• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why guns shouldn't be permitted in restaurants

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Grapenuts is a true Southern Gentleman...... I sit at his feet. :D
Arise Sir Neplusultra and take your place at this noble round table. :D

And thank you for the kind words, sir.

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

Yata hey
The link to my knighthood does not work, I am trodden down. You did notice my spelling of your Grapeness, I hope :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

Yata hey
The link to my knighthood does not work, I am trodden down. You did notice my spelling of your Grapeness, I hope :D
Alas the link is not required to garner the benefits thereof that which has been bestowed upon you. For the honor is yours and rightfully so, to wear about your shoulders as a woven cloak for all to see and you to cherish. Care for it least it be soiled. Bring it honor and respect its title.

Sure did - appreciate recognition..........of any kind. :D

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Boy, you fellas have taken this thread in an interesting direction!

:D
It was a weak moment for which I am solely responsible.
Others likely responded unwittingly not realizing the impact it would have.
I disallow any knowledge of them, past or present. I have never meet them personally.
Further, I am as chastised I will ever be. Thank you for the redirect. :lol:

To the point: Guns should be allowed - period, exclamation mark. There I do feel better.

Now about that automatic sword.............

Yata hey

alnitak

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Accidental or negligent discharges injuring people vs total number of guns = an infinitesimal small per centage - something akin to .000001% or less.

There are recognized and accepted figures on the numbers of defensive uses of guns per year - numbering in the millions.
I'd be curious to see other statistics on the number of bar casualities from other means, e.g., knives, broken beer bottles, ...even car accidents within five miles of the bar. I bet these would far outweight the handful of incidents where guns were used by legally carrying citizens. (Of course, the instances references by the blogger where guns were used, may not represent legally carried guns by licensed citizens).

MSC 45ACP

imported post

AMEN to the "negligent discharge" definition. I ALWAYS harped about it being IMPOSSIBLE for the Beretta M9 (92 FS) to go off accidently. I taught everyone that ever handed one in my presenceabout ALL the safety features of the pistol. The hammer block keeps the hammer from striking the "2-part firing pin" without a deliberate pull of the trigger. You can whack the hammer with a hammer all day long until the sear broke, but the firing pin would NOT hit the primer unless the trigger were pulled...

UNTIL I heard about an "accidental discharge" (AD)at one of my units. I was charged with conducting the investigation and recommending action to the CO. I found the "offending M9" to be in such poor condiditon that the AD was not only possible, but very likely. it was so dirty that the firing pin block was stuck in the UP position. I recommended severe punishment for the person responsible for weapons maintenance and requested I be a witness at his Article 15, if that was the CO's decision.

There was an accidental discharge (one of very few I had heard about over 22 years), but there was negligence involved, too. Negligent maintenance; or better put: CRIMINAL negligence if you ask me...

Take care of your firearms and they will take care of you...