Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 114

Thread: Oakland Police shooting...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA, ,
    Posts
    105

    Post imported post

    3 Officers dead, suspect killed in Oakland, Calif.

    OAKLAND, Calif. – Three Oakland police officers and a suspect are dead, and another officer is in grave condition, after two related shootings on Saturday, the first after a traffic stop and the second after a massive manhunt ended in gunfire, police said.
    Two officers were shot in the first incident just after 1 p.m. after they stopped a suspect's vehicle in east Oakland, said Oakland police spokesman Jeff Thomason.
    The suspect fled the scene on foot into a nearby neighborhood, police said, leading to an intense manhunt by dozens of Oakland police, California Highway Patrol officers and Alameda County sheriff deputies. Streets were roped off and an entire area of east Oakland closed to traffic.

    At about 3:30 p.m. officers, acting on an anonymous tip, found the suspect, who had barricaded himself in an apartment building, police said.
    Police said the suspect, 27-year-old Lovelle Mixon, of Oakland, fired an assault rifle at officers who came into the building to arrest him. Two officers were killed and a third was grazed by a bullet, police said.
    Acting Oakland police Chief Howard Jordan said police returned fire, killing Mixon.
    The slain officers were identified as Sgt. Mark Dunakin, 40, who was killed at the first shooting. The two members of the SWAT team who were killed at the second location were Sgt. Ervin Romans, 43, and Sgt. Daniel Sakai, 35. Officer John Hege, 41, is in grave condition.

    Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said it was a tragic day for police officers. "All four officers dedicated their lives to public safety and selflessly worked to protect the people of Oakland," he said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those lost, the Oakland Police Department and law enforcement officers throughout California during this difficult time."
    Police said Mixon wielded two different weapons, one at the first scene and another at the apartment building where he was hiding.
    Hours after Saturday's shootings near a busy intersection just blocks from a police substation in east Oakland, people were still at the scene of the first shooting as police tape blocked off streets.

    Mo Wiley, 32, of Oakland, said emotions still are raw from the Grant shooting.
    "Oakland is a beautiful place," Wiley said. "But I just hate when it gets ugly like this."
    Tension between police and the community has risen steadily since the fatal shooting of unarmed 22-year-old Oscar Grant by a transit police officer at an Oakland train station on Jan. 1.
    That former Bay Area Rapid Transit officer, Johannes Mehserle, has pleaded not guilty to a murder charge. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Monday. Violent protests erupted on the streets of Oakland in the weeks after Grant's death, further inflaming tensions.On Saturday afternoon, about 20 people taunted police near the scene of the first shooting. A group of Oakland ministers went to the hospital to offer prayers and condolences to the family members of the injured officers and the dozens of Oakland police officers who gathered there.

    They said that on Sunday morning they would urge their parishioners not to let the event tear the city apart.Pastor Raymond Lankford, executive director of Healthy Oakland, urged people to show support for the officers and their families.
    "What officers do, that's a tough job," Lankford said. "They need love, they need support. They need to know the community is behind them."
    The mood was somber outside the police station in Oakland, and flags were flying at half mast. Officers hugged and consoled each other.
    "This is probably one of the worst incidents that has ever taken place in this history of the Oakland police department," Thomason said.


    “Police said the suspect, 27-year-old Lovelle Mixon, of Oakland, fired an assault rifle at officers who came into the building to arrest him. Two officers were killed and a third was grazed by a bullet, police said”.



    well, there goes our chances of ever getting assault rifles back...******* criminals ruining it for everybody. On a more serious note,its a tragedy and glad one more BG is off the streets...PERMANENTLY!!
    Our luck, the guys parents will come out and say "They didn't have to kill my little angel, he was such a good kind hearted person". Guess again Mom and Dad....
    [size=]

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tempe, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    I simply don't understand how this individual was able to get ahold of an "assault weapon" to begin with. According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, California ranks as the state with "the strongest gun laws" - 79/100 on their 2008 scorecard ( http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/ ). The gunman, 27-year-old LaVelle Mixon, had "an extensive criminal history" and was "in violation of parole for assault with a deadly weapon" at the time of the shooting. Criminals aren't supposed to be able to get firearms in CA. I guess this one just slipped through the cracks. Maybe when CA scores 100/100, tragedies like this will finally be prevented... <sarcasm off>

