• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC Councilmember Mendelson's defense of DC gun registration stretches truth beyond breaking point

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m3d22-DC-Councilmember-Mendelsons-defense-of-DC-gun-registration-stretches-truth-beyond-breaking-point

SNIP

But today Councilmember Phil Mendelson insists in a Washington Post commentarythat Congress must allow DC gun registration scheme to continue. Let's consider Mendelson's arguments in detail.

First, Mendelson said that the Supreme Court "upheld the constitutionality of gun registration."

Um, wrong. In DC v. Heller the Supreme Court said that

"Respondent conceded at oral argument that he does not 'have a problem with ... licensing' and that the District's law is permissible so long as it is 'not enforced in an arbitrary and capricious manner.' Tr. of Oral Arg. 74-75. We therefore assume that petitioners' issuance of a license will satisfy respondent's prayer for relief and do not address the licensing requirement."

In other words, the issue of registration per se was not before the Court.

Tex

imported post

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that D.C.'s politician's are "as dumb as paint, really dumb paint". My question is, how did these people ever manage to figure out how to leave the house without bumping into themselves on the way out?

darthmord

imported post

albritton77 wrote:
When are the local dimwits (AKA politicians) going to realize that their gun laws have CREATED the violence in their city?
That would require acceptance of responsibility for their actions. Something a large segment of American Society is unwilling to do as it invites the realization of failure.

Remember, no one is a loser. Everyone is a winner.

Those sorts of statement are why I typically respond "If everyone is a winner, then why do we keep score?"

Tex

imported post

Would a scoreless society be "pointless"? sounds right to me!!

Alexcabbie

imported post

albritton77 wrote:
When are the local dimwits (AKA politicians) going to realize that their gun laws have CREATED the violence in their city?

Actually the worst of this assembly of the Mystic Knghts of the Sea Lodge Hall potentates in fact do see reality. A citizen shot dead by a hoodlum no one dares testify against because the government has deprived both the original victim and the witness of the right iof self-defense via A LAW THAT WILL NEVER KEEP THE ASSAILAINT FROM ATTACKING is simply a bloody shirt for some politician to wave.

Herre is what I have trouble understanding. There is so much freaking security in DC against terrorism. But if I was trying to overthrow the United Staes, the LAST thing I would do would b e to destroy the useful idiots in bith the local and Federal government therein. SOMEBODY would have to surrender, and allowing the DC area to survive would allow a semblance of legitimacy to the surrender thw way that the surrender of say Columbus, Ohio would not.

Let's cut the bullshit. the antis are not just wrong, THEY ARE EVIL. A gut-shot teenager and his grieving family are just handy tools to them. Sarah Brady was sucked in by their phony concern for people. They ar4e concerned only with political power. The argument about the 2A in this country has NEVER been about saving lives or reducing crime despite the efforts of the antis to frame the debate in those terms. Political power grows from the barrel of a gun. No truer words were ever spoken. Our founders knew this and anybody with an ounce of brains knows this. And yes in this country at least we rely on the power "of the ballot and not the bullet" Well, not quite. The ballot only stands with the backing of the bullet. So it depends on who has the bullets, now doesn't it??

Oh, and about that shit "the pen is mightier than the sword". Those are perhaps the stupidest seven words ever strung together by a human being. He who wields a mean pen had by God better have a sword to back it up with.

Thank Almighty God for the Potomac River.

Tex

imported post

How about we totally wall in D.C. and let the yokels there stew in their own juices, absolutely no outside interference for six months. All that would be left are the murderers, rapists, drug dealers, and scum... and of course the few gun toting, self preserving, right leaning survivalists, who know better!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Truth has nothing to do with 'agenda'. Apparently 'Shall not be infringed' is incomprehensible to these over-educated simpletons as well. RTKBA is an actualright denied... a deliberate civil rights violation... and therefore a crime. The nations capitol is in the hands of a criminal enterprise masquerading under color of law. That seems to be the norm in DC... local and otherwise.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Once upon a time DC had RTKBA. It was a pretty cool place to go back then, and the policce were a first-rate professional force that was the envy of the nation (while the departments in Alexandria and Arlington were a bunch of rednecked clod-hoppers). There was a lot of violence but it was prettty much restricted to the slums; and back then a street dealer who came up short on his money was usually punished by being whipped with a wire coathangar or possibly pistol-whipped. Then came unilateral disarmament of LACs, and the police were simutrtaneously allowed to slide into disarray by both non-improvement in basic equipment (The homicide section was still using rotary dial phones as late as 1987); and by allowing sub-standard recruits to graduate the Academy - and at one point background checks were so lax that FELONS were being given badges and guns, and this is not a rumor but a true report!!

