• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakland Police shooting...

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The biggest shock is that I haven't even heard of any media camping out at the
parole board members homes, and asking them why they let him out?
What made them think he wasn't a danger to the community?
How many more crimes before they realize he wasn't "reformed"?

This tragedy could have been avoided if the gov. would just do thier job, insted
of playing politics, and keep criminals locked up when they are sentenced.

But Kalifornia get used to this, when your government starts throwing the
doors to the prisons wide open in the near future.

suntzu

imported post

CaCop wrote:
The tech 9 was my arrest and it was an assault weapon per P.C. 12276. The M4 carbine and the fully auto AR15 were not my arrest. I just got to check them out before they were booked. I guess they dont fall under P.C. 12276 because they are fully automatic....My point was that they are not scarce. I wasn't trying to get into a technical discussion on how they are labeled.
But you see CaCop, this is exactly the point. Law enforcement--yourself included labels semi-automatic rifles as "assault weapons", when in reality, they are not. Neither are they "Weapons of war" as they are often portrayed in the news, and by the government. The only true "assault weapons" are carried by criminals, law enforcement and the military.

You all--and I speak to law enforcement, the government and the media needs to stop fear mongering, and quit labeling semi-auto rifles as "Assault weapons" when they are not...

suntzu

imported post

CaCop wrote:
TommyJ1912 wrote:
I simply don't understand how this individual was able to get ahold of an "assault weapon" to begin with. According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, California ranks as the state with "the strongest gun laws" - 79/100 on their 2008 scorecard ( http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/ ). The gunman, 27-year-old LaVelle Mixon, had "an extensive criminal history" and was "in violation of parole for assault with a deadly weapon" at the time of the shooting. Criminals aren't supposed to be able to get firearms in CA. I guess this one just slipped through the cracks. Maybe when CA scores 100/100, tragedies like this will finally be prevented... ;) <sarcasm off>
I can't believe you can add a smiley face to a story about 3 people getting killed. I'm sure their families would laugh at your sarcasm.

I have came across 3 assault weapons in the last year; An M4 carbine, a Tek 9, and a fully automatic AR 15. It is far from impossible for street level thugs to get these weapons. Recently, San Bernardino County Sheriffs busted Indians who were selling various assault rifles from their San Manual indian reservation. Gangsters all over the county were carrying weapons from them. Granted, hand guns are far more common, but assault rifles are out there.
There was no pun intended toward the deaths of those police officers. You took what the poster said in a way that he did not intend. The point is that gun grabbing organizations will jump on this if they follow their usual pattern, stepping on the bodies of those officers as they do so and will do so in order to advance their agenda of stripping us of our right to keep and bear arms while making us all victims in the process.

The point is--a law abiding citizen did not kill those officers, a criminal did.

It isn't that anyone is happy the police were killed by a criminal, it is the lies told by the media and pushed forward by law enforcement trying to keep the people afraid of a semi-automatic rifle that looks "mean". Stop fear mongering, stop trying to put the idea into people's heads that a semi-auto rifle that looks like an M4 is in fact "an assault weapon" when in reality it is not.

And No sir, you have come across 1 semi-auto rifle, 1 semi auto handgun and exactly 1 "assault weapon"... If you want to help the cause of firearms ownership--why don't you correct your partners when they mistakenly use the term "assault weapon" when they refer to a semi-auto rifle or handgun? There is a big difference between what the normal population can have and what law enforcement or the military is allowed to have.

We have just as much legitimate need for these semi-automatic rifles as anyone else. Quit fear mongering, quit promoting an atmosphere of hatred toward a particular group of guns . The people do not, nor have we had access to real "assault weapons" since the enactment of the National Firearms Act.

And I am sorry for the deaths of those officers, but a law abiding citizen did not kill them, a criminal did, and unless the firearm he used was a select-fire/fully automatic weapon then I can with 100% certainty say that an "assault weapon" was NOT used to kill them.

But I am sorry.

NightOwl

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
This tragedy could have been avoided if the gov. would just do thier job, insted
of playing politics, and keep criminals locked up when they are sentenced.

