• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why guns shouldn't be permitted in restaurants

Big Chris

imported post

http://restaurantnewsandviews.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-guns-shouldnt-be-permitted-in.html
Why guns shouldn't be permitted in restaurants
As I've reported here and in my Fohboh blog, gun advocates contend that it's ridiculous to prohibit restaurant patrons from toting concealed weapons into a place that serves alcohol. In jurisdictions stretching from Virginia to Arizona, they're hell bent on changing the laws. Here are a few recent news developments that they may want to consider before resuming their crusade: A man displaying a gun in a restaurant accidentally fired it early Saturday morning, killing an acquaintance who was there with him, according to Phoenix police.--AZCentral.com A man who had a concealed-weapons permit accidentally fired his gun inside a Provo restaurant, hitting his chair. Police say they cited Ernest Fichler for discharging the weapon in city limits. They seized his 9 mm automatic pistol and turned in his license to carry a concealed weapon for state review.--Salt Lake City Tribune Last year, eight people were slain at bars or clubs in Orlando and unincorporated Orange County, often in disputes with people they barely knew. In one case from east Orange, the deadly brawl literally started over spilled beer and ended with gunfire.--OrlandoSentinel.com

kenny

imported post

You don't accidentally do anything. An accident is an event or series of events that result in an occurrence that could have been prevented. The word accident is only used to make the uneducated, thoughtless and reckless people fell better.

He was stupid and deserved what happened to him.

Shovelhead

imported post

AZCentral.com A man who had a concealed-weapons permit accidentally fired his gun inside a Provo restaurant, hitting his chair. Police say they cited Ernest Fichler for discharging the weapon in city limits. They seized his 9 mm automatic pistol and turned in his license to carry a concealed weapon for state review

Where do send the check so I can I get one of those Concealed automatic pistol permits? :celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Accidental or negligent discharges injuring people vs total number of guns = an infinitesimal small per centage - something akin to .000001% or less.

There are recognized and accepted figures on the numbers of defensive uses of guns per year - numbering in the millions.

Criminals do not obey laws - restricting them on paper does nothing to benefit/protect us.

There is a cure for ignorance but not for stupidity.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I'm shocked he actually printed my response... and it appears as the only one thus far.
Excellent post - I'm surprised too that it made it through.

Yata hey

tsannicolas

imported post

Shovelhead wrote:
AZCentral.com A man who had a concealed-weapons permit accidentally fired his gun inside a Provo restaurant, hitting his chair. Police say they cited Ernest Fichler for discharging the weapon in city limits. They seized his 9 mm automatic pistol and turned in his license to carry a concealed weapon for state review

Where do send the check so I can I get one of those Concealed automatic pistol permits? :celebrate
though, i'm probably giving the blogger more credit than is due; an automatic pistol can be in reference to a handgun that is not a revolver.

Neplusultra

imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
Shovelhead wrote:

though, i'm probably giving the blogger more credit than is due; an automatic pistol can be in reference to a handgun that is not a revolver.
Isn't a double action revolver just as "automatic" as an semi-automatic? Seems to me in order to be a manual pistol it would have to be single shot or single action....:D

This guy seems pretty up to "automatic" speed to me :^).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9ccsb1v6o

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Isn't a double action revolver just as "automatic" as an semi-automatic? Seems to me in order to be a manual pistol it would have to be single shot or single action....:D
Revolvers around the globe areoutraged at your insinuation that they are somehow in the same class as common semi-automatic pistols.

Meanwhile single-action revolvers everywhere smile smugly at the misfortune of the doubles.

:)

tsannicolas

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
Shovelhead wrote:

This guy seems pretty up to "automatic" speed to me :^).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9ccsb1v6o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_pistol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
My 1911 is very confused and may be in the need of long term, deep therapy even.
She has the need to understand herself and feel good about who she is.

You see she must come to terms with the fact she is an automatic (feed), a semi-automatic (one squeeze/one shot) and is manually (not automatically) operated. Adding to the confusion for her is the fact that she is single action but dual purpose.

