• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakland Police shooting...

giaking70

imported post

3 Officers dead, suspect killed in Oakland, Calif.

OAKLAND, Calif. – Three Oakland police officers and a suspect are dead, and another officer is in grave condition, after two related shootings on Saturday, the first after a traffic stop and the second after a massive manhunt ended in gunfire, police said.
Two officers were shot in the first incident just after 1 p.m. after they stopped a suspect's vehicle in east Oakland, said Oakland police spokesman Jeff Thomason.
The suspect fled the scene on foot into a nearby neighborhood, police said, leading to an intense manhunt by dozens of Oakland police, California Highway Patrol officers and Alameda County sheriff deputies. Streets were roped off and an entire area of east Oakland closed to traffic.

At about 3:30 p.m. officers, acting on an anonymous tip, found the suspect, who had barricaded himself in an apartment building, police said.
Police said the suspect, 27-year-old Lovelle Mixon, of Oakland, fired an assault rifle at officers who came into the building to arrest him. Two officers were killed and a third was grazed by a bullet, police said.
Acting Oakland police Chief Howard Jordan said police returned fire, killing Mixon.
The slain officers were identified as Sgt. Mark Dunakin, 40, who was killed at the first shooting. The two members of the SWAT team who were killed at the second location were Sgt. Ervin Romans, 43, and Sgt. Daniel Sakai, 35. Officer John Hege, 41, is in grave condition.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said it was a tragic day for police officers. "All four officers dedicated their lives to public safety and selflessly worked to protect the people of Oakland," he said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those lost, the Oakland Police Department and law enforcement officers throughout California during this difficult time."
Police said Mixon wielded two different weapons, one at the first scene and another at the apartment building where he was hiding.
Hours after Saturday's shootings near a busy intersection just blocks from a police substation in east Oakland, people were still at the scene of the first shooting as police tape blocked off streets.

Mo Wiley, 32, of Oakland, said emotions still are raw from the Grant shooting.
"Oakland is a beautiful place," Wiley said. "But I just hate when it gets ugly like this."
Tension between police and the community has risen steadily since the fatal shooting of unarmed 22-year-old Oscar Grant by a transit police officer at an Oakland train station on Jan. 1.
That former Bay Area Rapid Transit officer, Johannes Mehserle, has pleaded not guilty to a murder charge. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Monday. Violent protests erupted on the streets of Oakland in the weeks after Grant's death, further inflaming tensions.On Saturday afternoon, about 20 people taunted police near the scene of the first shooting. A group of Oakland ministers went to the hospital to offer prayers and condolences to the family members of the injured officers and the dozens of Oakland police officers who gathered there.

They said that on Sunday morning they would urge their parishioners not to let the event tear the city apart.Pastor Raymond Lankford, executive director of Healthy Oakland, urged people to show support for the officers and their families.
"What officers do, that's a tough job," Lankford said. "They need love, they need support. They need to know the community is behind them."
The mood was somber outside the police station in Oakland, and flags were flying at half mast. Officers hugged and consoled each other.
"This is probably one of the worst incidents that has ever taken place in this history of the Oakland police department," Thomason said.

“Police said the suspect, 27-year-old Lovelle Mixon, of Oakland, fired an assault rifle at officers who came into the building to arrest him. Two officers were killed and a third was grazed by a bullet, police said”.

well, there goes our chances of ever getting assault rifles back...******* criminals ruining it for everybody. On a more serious note,its a tragedy and glad one more BG is off the streets...PERMANENTLY!!
Our luck, the guys parents will come out and say "They didn't have to kill my little angel, he was such a good kind hearted person". Guess again Mom and Dad....
[size=]

TommyJ1912

imported post

I simply don't understand how this individual was able to get ahold of an "assault weapon" to begin with. According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, California ranks as the state with "the strongest gun laws" - 79/100 on their 2008 scorecard ( http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/ ). The gunman, 27-year-old LaVelle Mixon, had "an extensive criminal history" and was "in violation of parole for assault with a deadly weapon" at the time of the shooting. Criminals aren't supposed to be able to get firearms in CA. I guess this one just slipped through the cracks. Maybe when CA scores 100/100, tragedies like this will finally be prevented... ;) <sarcasm off>

NightOwl

imported post

I'm curious if it was an actual assault rifle, or just a "media assault rifle" (aka any regular rifle that has some visible upgrades). Honestly, I'd be very, very shocked if it was really an assault rifle.

suntzu

imported post

This was most likely a simple rifle. The only true "assault weapons" are those carried by the police and the military--the rest are just in the imaginations of the brady people..

the people do not, nor have they since the passage of the NFA had access to true "Assault weapons" unless they want to obtain a Class III license and have a LOT of money to spend....

the media is just trying to take a tragic shooting and turn it into a platform to make the people afraid and to advance the cause of the anti campaign...

NightOwl

imported post

My thoughts are pretty much along those lines as well. I know the media likes to hype things for more sales/viewers, but...I'm loathe to say "there oughtta be a law" about anything, but if it's news, it should at least be true, even if it's a slanted viewpoint.

Jeffytune

imported post

The type of firearm is irreverent to the shooting.

If they just would have kept him locked up where Mr.Mixon belonged, they would all be alive today.

It's not a problem of gun control, it's criminal control they lack.

Jeffytune

imported post

But my heart and prayers still goes out to the families of the four officers lost.

suntzu

imported post

Jeffytune wrote:
The type of firearm is irreverent to the shooting.

If they just would have kept him locked up where Mr.Mixon belonged, they would all be alive today.