When so much garbage that bothers nobody is illegal, like we have these days, naturally the prisons are going to be overcrowded and keeping people in for a full sentence is impractical. I wonder how it would be if everyone who has violated a marijana law in the entire country turned themselves in on the same day (friday afternoon, no less, so enjoying the weekend wait) and all refused to bail themselves out.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1821697,00.html

That'd be about 42% of the population, but we'll round down (in spite of all the other drugs) just for those who have already been convicted to say, 30%. Sure would make for an interesting political protest about our legal system (which is the point I was getting at, not drug laws, which were merely a tool to make that point).

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CaCop wrote:
The tech 9 was my arrest and it was an assault weapon per P.C. 12276. The M4 carbine and the fully auto AR15 were not my arrest. I just got to check them out before they were booked. I guess they dont fall under P.C. 12276 because they are fully automatic....My point was that they are not scarce. I wasn't trying to get into a technical discussion on how they are labeled.
But the labels are important. The fact is, two of the weapons that you called assault weapons were in fact machine guns, and have been illegal since 1934. Clearly the fact that they were illegal didn't stop the criminals who used them. And if you or any other officer publicly referred to them as assault weapons, then you helped the anti-gun forces to fool the public into thinking that "assault weapons" are "machine guns" and help pass more "assault weapon" bans which only ban semi-autos.

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

look it is a very unfortunate thing that has happened. the fact is, the gun is not what killed these cops, it was the person. he was a dangerous person, a violent felon who was on parole and just had nothing to lose. we know the media is going to call it an assault weapon and we just need to be prepared for that. i have several AR-15s, several, and im not going out killing cops, thats what we need to somehow portray to the media. it will be hard though because they will call a ruger 10/22 with a dragunov stock an assault weapon. if it looks cool, they label it an AW

suntzu

imported post

oilfieldtrash11 wrote:
look it is a very unfortunate thing that has happened. the fact is, the gun is not what killed these cops, it was the person. he was a dangerous person, a violent felon who was on parole and just had nothing to lose. we know the media is going to call it an assault weapon and we just need to be prepared for that. i have several AR-15s, several, and im not going out killing cops, thats what we need to somehow portray to the media. it will be hard though because they will call a ruger 10/22 with a dragunov stock an assault weapon. if it looks cool, they label it an AW
but the point is--it is law enforcement and the media which proliferates the lies about semi-auto rifles in an attempt to either make the people afraid or keep them in fear of a certain type of rifle based only on a label--but they never tell the people that a REAL "Assault weapon" is select fire or fully automatic, and that what the people have access to, and always have are SEMI-AUTO rifles, and that REAL AWs are either carried by law enforcement, the military or criminals..

CaCop

imported post

suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:
But you see CaCop, this is exactly the point. Law enforcement--yourself included labels semi-automatic rifles as "assault weapons", when in reality, they are not. Neither are they "Weapons of war" as they are often portrayed in the news, and by the government. The only true "assault weapons" are carried by criminals, law enforcement and the military.

You all--and I speak to law enforcement, the government and the media needs to stop fear mongering, and quit labeling semi-auto rifles as "Assault weapons" when they are not...
Yes, I label semi-auto weapons that fall under 12276 as assault weapons because the Penal Code does. Am I missing something here? Go look up P.C. 12276. It's a list of "assault weapons".

imported post

CaCop wrote:
suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:

Yes, I label semi-auto weapons that fall under 12276 as assault weapons because the Penal Code does. Am I missing something here? Go look up P.C. 12276. It's a list of "assault weapons".
is this the same reasoning you will use when kalifornia bans all guns an you enforce it.

shill

suntzu

imported post

CaCop wrote:
suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:

What you are missing is common sense, but that is not your fault, that lies with those wonderful leaders at the California state capital who can't see beyond their noses and who would not recognize common sense or reason if it stared them in the face and waved a huge neon sign at them...

An "assault weapon" is a firearm capable of select-fire or fully automatic operation.
Now tell me, who are the groups who possess "assault weapons?

I've seen P.C 12276, and it lists a whole host of semi-auto rifles that are not "assault weapons", but have been so deemed because of the desire of the politicians to pander to groups such as the Brady center--but I guarantee you that the criminals obey PC 12276 don't they? When was the last time you had a gang member say "OOPS, I can't have this gun, it's against the law, better hand that in while I can....".