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    I'm curious if it was an actual assault rifle, or just a "media assault rifle" (aka any regular rifle that has some visible upgrades). Honestly, I'd be very, very shocked if it was really an assault rifle.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    This was most likely a simple rifle. The only true "assault weapons" are those carried by the police and the military--the rest are just in the imaginations of the brady people..

    the people do not, nor have they since the passage of the NFA had access to true "Assault weapons" unless they want to obtain a Class III license and have a LOT of money to spend....

    the media is just trying to take a tragic shooting and turn it into a platform to make the people afraid and to advance the cause of the anti campaign...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    My thoughts are pretty much along those lines as well. I know the media likes to hype things for more sales/viewers, but...I'm loathe to say "there oughtta be a law" about anything, but if it's news, it should at least be true, even if it's a slanted viewpoint.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    125

    Post imported post

    The type of firearm is irreverent to the shooting.

    If they just would have kept him locked up where Mr.Mixon belonged, they would all be alive today.

    It's not a problem of gun control, it's criminal control they lack.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    125

    Post imported post

    But my heart and prayers still goes out to the families of the four officers lost.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    Jeffytune wrote:
    The type of firearm is irreverent to the shooting.

    If they just would have kept him locked up where Mr.Mixon belonged, they would all be alive today.

    It's not a problem of gun control, it's criminal control they lack.
    not to the Brady group it isn't. They will step on top of the bodies of these police officers in order to advance their agenda of hatred toward the Second Amendment.

    I can hear them now--"if ONLY the people did not have those evil "assault weapons", this would never have happened..."

    And sadly, the brady group is too stupid to realize that it was not a citizen who killed those officers, it was a CRIMINAL.....and he did not use an "assault weapon"...only law enforcement and the military have access to those...

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    Exactly, it's not that it matters what type of weapon was used all that much-the misnomer of "assault weapon" is used as a scare tactic to whip people up into calling their congressional rep. Which has a more imposing ring to it: "assault rifle" or "semi-automatic rifle"?

    Ohes Noes, the assaults are comings, run aways!

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    i wonder if anyone would've died if this guy wasn't going to be "rearrested" for "violating parole"



  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    There's still no info on the actual rifle itself? and the first two officers got shot when the guy was inside his car with a rifle??? or did he get out of his car? any one know more info on the story? there's some details being left out here. its a shame to hear that all these people had to die.


  12. #12
    Regular Member PikesPeakMtnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    426

    Post imported post

    The story I read said that Mixon used the rifle during the standoff with SWAT....there was a different gun involved in the original traffic stop.

    I don't have a link because I read it on my phone...and can't remember the source.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    rumor is it was a SKS

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Woodland, California, USA
    Posts
    155

    Post imported post

    it said in the first post that he had used 2 weapons. one during the traffic stop and one when he barricaded himself.

  15. #15
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    suntzu wrote:
    This was most likely a simple rifle. The only true "assault weapons" are those carried by the police and the military--the rest are just in the imaginations of the brady people..

    the people do not, nor have they since the passage of the NFA had access to true "Assault weapons" unless they want to obtain a Class III license and have a LOT of money to spend....

    the media is just trying to take a tragic shooting and turn it into a platform to make the people afraid and to advance the cause of the anti campaign...
    You'd be surprised what even a modestly connected person can get on the street... and how fast and cheap. The fact is that criminals don't mind the laws.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    TommyJ1912 wrote:
    I simply don't understand how this individual was able to get ahold of an "assault weapon" to begin with. According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, California ranks as the state with "the strongest gun laws" - 79/100 on their 2008 scorecard ( http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/ ). The gunman, 27-year-old LaVelle Mixon, had "an extensive criminal history" and was "in violation of parole for assault with a deadly weapon" at the time of the shooting. Criminals aren't supposed to be able to get firearms in CA. I guess this one just slipped through the cracks. Maybe when CA scores 100/100, tragedies like this will finally be prevented... <sarcasm off>
    I can't believe you can add a smiley face to a story about 3 people getting killed. I'm sure their families would laugh at your sarcasm.