I had the pleasure of experiencing the misdemeanor criminal court system a few years back when (unbeknownst to me) my driver's permit was suspended (for railing to answer an insurance verification letter because it and my change of address crossed in the mail) It is a highly ritualized goofy system in which I waited all day long and then was asked why I was there. It took them five minutes of checking but as it turned out the arresting officer had not filed the proper charging documents. Not just did not show up, but never charged me with anything. This, I am given to understand, is fairly common. There are so many hoops to jump through at every stage of the CJP that the cops and prosecutors are bound to miss a few pretty often. BGs get off scott-free at an astounding rate. But be an (otherwise) LAC and get caught with a firearm, and by God they wil make sure every i is dotted and every t crossed. Result: respect for the law that is almost zero and fear of the law pretty much limited to getting your ride snatched for too many parking tickets.

These are people who want the lion and the lamb to lay down together. Problem is, they really don't have much concern whether both of them get up. :shock:

Alexcabbie

imported post

The entire deterioration of the National Capital from what it was into what it is today dovetails precicesly with the advent of "home rule". The more the City took over management of its own affairs the worse things got. And this is not just from an RTKBA perspective but is a general quality-of-life issue. Being a DC politician is to be stuvk in a "dead end" job, that dead end being the Mayor's Office. Nationwide, being a big-city mayor means taking on a lot of political baggage, as there are too many "special interests" to appease. How many big-city mayors have gone on to become Governors or Senators? Practically none.

Two words: MARION BARRY. Elected mayor on a platform of gay rights and home rule, he sold any part of the City he could to whoever had the bucks to finaance his affinity for cocaine and whores. (There is a stoplight in the middle of the block on 18th Street MW between K street and L street that developer Oliver Carr paid Barry a pretty penny for. The purpose of the light was to let vehicles out of Carr's "Carr Park" garage expediently).

Barry was caught with both cocaine AND a whore and convicted on Federal charges. Even so he regained the Mayor's office and, even after being finally driven out, gained a place on the City Council where, even today and even after multiple accusations and convictions and parole violations on drug and tax charges he sits and represents the Citizens of DC.

And, this same Marion Barry, during the debates over DC's proposed draconian anti-gun laws FRANKLY ADMITTED THEY WOULD NOT SAVE A SINGLE LIFE AND IN FACT WOULD MAKE THINGS WORSE but nonetheless campaigned for these idiotic laws and helped shepherd them through the legislative process into the DC Code.

I have to stop here. Were I to write a complete analysis of exactly what is wrong with DC it would fill several hundred typewritten pages and would contain another 18 pages of footnotes. Would that I were presently in college putting together my Doctoral dissertation and had the fundage to do so. Alas, I must wring my bread from my sweat, so all I can do is call it as I see it. DC politicians are perhaps the worst of the breed nationwide, because they have an instinctive need (common to all politicians) to self-promote. And following the dictum that there is no such thing as "bad publicity", DC politicians regularly make horae's asses of themselves in public. Problem is, when they star mucking with basic rights i is not funny anymore.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Allexcabbie,

Perhaps you should chuck the college degree and get startedwriting your expose' of the DC shennanigans.

After all, Obama has already told the ASU graduating class that any attempts to strive for self-interest gratification using their education would not be tolerated.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Allexcabbie,

Perhaps you should chuck the college degree and get startedwriting your expose' of the DC shennanigans.

After all, Obama has already told the ASU graduating class that any attempts to strive for self-interest gratification using their education would not be tolerated.
EXPOSE'??? Surely you jest. One canot pull the pants off a naked man.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Allexcabbie,

EXPOSE'??? Surely you jest. One canot pull the pants off a naked man.

I hadn't thought of that. :banghead:

:lol:

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WheelGun wrote:
Hello.... hello..... this is Cass Sunstien.... Please shut down all this talk immediately, repeat immediately....
what is the problem WheelGun, and what is Cass Sunstien, is that your name, did someone say something wrong.