Think I'll take her to the range (good therapy) - she always feels better after a shot or two (hundred). If she behaves, I'll even take it out to eat.

Bottom line - automatic or semi-auto works for me in private conversation. Publicly it is a semi-automatic pistol, not a full auto capable gun.

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
My 1911 is very confused and may be in the need of long term, deep therapy even.
She has the need to understand herself and feel good about who she is.

Snip

Yata hey
You two (Citizen) crack me up :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Revolvers around the globe areoutraged at your insinuation that they are somehow in the same class as common semi-automatic pistols.

Meanwhile single-action revolvers everywhere smile smugly at the misfortune of the doubles.

And long guns, even carbines, laugh and point like boys in a shower at the brevity of hand guns. Its downright humiliating even for the big bores. Imagine the chagrin for a .380 pocket pistol.

There is no one size fits all - whether pistol, wheel gun or long gun. :lol:

Always wanted to "stack arms" in a restaurant setting.

Yata hey

PS - Humor is an excellent way to make a point and it confuses the sheeple too.

Neplusultra

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

And long guns, even carbines, laugh and point like boys in a shower at the brevity of hand guns. Its downright humiliating even for the big bores. Imagine the chagrin for a .380 pocket pistol.
Thanks Grapeshot for reminding me of my first "public" shower in freshman high school gym class. I was ALMOST over it!!! :lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP My 1911 is very confused and may be in the need of long term, deep therapy even...

Think I'll take her to the range (good therapy) - she always feels better after a shot or two (hundred). If she behaves, I'll even take it out to eat.
Hmmmm.

As a concerned citizen, I'm afraid I have to question your qualifications to even owna gun.

Obviously, if her condition has descended into such a confusion, you have not been a good custodian. Things have gotten too far out of hand; and should never have gotten even half this far.

I'm afraid I'll have to demand you turn her over to someone like me who can provide the care and nurturingnecessary torebuild her confidence.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Thanks Grapeshot for reminding me of my first "public" shower in freshman high school gym class. I was ALMOST over it!!! :lol:
Seems just like yesterday doesn't it.

Don't sweat the small stuff.:uhoh: There are always bigger fish in the sea. :lol:

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP My 1911 is very confused and may be in the need of long term, deep therapy even...

Hmmmm.

As a concerned citizen, I'm afraid I have to question your qualifications to even owna gun.

Obviously, if her condition has descended into such a confusion, you have not been a good custodian. Things have gotten too far out of hand; and should never have gotten even half this far.

I'm afraid I'll have to demand you turn her over to someone like me who can provide the care and nurturingnecessary torebuild her confidence.
We have been certified by several state agencies and one national organization as meeting their standards.

Further, we have an established history of taking in foundlings such as her and allowing them to become productive members of our community.

She is well housed, feed and cared for and she is sincerely appreciated. Her health and well being is of paramount importance to us. All we really ask of her is that she gives her best shot.

What does bother me is that some will hear of her or see her picture (she is young but quite mature) and immediate try to gain control and take possession of this little darling for their own personal pleasure. I have a word for such people but will refrain from using it here. I would not recommend attempting to make further such contacts.

:lol::celebrate :lol:

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Hmmmm.

We have been certified by several state agencies and one national organization as meeting their standards.

Further, we have an established history of taking in foundlings such as her and allowing them to become productive members of our community.

She is well housed, feed and cared for and she is sincerely appreciated. Her health and well being is of paramount importance to us. All we really ask of her is that she gives her best shot.

What does bother me is that some will hear of her or see her picture (she is young but quite mature) and immediate try to gain control and take possession of this little darling for their own personal pleasure. I have a word for such people but will refrain from using it here. I would not recommend attempting to make further such contacts.

Yata hey
:D

Neplusultra

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Hmmmm.

Yata hey
:D
Grapenuts is a true Southern Gentleman...... I sit at his feet. :D