    I have came across 3 assault weapons in the last year; An M4 carbine, a Tek 9, and a fully automatic AR 15. It is far from impossible for street level thugs to get these weapons. Recently, San Bernardino County Sheriffs busted Indians who were selling various assault rifles from their San Manual indian reservation. Gangsters all over the county were carrying weapons from them. Granted, hand guns are far more common, but assault rifles are out there.




  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    CaCop wrote:
    I have came across 3 assault weapons in the last year; An M4 carbine, a Tek 9, and a fully automatic AR 15. It is far from impossible for street level thugs to get these weapons. Recently, San Bernardino County Sheriffs busted Indians who were selling various assault rifles from their San Manual indian reservation. Gangsters all over the county were carrying weapons from them. Granted, hand guns are far more common, but assault rifles are out there.


    You are mixing your terms. An assault rifle is a rifle capable of selectable fire, which makes it a machine gun per ATF regs. An assault weapon is a political, cosmetic definition, which means a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with one of several features (i.e. pistol grip, tele-stock, flash suppressor, etc.), or a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, or a semi-automatic centerfire rifle less than 30 inches in length.

    Did you come across actual assault rifles, or legal or illegal assault weapons, or legal semi-automatic rifles that look like the above but are neither. This intentional mixing of terms is part of the problem with the media. To them, a gun that looks like it might have any military use becomes an assault weapon. This mis-characterization is used to fool the public into more gun bans.

    CaCop wrote:
    I can't believe you can add a smiley face to a story about 3 people getting killed. I'm sure their families would laugh at your sarcasm.
    The sarcasm of the previous poster was not directed at the tragic loss of life of innocent LEOs. It was an attack on the Brady campaign, and it's flawed logic, and the asinine logic of gun control in general. You know without a doubt that the Brady campaign will exploit this tragedy to their advantage. They always do. That is the kind of scum that they are.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    Brady Campaign is normally quick to condemn these types of shootings... not a peep yet though. Guess they're staying quiet since this person not only got around their federal backed laws but also their state backed laws to get these weapons. Might just be that they are still using the Alabama/Germany shootings and are saving this for a day or two. I personally think that these people are sick twisted individuals for using such tragic events to push their twisted ideas.

    I recall Helmke saying at the first SCCC (Students for Conceal Carry on Campus) national conference that he thought a "gun free zone" was a place where not even police could carry legally in a round about way by implying that a court house a police officer was shot in was not a gun free zone because the officer had a pistol on him before the shooting. I deem almost everything out of that man's mouth as doublethink made doublespeak though.

    For the record, I find the deaths of these 4 officers to be horrible. A preventable tragedy had proper punishment been dealt to this individual on his first violent offense.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    The tech 9 was my arrest and it was an assault weapon per P.C. 12276. The M4 carbine and the fully auto AR15 were not my arrest. I just got to check them out before they were booked. I guess they dont fall under P.C. 12276 because they are fully automatic....My point was that they are not scarce. I wasn't trying to get into a technical discussion on how they are labeled.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    CaCop wrote:
    I have came across 3 assault weapons in the last year; ..., a Tek 9, ...
    Drink the koolaid.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    The biggest shock is that I haven't even heard of any media camping out at the
    parole board members homes, and asking them why they let him out?
    What made them think he wasn't a danger to the community?
    How many more crimes before they realize he wasn't "reformed"?

    This tragedy could have been avoided if the gov. would just do thier job, insted
    of playing politics, and keep criminals locked up when they are sentenced.

    But Kalifornia get used to this, when your government starts throwing the
    doors to the prisons wide open in the near future.




  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    CaCop wrote:
    The tech 9 was my arrest and it was an assault weapon per P.C. 12276. The M4 carbine and the fully auto AR15 were not my arrest. I just got to check them out before they were booked. I guess they dont fall under P.C. 12276 because they are fully automatic....My point was that they are not scarce. I wasn't trying to get into a technical discussion on how they are labeled.
    But you see CaCop, this is exactly the point. Law enforcement--yourself included labels semi-automatic rifles as "assault weapons", when in reality, they are not. Neither are they "Weapons of war" as they are often portrayed in the news, and by the government. The only true "assault weapons" are carried by criminals, law enforcement and the military.

    You all--and I speak to law enforcement, the government and the media needs to stop fear mongering, and quit labeling semi-auto rifles as "Assault weapons" when they are not...


