• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Is The NRA?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Don't for get WI-Force (WRPA) and Wisconsin Gun Owners, Inc.Both of these "pro gun" organizationshave been silent. When WI-Force was directly asked, their response was "we do what the NRA attorney tells us."

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I've come to the conclusion that the ONLY value the NRA offers to me is that "The Brand" evokes the ire of liberals and anti-gunners everywhere. I didn't renew my membership.

If I want to piss off a liberal or just go about in public and weed out the anti-gunners I come across I can still go buy a hat off their website. But as a matter of principle, either they have non, or their principles don't match mine.

smithman

imported post

Its time for those of us who hold NRA memberships to tell them in no uncertain terms that they can expect to get jack from us in the way of money or extended memberships until they acknowledge the legality of open carry.

Their misleading on this important issue must NOT be overlooked.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

smithman wrote:
Its time for those of us who hold NRA memberships to tell them in no uncertain terms that they can expect to get jack from us in the way of money or extended memberships until they acknowledge the legality of open carry.

(my emphasis)

What misleading?

borrowed time

imported post

BB62 wrote:
smithman wrote:

(my emphasis)

What misleading?
Probably not misleading, how about no-leading. On 6-11-2008 I inquired to the NRA as to what it takes to get help to inform legislators and law enforcement about the right of open carry without harrassment. Their reply was they would notify the Public Affairs Office and the state lobbyist. Does anyone know who the state lobbyist is, and what his opinion is on the current state of affairs?

borrowed time

imported post

Been pondering this subject for some time. I wonder how we can have lawmakers and LE in the state take open carry seriously if the NRA can't even step to the plate to show some support like Pointman states would be nice.

What do you all think if we e-mail the crap out of the NRA to at least show some support with a story in their magazine, if nothing else. I know some here have no use for this organization, but they are the 800 lb. gorilla in the room. What have we got to lose but a couple minutes time. Contacting someone besides legislators might be a change of pace.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

800 pound gorillas do not attend to twittering non-lifer NRA members. Or do you believe that they haven't hear the uninfringed Second Amendment message from enough of their 4 million members to change their way?

The NRA depends on the sale of exceptions to Second Amendment infringements for its reason for existence and financial well being, from selling lobbyists votes to mandatory training.

borrowed time

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
800 pound gorillas do not attend to twittering non-lifer NRA members. Or do you believe that they haven't hear the uninfringed Second Amendment message from enough of their 4 million members to change their way?

The NRA depends on the sale of exceptions to Second Amendment infringements for its reason for existence and financial well being, from selling lobbyists votes to mandatory training.
If it turns out that we hear nothing about any of this from the NRA or their rag, I will be the first to say that you are 100% right about them.

Support The 2nd

imported post

Just throwing out an idea here:

Go to the various Rod & Gun clubs, especially those who are NRA affiliated clubs. Point out that the NRA does not support our rights and ask the club board to terminate their affiliation.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Support The 2nd wrote:
Just throwing out an idea here:

Go to the various Rod & Gun clubs, especially those who are NRA affiliated clubs. Point out that the NRA does not support our rights and ask the club board to terminate their affiliation.
That is going to be pretty hard when the NRA gives many of them grants for range improvement and they have NRA rifle matches. Also, you need to change the mind set that CCW is equally importantas fightinggun bans. These people see "legislative alerts" and the claims that the NRA is fighting against gun bans and gun rights as actual action. The mass mailings and E-mails that the NRA sends keeps the NRA fresh in their minds.

RugerMan

imported post

I am also disappointed with the apparent lack of attention Wisconsin has received from the NRA. However, nationwide, their influence and power to push 2nd amendment issues cannot be denied.

I will agree that many on this board, at least in this state, have certain doctrinal differences with the NRA. Just as many of us attend one church denomination or another, we don't typically bash the others. Let's do the same with the NRA. They are largely a force for change in this country.

Thank God for the NRA, because if it wasn't for that organization, the Brady Bunch would have done far worse damage to our second amendment rights.

