• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws that need fixing.

me812

imported post

Going thought the Arizona gun statutes, I've found a couple things that are badly in need of rectification.

First of all, it seems that reckless discharge of a firearm is considered a felony, even if it's done accidentally and doesn't kill or permanently injure someone. People have actually been prosecuted for this. This charge needs to be reduced to a misdemeanor or eliminated altogether.

Second of all, I noticed that the state statute prohibiting the transfer of firearms to prohibited possessors seems to contain no exception for good faith as the federal statute does. IOW, you can be hit with a felony charge for selling a gun to a PP who you honestly did not know was prohibited.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this here since I know that AZCDL guys frequent this place. I'm ashamed to say I haven't joined yet, but right now, I'm still busy paying off my GOA life membership.

protector84

imported post

I agree with this discharge law needing to be changed as well. People run red lights every day which is far more likely to kill people than a negligent discharge. Even a DUI is a misdemeanor unless it meets certain criteria for a felony and running a red light is merely a civil violation. If the discharge is truely accidental and nobody is hurt, it should be a civil violation--not even a misdemeanor. I don't encourage reckless behavior but accidents happen. We don't arrest people for getting in fender benders so why should someone who accidently discharges a firearm be facing time in prison? On the other hand and I'm sure most of us agree that if a person is knowingly acting recklessly with a firearm then they should be charged with criminal endangerment charges. Whether or not that wouldbe a felony or a misdemeanor should depend on the severety of the recklessness.

Hiredgun30

imported post

i hope they change the "no guns where alcohol is served" law.

i like idahos law, it says u cant be intoxicated while carrying concealed.

it bothers me that i cant go in places like marie calanders and carry concealed

without breaking the law.

me812

imported post

i hope they change the "no guns where alcohol is served" law.

So do I, but it could be worse. New Mexico's law prohibits OC in any place that sells alcohol, which puts off limits pretty much every grocery and convenience store in the state. And violating it is a felony, not a misdemeanor like it is here. I have no idea how an otherwise gun-friendly state like NM wound up with such a draconian, onerous law.

impulse

imported post

The reckless discharge use toonly bea misdemeanor, but after a bunch of jack asses had to shoot up in the air in celebration, and having one of those bullets come down, and kill a young girl; they upped the charge. Do I think it should be a felony? Yes and no. It's not a black and white matter. If a retard shoots a gun up in the air multiple times to celebrate new years, then yes they should be charged with a felony. But if was a mistake and no was harmed, no.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seems like there should be a distinction between reckless and accidental discharge. They are not the same at all.