I would just goout to Outback instead

Unless I'm going to someone's house, I don't give a damn what they think about my open carry. If they don't like it, they don't have to come. Let them be liberal somewhere else.

I don't have this problem. Even my very liberal in-laws who have strong feelings about gun control, know not to even suggest that I not carry. It just isn't open for discussion.

My wife doesnt' like me talking politics and that's fine, but she knows that I will carry anywhere and I do.
-CharlesC
Charles,

Please, enough with theliberal tag. I'm liberal and always carry. But... I have friends that are liberal and others that are conservative and they now call me libertarian.
Iagree with the act normal and you will be accepted. My adult daughters weren't used to me carrying and now they never notice. My wife now kinda likes it when she puts her arm around me in public and touches my gun:D.