What you enforce is stripping the people of their right to bear arms while you yourself are exempt from the law. You have read the US Constitution yes? Do you believe in the Constitution, or do you rather love your job more than the document that gives you your freedom to enforce draconian gun laws while violating the same?

PC 12276 is asinine, but what can you expect from Республика Калифорнистана? Translated--the Republic of Californiastan? It is aimed at the law abiding person--criminals don't give a crap. That is why they are called criminals.

The people of California have just as much use for those semi-auto rifles such as the AK and the AR and the Galil which is an improved version of the Russian AK as you do. What you "enforce" is the stripping of the rights from the people, and thus turning them into victims in waiting...

Congratulations on a job well done.

CaCop

imported post

ImFromTheGovernmentAndImHereToHelp wrote:
CaCop wrote:
suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:

is this the same reasoning you will use when kalifornia bans all guns an you enforce it.

shill
Yes

suntzu

imported post

CaCop wrote:
CaCop wrote:
suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:

shill
Yes
And then the police wonder why the people do not support law enforcement, won't talk to you and believe that you cannot be trusted?

You would have done well in New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina when the police and the national guard kicked in doors and took the guns from the people and turned them into victims...

Congratulations comrade.

imported post

suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:
CaCop wrote:
suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:

shill
Yes
And then the police wonder why the people do not support law enforcement, won't talk to you and believe that you cannot be trusted?

You would have done well in New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina when the police and the national guard kicked in doors and took the guns from the people and turned them into victims...

Congratulations comrade.
i wonder if he believes in the state of kalifonia enough to die for it :celebrate

suntzu

imported post

suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:
CaCop wrote:
suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:

shill
Yes

Congratulations comrade.
i wonder if he believes in the state of kalifonia enough to die for it :celebrate
that is absolutely outrageous and should not be tolerated on this board.

your attitude is as bad as his.

NightOwl

imported post

CaCop, at first I thought you were a rational, thinking individual, who had an interesting viewpoint to bring to the board. Not that I agreed with it, but all the same. However, the manner in which you admit how you'd enforce laws that you know are clearly unconstitutional has caused me to lose all respect for you.

imported post

suntzu wrote:
suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:
CaCop wrote:
suntzu wrote:
CaCop wrote:

shill
Yes

Congratulations comrade.
that is absolutely outrageous and should not be tolerated on this board.

your attitude is as bad as his.
why? i'm not advocating his death, i'm just wondering if he is willing to die enforcing these laws. must be since he is a pig. but certainly he will encounter resistance even in kalifornia with an attempt to ban guns, and will likely be killed trying.

CaCop

imported post

Oh well, I don't need your respect. I choose to enforce the laws that I HAVE TO enforce. You act as if I can tell my Chief, "sorry Sir, I don't think that law is constitutional, thus I will refrain from enforcing it."

What I think is comical is the way you present your argument. You tell me that a Tek 9 isn't an "assault weapon". I show you that it is per the Penal Code, and you respond by saying that the the penal code is wrong.

Some of you are like little kids who can't handle anyone telling them they are wrong. Even if you are proven wrong, you are still right. By the way (it is sad that I have to explain things like this in such an elementary manner) if you look, I haven't expressed my opinion at all yet. The only thing I said was that these weapons are out there and that gangsters can get them easily. I was attacked for labeling them as assault weapons. That wasn't even the point of my post. Next you will attack my spelling or grammar.

imported post

CaCop wrote:
Oh well, I don't need your respect. I choose to enforce the laws that I HAVE TO enforce. You act as if I can tell my Chief, "sorry Sir, I don't think that law is constitutional, thus I will refrain from enforcing it."

What I think is comical is the way you present your argument. You tell me that a Tek 9 isn't an "assault weapon". I show you that it is per the Penal Code, and you respond by saying that the the penal code is wrong.