The NRA is the nations foremost proponent of Gun safety and personal responsibility. Even gun hating legislators acknowledge that by demanding their subjects take an NRA approved safety course.

In Florida, where I'm from, the NRA is a strong force for change and lobbied to secure so many of the rights Floridians enjoy.

In Wisconsin, perhaps membership isn't particularly high, and perhaps, it doesn't fit into a national strategy for change, and perhaps it's just too darn close to Chicago for their taste. In any event, I am disappointed that the NRA has not taken an interest in the state of Wisconsin.

If there were a more effective organization that promoted 2nd amendment rights, and constantly backed legislation that secured those rights, I'd join.

Instead of bashing the NRA for what it's not, let's be glad it's there for what it is.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

It is a sad state of affairs that we back the NRA because they are percieved as "The best thing we have going for us".. What is sad is that we do not have a better alternative which is as powerful.

In spite ofhaving criticisms I continue to pay my annual NRA dues. I also recycle subsequent requests for money from them above this amount. My club requires me to be an NRA member. I do see first hand the positive things which the NRA does for ranges and shooting programs.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rugerman:

You can work for a company for 40 years and have an impeccable record. Screw up once and you get fired. What you did for 40 years means diddley squat. The fact that you infringed on the company's trust is what dishonored you and led to the firing. So it is with the NRA. It matters not how much good it has done. It continues to boast that as an organization it supports the gun rights of each and every one of it's members. It does this in exchange for an annual membership. In exchange for our membership we should have the right to expect equal support of all gun control issues be they open carry, concealed carry, registration,or others. Also we should expect the same level of effortfrom the NRA to defend all of our gun control rights not only those they have determined as important. We should also not have to accept that just because we don't have a high population of membership or becausewe live in a relativelynon influentialarea of the countrythat we should expect and accept less support from the NRA. Just because the NRA has done a number of good things does not justify it turning it's back on it's Wisconsin members.

RugerMan

imported post

Again, I don't worship the NRA, and I am disappointed in it's apparent lack of interest in Wisconsin. But, Wisconsin's citizens at large have showed a lack of interest in the RTKBA. We can't put our current situation on them.

Incidentally, I received the following email from the NRA today:
Urgent: Governor Doyle Seeks to Triple Background Check Fee!

Please Contact Your Legislators Immediately!

In a disturbing move aimed at making gun ownership even more difficult and costly in the Badger State, Governor Jim Doyle’s (D) budget bill would raise the background check fee on handguns from $8 to $30. Governor Doyle is insisting that gun owners pay over three times more for a background check before they can exercise their Second Amendment rights.

Please respectfully urge your state legislators to oppose Governor Doyle’s unfair and unjust gun tax. Your State Senator can be reached by phone at (608) 266-2517. You can reach your State Representative at (608) 266-1501.

To identify your legislators and to find more contact information, please click her

e.We also encourage you to attend hearings on the budget by the Joint Finance Committee and express your opposition to any increase in the background check fee. There are two hearings scheduled for this week and three more scheduled for next week:

Wednesday, March 25 (10am to 4pm)
State Fair Park Tommy G. Thompson Youth Center
Banquet Room #2 640 S. 84th Street West Allis, WI 53214

Friday, March 27 (10am to 4pm)
University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire Haas Fine Arts Center
Gantner Concert Hall 121 Water Street Eau Claire, WI 54703

Monday, March 30 (10am to 4pm)
J.I. Case High School Theater
7345 Washington Ave Racine, WI 53406

Wednesday, April 1 (10am to 4pm) Lawrence University
Stansbury Theater (Music Drama Center)
420 E. College Ave Appleton, WI 54911

Friday, April 3 (10am to 4pm) Amundson Community Center
Cambridge Municipal Building
200 Spring Street Cambridge, WI 53523

There is a story in the GB Press Gazette about the matter as well, and the NRA apparently commented on it. But the NRA is only as good as it's members in an area, and it relies on our grassroots response heavily. That is something that we, as a state, seem to be lacking.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090302/GPG0101/90302220/1978