  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The south land
    Posts
    1,230

    Post imported post

    CaCop wrote:
    TommyJ1912 wrote:
    I simply don't understand how this individual was able to get ahold of an "assault weapon" to begin with. According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, California ranks as the state with "the strongest gun laws" - 79/100 on their 2008 scorecard ( http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/ ). The gunman, 27-year-old LaVelle Mixon, had "an extensive criminal history" and was "in violation of parole for assault with a deadly weapon" at the time of the shooting. Criminals aren't supposed to be able to get firearms in CA. I guess this one just slipped through the cracks. Maybe when CA scores 100/100, tragedies like this will finally be prevented... <sarcasm off>
    I can't believe you can add a smiley face to a story about 3 people getting killed. I'm sure their families would laugh at your sarcasm.

    I have came across 3 assault weapons in the last year; An M4 carbine, a Tek 9, and a fully automatic AR 15. It is far from impossible for street level thugs to get these weapons. Recently, San Bernardino County Sheriffs busted Indians who were selling various assault rifles from their San Manual indian reservation. Gangsters all over the county were carrying weapons from them. Granted, hand guns are far more common, but assault rifles are out there.


    There was no pun intended toward the deaths of those police officers. You took what the poster said in a way that he did not intend. The point is that gun grabbing organizations will jump on this if they follow their usual pattern, stepping on the bodies of those officers as they do so and will do so in order to advance their agenda of stripping us of our right to keep and bear arms while making us all victims in the process.

    The point is--a law abiding citizen did not kill those officers, a criminal did.

    It isn't that anyone is happy the police were killed by a criminal, it is the lies told by the media and pushed forward by law enforcement trying to keep the people afraid of a semi-automatic rifle that looks "mean". Stop fear mongering, stop trying to put the idea into people's heads that a semi-auto rifle that looks like an M4 is in fact "an assault weapon" when in reality it is not.

    And No sir, you have come across 1 semi-auto rifle, 1 semi auto handgun and exactly 1 "assault weapon"... If you want to help the cause of firearms ownership--why don't you correct your partners when they mistakenly use the term "assault weapon" when they refer to a semi-auto rifle or handgun? There is a big difference between what the normal population can have and what law enforcement or the military is allowed to have.

    We have just as much legitimate need for these semi-automatic rifles as anyone else. Quit fear mongering, quit promoting an atmosphere of hatred toward a particular group of guns . The people do not, nor have we had access to real "assault weapons" since the enactment of the National Firearms Act.

    And I am sorry for the deaths of those officers, but a law abiding citizen did not kill them, a criminal did, and unless the firearm he used was a select-fire/fully automatic weapon then I can with 100% certainty say that an "assault weapon" was NOT used to kill them.

    But I am sorry.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    SlackwareRobert wrote:
    This tragedy could have been avoided if the gov. would just do thier job, insted
    of playing politics, and keep criminals locked up when they are sentenced.
    When so much garbage that bothers nobody is illegal, like we have these days, naturally the prisons are going to be overcrowded and keeping people in for a full sentence is impractical. I wonder how it would be if everyone who has violated a marijana law in the entire country turned themselves in on the same day (friday afternoon, no less, so enjoying the weekend wait) and all refused to bail themselves out.

    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...821697,00.html

    That'd be about 42% of the population, but we'll round down (in spite of all the other drugs) just for those who have already been convicted to say, 30%. Sure would make for an interesting political protest about our legal system (which is the point I was getting at, not drug laws, which were merely a tool to make that point).

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sebastopol, California, USA
    Posts
    710

    Post imported post

    CaCop wrote:
    The tech 9 was my arrest and it was an assault weapon per P.C. 12276. The M4 carbine and the fully auto AR15 were not my arrest. I just got to check them out before they were booked. I guess they dont fall under P.C. 12276 because they are fully automatic....My point was that they are not scarce. I wasn't trying to get into a technical discussion on how they are labeled.
    But the labels are important. The fact is, two of the weapons that you called assault weapons were in fact machine guns, and have been illegal since 1934. Clearly the fact that they were illegal didn't stop the criminals who used them. And if you or any other officer publicly referred to them as assault weapons, then you helped the anti-gun forces to fool the public into thinking that "assault weapons" are "machine guns" and help pass more "assault weapon" bans which only ban semi-autos.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •