Thread: Whatcom County Sherrif's office

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I have been there a few times these last few weeks and I feel they are very pro 2ndA.

I finally applied for my concealed license over a week ago very helpful and nothing said about my side arm. Also went in a few days ago to ask about no shooting zones and where I can legally take my kids out for target practice. The receptionist was very freindly but wasn't sure so she went and asked a deputy to come talk to me. He also was very professional and helpful. Was told that as long I was outside of city property and met the other requirements (being away from water, and houses) I was clear. I told him about the no shooting sign on the way to where I live but that the hills above me were state and county land. And found out that as long as I have a proper back drop I am clear to go. Yea now I can just take the kids hiking and plinking hiking right out of my house.

At no time did he say anything about my side arm, or had a bad attitude at all. I told him I didn't want to inadvertantlybe breaking the law and he said that even if I did, they would probably just come out and warn me that that was a no shooting zone.

edit to add:

The very next day I hiked up and went shooting with my cousin. Cold. Nothing better than finding your own little private range.

I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Lucky you SVG, I wish I can find some place close to auburn , Wait for a month or so it will not be cold.

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    I have been there a few times these last few weeks and I feel they are very pro 2ndA.
    I have also had very good experiences in the downtown office. I can not with any confidence say that the individual officers are all that pro 2a. Various conversations I have had make me a little worried about their approach. I have been told point blank that any encounter by one particular officer will have me disarmed regardless of my statis, CC, OC or otherwise. Anytime he found a person armed he was going to disarm them for "officer saftey". I found this pretty disturbing. The department is made up of a lot of diverse individuals and they don't seem to all be playing by the same rule book. ( the constitution).

Whatcom county is still a question mark in my book.

Post imported post

I would not give up my gun for there so called safety as my safety
    just went bye bye.

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:

I finally applied for my concealed license over a week ago very helpful and nothing said about my side arm. Also went in a few days ago to ask about no shooting zones and where I can legally take my kids out for target practice. The receptionist was very freindly but wasn't sure so she went and asked a deputy to come talk to me. He also was very professional and helpful. Was told that as long I was outside of city property and met the other requirements (being away from water, and houses) I was clear. I told him about the no shooting sign on the way to where I live but that the hills above me were state and county land. And found out that as long as I have a proper back drop I am clear to go. Yea now I can just take the kids hiking and plinking hiking right out of my house.

At no time did he say anything about my side arm, or had a bad attitude at all. I told him I didn't want to inadvertantlybe breaking the law and he said that even if I did, they would probably just come out and warn me that that was a no shooting zone.

edit to add:

The very next day I hiked up and went shooting with my cousin. Cold. Nothing better than finding your own little private range.
    You might want to research the county ordinances. Snohomish county has a huge list of no shooting areas listed in their code and anything that is not listed is OK.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:

[quote]You might want to research the county ordinances. Snohomish county has a huge list of no shooting areas listed in their code and anything that is not listed is OK.[quote]

Thats what I was trying to do. I did do some search online, but it gets confusing because Bellingham sort of winds in and out of a few mountains. Galbraith some of it is and some isn't so I now go on Lookout wich is behind that one and definately out of city limits. The deputy assured me I would be fine there. Making sure I have a back drop and no hikers in my path. I know of a perfect spot there but it is a long hike so I just hiked most of the way.

Downrange wrote:

[quote]I have also had very good experiences in the downtown office. I can not with any confidence say that the individual officers are all that pro 2a. Various conversations I have had make me a little worried about their approach. I have been told point blank that any encounter by one particular officer will have me disarmed regardless of my statis, CC, OC or otherwise. Anytime he found a person armed he was going to disarm them for "officer saftey". I found this pretty disturbing. The department is made up of a lot of diverse individuals and they don't seem to all be playing by the same rule book. ( the constitution).

Whatcom county is still a question mark in my book.[quote]

Welcome aboard Downrange always good to see new posters. Do you live in Whatcom County? I agree with you whatcom county has a lot of anti's in it. Not as much as I thought there would be.

Our Sherrif Bill Elfo is Pro 2ndA and from my experience I think he fills his department with like minded folks. Several years ago I had to dispatch a deer and it was in a no shooting zone and his deputy said they never prosecute for those, and added bonus that it saves them paper work they have to fill out when they discharge their weapons.But as you pointed out that doesn't mean every person in the department are. We often hear about the the ones who dont' I felt it would nice to point out a positive experience with LEOwho don't seem to be against us. I feel this from past experience with other deputies where I did and felt it necessary to 'brandish'a weapon, and also from other folks in the county who have had positive experiences with Whatcom County Sherrif Department.

Now Bellingham city police, might be a differant story, but none have bothered me so far and I know several have seen me with my sidearm. I pretty much carry everywhere I go now.

I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)