It's not a problem of gun control, it's criminal control they lack.
not to the Brady group it isn't. They will step on top of the bodies of these police officers in order to advance their agenda of hatred toward the Second Amendment.

I can hear them now--"if ONLY the people did not have those evil "assault weapons", this would never have happened..."

And sadly, the brady group is too stupid to realize that it was not a citizen who killed those officers, it was a CRIMINAL.....and he did not use an "assault weapon"...only law enforcement and the military have access to those...

NightOwl

imported post

Exactly, it's not that it matters what type of weapon was used all that much-the misnomer of "assault weapon" is used as a scare tactic to whip people up into calling their congressional rep. Which has a more imposing ring to it: "assault rifle" or "semi-automatic rifle"?

Ohes Noes, the assaults are comings, run aways!

imported post

i wonder if anyone would've died if this guy wasn't going to be "rearrested" for "violating parole"

freedom4all333

imported post

There's still no info on the actual rifle itself? and the first two officers got shot when the guy was inside his car with a rifle??? or did he get out of his car? any one know more info on the story? there's some details being left out here. its a shame to hear that all these people had to die.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

The story I read said that Mixon used the rifle during the standoff with SWAT....there was a different gun involved in the original traffic stop.

I don't have a link because I read it on my phone...and can't remember the source.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

suntzu wrote:
This was most likely a simple rifle. The only true "assault weapons" are those carried by the police and the military--the rest are just in the imaginations of the brady people..

the people do not, nor have they since the passage of the NFA had access to true "Assault weapons" unless they want to obtain a Class III license and have a LOT of money to spend....

the media is just trying to take a tragic shooting and turn it into a platform to make the people afraid and to advance the cause of the anti campaign...
You'd be surprised what even a modestly connected person can get on the street... and how fast and cheap. The fact is that criminals don't mind the laws.

CaCop

imported post

TommyJ1912 wrote:
I simply don't understand how this individual was able to get ahold of an "assault weapon" to begin with. According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, California ranks as the state with "the strongest gun laws" - 79/100 on their 2008 scorecard ( http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/ ). The gunman, 27-year-old LaVelle Mixon, had "an extensive criminal history" and was "in violation of parole for assault with a deadly weapon" at the time of the shooting. Criminals aren't supposed to be able to get firearms in CA. I guess this one just slipped through the cracks. Maybe when CA scores 100/100, tragedies like this will finally be prevented... ;) <sarcasm off>
I can't believe you can add a smiley face to a story about 3 people getting killed. I'm sure their families would laugh at your sarcasm.

I have came across 3 assault weapons in the last year; An M4 carbine, a Tek 9, and a fully automatic AR 15. It is far from impossible for street level thugs to get these weapons. Recently, San Bernardino County Sheriffs busted Indians who were selling various assault rifles from their San Manual indian reservation. Gangsters all over the county were carrying weapons from them. Granted, hand guns are far more common, but assault rifles are out there.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CaCop wrote:
I have came across 3 assault weapons in the last year; An M4 carbine, a Tek 9, and a fully automatic AR 15. It is far from impossible for street level thugs to get these weapons. Recently, San Bernardino County Sheriffs busted Indians who were selling various assault rifles from their San Manual indian reservation. Gangsters all over the county were carrying weapons from them. Granted, hand guns are far more common, but assault rifles are out there.
You are mixing your terms. An assault rifle is a rifle capable of selectable fire, which makes it a machine gun per ATF regs. An assault weapon is a political, cosmetic definition, which means a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with one of several features (i.e. pistol grip, tele-stock, flash suppressor, etc.), or a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, or a semi-automatic centerfire rifle less than 30 inches in length.

Did you come across actual assault rifles, or legal or illegal assault weapons, or legal semi-automatic rifles that look like the above but are neither. This intentional mixing of terms is part of the problem with the media. To them, a gun that looks like it might have any military use becomes an assault weapon. This mis-characterization is used to fool the public into more gun bans.

CaCop wrote:
I can't believe you can add a smiley face to a story about 3 people getting killed. I'm sure their families would laugh at your sarcasm.
The sarcasm of the previous poster was not directed at the tragic loss of life of innocent LEOs. It was an attack on the Brady campaign, and it's flawed logic, and the asinine logic of gun control in general. You know without a doubt that the Brady campaign will exploit this tragedy to their advantage. They always do. That is the kind of scum that they are.

fox689

imported post

Brady Campaign is normally quick to condemn these types of shootings... not a peep yet though. Guess they're staying quiet since this person not only got around their federal backed laws but also their state backed laws to get these weapons. Might just be that they are still using the Alabama/Germany shootings and are saving this for a day or two. I personally think that these people are sick twisted individuals for using such tragic events to push their twisted ideas.

I recall Helmke saying at the first SCCC (Students for Conceal Carry on Campus) national conference that he thought a "gun free zone" was a place where not even police could carry legally in a round about way by implying that a court house a police officer was shot in was not a gun free zone because the officer had a pistol on him before the shooting. I deem almost everything out of that man's mouth as doublethink made doublespeak though.

For the record, I find the deaths of these 4 officers to be horrible. A preventable tragedy had proper punishment been dealt to this individual on his first violent offense.

CaCop

imported post

The tech 9 was my arrest and it was an assault weapon per P.C. 12276. The M4 carbine and the fully auto AR15 were not my arrest. I just got to check them out before they were booked. I guess they dont fall under P.C. 12276 because they are fully automatic....My point was that they are not scarce. I wasn't trying to get into a technical discussion on how they are labeled.