Some of you are like little kids who can't handle anyone telling them they are wrong. Even if you are proven wrong, you are still right. By the way (it is sad that I have to explain things like this in such an elementary manner) if you look, I haven't expressed my opinion at all yet. The only thing I said was that these weapons are out there and that gangsters can get them easily. I was attacked for labeling them as assault weapons. That wasn't even the point of my post. Next you will attack my spelling or grammar.
if you had any morals you would. but its obvious you don't. your paycheck, authority complex, and job security are more important to you than freedom.

you are like a little kid. you believe because someone has authority they are right. just because some phony @#$%s make up some phony laws and phony terms for firearms, doesn't make it right because they are legislators.

you've already stated that if kalifornia makes firearms illegal you would enforce that law, and obviously by your logic you would think its "right" because some phony authority figures make it up. thats childish my friend

yes, semi-automatic weapons are out there, and GASP they can be easily gotten. we really needed you to come out and say that fact. i can go to the store tomorrow and buy a tec9. big @#$%ing deal. i guess by your logic if i have a tec9 i can take on the world because its an assault weapon... :uhoh:

BTW, tec9 are worthless pieces of @#$% and i wouldn't be caught dead with one.

machine pistols are only effective when they are fully automatic. a tec9 is a worthless inaccurate version of a auto pistol, but since it looks dangerous people like you say they need to be banned.

cato

imported post

CalCop,

Keep in mind that those posters may not be in Ca and they may indeed be 13 Y.O.

For others,

A CA "AW" is a felony. As such officers don't have discretion as we do with misdemeanors. I'd like to advise (as Ibelieve it unconstitutional), but even I can't do that until the courts have made the call. Our system doesn't work differently then that.

And further to take the reprehensible tone as one poster has on a thread about 4 dead brave AMERICANS (citizen police officers) who were trying to enforce the law against a violent parolee, does a great disservice to OUR CAUSE, thePRO LEfounders of this site andour valiantdead.

Please retract you post, sir.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CaCop wrote:
SNIP You tell me that a Tek 9 isn't an "assault weapon". I show you that it is per the Penal Code, and you respond by saying that the the penal code is wrong.
No sure what all the bile is about; don't want to read it in detail, either. So, I'll just stick with this one aspect.

What they are trying to get across, CaCop, is that the penal code is wrong; but there is more to the story that they are not getting across.

Broadly, gun-controllers and/or the media created the term assault weapon.

My guess is they decided earlier to twist the meaning of theassault rifle. An assault rifle is a specific class of military,medium-power riflefiring an intermediate-power cartridge. My experience has been, and I was taught in themilitarythatone of the main distinguishing characteristics of an assault rifle is that it is capable of bothautomatic and semi-automatic fire.

Some additional info, just to add perspective.A classic military engagement consists of several phases. When the military unit ismoving towards the enemy intending to engage it is called an attack. Say, when US armor made the miles long dash across the desertin Iraqi Freedom to beat up Saddams armor and infantry. That would be an attack. Or, to make an infantry example, when Longstreet's troops, having formed up on the afternoon of July 3, 1863, stepped out and started to march across the nearly mile-widespace towards the Union center at Gettysburg.That would be an attack.

The final phase whereinfantry is close to the enemy and moves forward, fighting their way through the enemy position is called the assault. Once Longstreet's troops were close to the Union line and they made the final-yards approach and started actually fighting the Union troops with rifle fire and bayonet, that would be the assault phase. A pistol grip rifle capable of auto or semi-auto fire is considered particularly useful for this phase. Hence, the term assault rifle.

First invented by Germany in WWII,assault riflesare less powerful than a battle rifle likethe1903bolt-actionSpringfieldor the M1 Garand. But more powerful than a sub-machine gun, most of which fire pistol ammunition.

Gun-controllers and media have spun the term to include semi-auto-only civilian rifles.

So, having spun the meaning of an assault rifle, gun-controllers and media have gone on tospin the term assault to mean...well...that is the point. They don't really define it, relying on scariness rather than a technical definition. Relying on the lack of precise definition to let them paint any gun they want as an assault weapon.

Politicians just jumped on the bandwagon enacting laws against so-called assault weapons. Basically the terms have been twisted and spun, ending up in statutes.

The enactment of a statute doesn't legitimize the misuse of terminology or make it true.

This is what the guys are objecting to.