Thread: is TN an open carry state or not?

Post imported post

i am from KY and plan on visiting TN shortly, i was just wondering if TN is open carry or not. i have a CCDW issued from KY and i know that TN honors the liscense. but i was reading a post on here and it said that TN issues a permit to open carry and conceal. so i was just wonderingif you had to have special permit to open carry there. any help would be apperciated. also if anyone could give me a link to the TN gun law statues I would be grateful. thx again.

Post imported post

Unlike KY, you can not OC in TN without a permit. So TN issues a Handgun Carry Permit. The HCP allows you to OC or CC.

You can OC in TN as long as you have a valid permit from any state.

Here is a good post about TN law.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

alright thx for the help. in ky you dont have to have a permit to OC so i just wanted to make sure before i went down there and OC.

Post imported post

what about on the farm? my landlord wants me to check a fence that runs for several miles, and he told me i needed to take a handgun along because he's had to shoot several coyotys that wouldn't run, that looked like they might attack. do i need a permit to carry on the farm? if so what about a long gun?

Post imported post

boomer92266 wrote:
    what about on the farm? my landlord wants me to check a fence that runs for several miles, and he told me i needed to take a handgun along because he's had to shoot several coyotys that wouldn't run, that looked like they might attack. do i need a permit to carry on the farm? if so what about a long gun?
    As long as you are on your premises you do not need a permit and there is no restriction on long gun carry. 39-17-1308(a)(3)(C)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Fallguy wrote:
    boomer92266 wrote:
    As long as you are on your premises you do not need a permit and there is no restriction on long gun carry. 39-17-1308(a)(3)(C)
    If I understand the statutes correctly, if you are acting as an agent/employee for a land owner and the landowner has authorized you to "go armed" on his/her property, you don't need aHCP to carry a handgun within the boundaries of said property.