• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is TN an open carry state or not?

cgrantjr

imported post

i am from KY and plan on visiting TN shortly, i was just wondering if TN is open carry or not. i have a CCDW issued from KY and i know that TN honors the liscense. but i was reading a post on here and it said that TN issues a permit to open carry and conceal. so i was just wonderingif you had to have special permit to open carry there. any help would be apperciated. also if anyone could give me a link to the TN gun law statues I would be grateful. thx again.

Fallguy

imported post

Unlike KY, you can not OC in TN without a permit. So TN issues a Handgun Carry Permit. The HCP allows you to OC or CC.

You can OC in TN as long as you have a valid permit from any state.

Here is a good post about TN law.

boomer92266

imported post

what about on the farm? my landlord wants me to check a fence that runs for several miles, and he told me i needed to take a handgun along because he's had to shoot several coyotys that wouldn't run, that looked like they might attack. do i need a permit to carry on the farm? if so what about a long gun?

Fallguy

imported post

boomer92266 wrote:
what about on the farm? my landlord wants me to check a fence that runs for several miles, and he told me i needed to take a handgun along because he's had to shoot several coyotys that wouldn't run, that looked like they might attack. do i need a permit to carry on the farm? if so what about a long gun?
As long as you are on your premises you do not need a permit and there is no restriction on long gun carry. 39-17-1308(a)(3)(C)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fallguy wrote:
boomer92266 wrote:
As long as you are on your premises you do not need a permit and there is no restriction on long gun carry. 39-17-1308(a)(3)(C)
If I understand the statutes correctly, if you are acting as an agent/employee for a land owner and the landowner has authorized you to "go armed" on his/her property, you don't need aHCP to carry a handgun within the boundaries of said property.