• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In need of Gunsmithing

jbone

imported post

Made an OC stop in the great outdoors to help my pal break in his new Ruger GP-100. I took my Wincherter mod 37A 20 Gauge, put a few slugs down range and noticed the bead mssing, closer look revealed a split from the missing bead to end of barrel.Can this be cut and recrowned, or maybe have an aftermarker adjustable installed. Thats why a need a good GunSmith. Had this gun since 1974, man I'mbummed. I live Arlington, so the closer the better!

Edit: I meant adjustable choke, as the second option over cut and recrowned.

Lowski

imported post

Try Stan Baker's Gun Shop in Lake City. A lot of their work deals with Shotguns. Very low key and old school shop. The employees have always been pleasent whenever I have stopped to look around.

Stan Baker's Gun Shop
11530 Lake City Way NE, Seattle,WA98125
206 522-4575

G27

imported post

I'm pretty sure one of our forum member is a gunsmith. Might wanna give a fellow OC'er some business first?

Edit: sirpuma is the person I was thinking about. :)

jbone

imported post

G27 wrote:
I'm pretty sure one of our forum member is a gunsmith. Might wanna give a fellow OC'er some business first?

Edit: sirpuma is the person I was thinking about. :)
Will send him a PM. Thanks.

Richard6218

imported post

You might try this website, with a national database of gunsmiths: http://www.gunsmiths.com

I have a Ruger Hawkeye pistol, a rare single-shot gun with an ever rarer chambering: .256 Winchester Magnum. It's missing a couple parts, and because they're not available any longer from Ruger, they will have to be reverse-engineered and fabricated. I found a guy named Clifford LaBounty in Maple Falls who is RETIRED and doesn't take a lot of new business but will do a few jobs that he wants to take on. His specialty was re-boring/re-chambering of rifles and revolvers.

Another is Mel Doyle at (360) 686-1006 in (?) Ferndale. This phone is a double phone/FAX number and he doesn't often answer, so leave a message.

<Edited for adding specialty>

sirpuma

imported post

The work you require takes not only special training but also special equipment. All I could do is trim off the end of the barrel and square it up. The best place to get a new after market choke installed is in Texas as is expensive. I can't think of their name right now, but can find it for you.

woodsman

imported post

I have a great gunsmith, Dave at Southridge Arms and Refinishing. His website is southridgearmsand refinishing.

jbone

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
The work you require takes not only special training but also special equipment. All I could do is trim off the end of the barrel and square it up. The best place to get a new after market choke installed is in Texas as is expensive. I can't think of their name right now, but can find it for you.
Thanks I ended up going with Larry Conley at Classic Precision Gunsmithing.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lowski wrote:
Try Stan Baker's Gun Shop in Lake City. A lot of their work deals with Shotguns. Very low key and old school shop. The employees have always been pleasent whenever I have stopped to look around.

Stan Baker's Gun Shop
11530 Lake City Way NE, Seattle,WA98125
206 522-4575
From what I read on other forums Stan Bakers is having problems actually finishing work and getting the guns returned to the owners. I could be wrong butI would definitely do a little research before using them for repairs.

tony d tiger

imported post

jborushko wrote:
try Bolle & Tammaro. Talk to Bill. (253) 531-2930

4040 So. Tyler St
Unit 1 A & B
Tacoma, WA 98409

the work i've done with him is fantastic.

bumped up...

Just dropped my .45 at this shop after talking w/ Bill Tammaro. Very impressive little shop.

woodsman

imported post

email Dave Neilsen at southridgearms.com. He is a great gunsmith and located in

Orting. Very fast turn around.

tony d tiger

imported post

NOTICE: This domain name expired on 04/04/2010 and is pending renewal or deletion

woodsman wrote:
email Dave Neilsen at southridgearms.com. He is a great gunsmith and located in

Orting. Very fast turn around.
Apparently so! :D

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

911Boss wrote:
I use Larry Conley at Classic Precision Gunsmithing. He is in Snohomish (Cathcart technically). Does good work at reasonale price.

http://www.yellowbot.com/classic-precision-gunsmithing-snohomish-wa.html

Thank you for posting this! I just got off the phone with Larry and he seems like a really nice guy. He lives less than 10 minutes from my house, and I've been looking for a good local gunsmith for awhile now.

Much appreciated.

Bill

Red Ryder

imported post

The closest I can get you is Grumpy's Gun Repair in Granite Falls. I've had him work on several of my guns with good result.