• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More Exhibit you should carry ALL the time

Sheriff

imported post

In the summertime when wearing very little in the way of clothing (shorts and shirt for all you perverts thinking the worse :D), I have a .380 Colt MKIV Series 80 that I wear around my neck on a chain. If you're familiar with this firearm, it has a small circle to put the chain through on the back of the hammer. It's somewhat heavy at first, but you get accustomed to real quick.

On a side note, I often wonder how much the little thing is worth now. I think I only paid $250 to $275 when I bought it brand new many years ago. It's never been fired, YET!

Neplusultra

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
In the summertime when wearing very little in the way of clothing (shorts and shirt for all you perverts thinking the worse :D ), I have a .380 Colt MKIV Series 80 that I wear around my neck on a chain. If you're familiar with this firearm, it has a small circle to put the chain through on the back of the hammer. It's somewhat heavy at first, but you get accustomed to real quick.

On a side note, I often wonder how much the little thing is worth now. I think I only paid $250 to $275 when I bought it brand new many years ago. It's never been fired, YET!
$900, or so says wikianswers. Of course no one will ever believe it's never been fired :^). I can't believe it. Shouldn't you at least shoot it once if you're going to carry it :^)?

found this article about jamming;

http://pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=28350

I had a "lot" of trouble with jams with my kel-tec .380. Winchester FN factories would jam the worst, fewer with my own reloads. After a few hundred rounds though it's loosened up and I just don't have a problem anymore. But I still don't shoot the Winchesters either. Speer HPs do well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
In the summertime when wearing very little in the way of clothing (shorts and shirt for all you perverts thinking the worse :D ), I have a .380 Colt MKIV Series 80 that I wear around my neck on a chain. If you're familiar with this firearm, it has a small circle to put the chain through on the back of the hammer. It's somewhat heavy at first, but you get accustomed to real quick.

Never been fired !! It might just be a fancy necklace. :shock:

I am not familiar with this particular gun but seems to be that a chain thru the hammer might potentially prevent a proper hammer strike.

Is this anything like wearing an albatross around your neck? :D

Yata hey

cREbralFIX

imported post

Just because you're carrying does NOT mean you will prevail. You may not even get the weapon out!

SouthNarc's ECQC course (www.shivworks.com) covers the 0-6 foot space very effectively. It includes tactics on handling contacts (with the "Be polite but have a plan to kill everyone you meet") to what to do in the FUT (fooq'd up tangle).

These things go at an accelerated rate of speed. It's really unbelieveable when you have a NON-COOPERATIVE opponent. Even if you have a gun out, what do you do when the guy says "Hey, I'm unarmed. You cannot shoot me" as he walks up to you? (shoot him). The problem is folks HESITATE, thinking about court, rather than fighting. When the guy is within six feet...his rush is faster than you can draw.

ground-shooting-retention2.jpg

Shooting from retention

2on1-3.jpg

FUT...this very well could have happened to this couple

2on1-2.jpg

Gray shirt closed in on brown shirt very fast

jam4.jpg

Lots of jammed guns from errant limbs...very easy to do!

It's VERY tough to clear a gun in a FUT. I tried several times and failed. I defaulted to whacking the FIST helmet with the gun or my fist.

mutualDeath.jpg

Mutual death when both guys have guns and they separate

Neplusultra

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:
snip.....
SouthNarc's ECQC course (http://www.shivworks.com) covers the 0-6 foot space very effectively. It includes tactics on handling contacts (with the "Be polite but have a plan to kill everyone you meet") to what to do in the FUT (fooq'd up tangle).
Fixed link for you - http://www.shivworks.com :)

Yata hey
No worky, try this:

http://www.shivworks.com/
How many OC posters does it take to get one link right?

I don't know but they'll keep on shooting 'til they hit it. :?

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

"I have a .380 Colt MKIV Series 80 that I wear around my neck on a chain.
It's never been fired, YET!"
:shock::shock::shock::?:banghead:

[line]

"I am not familiar with this particular gun."

Sure you are, it is almost the same thing you carry daily just a smaller caliber.

Neplusultra

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

Never been fired !! It might just be a fancy necklace. :shock:

Yata hey
Maybe he meant never been fired in self-defense?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Repeater wrote:
johnfenter wrote:
"They were not carrying identification, but authorities learned their identities by the man's fingerprints, which were on file because he owned a concealed weapon, Simpson said."

On file, WHERE?! Fingerprint cards are supposed to be returned or destroyed after the background check is successfully done for the permit. Did they access the FBI database, where a copy is no doubt permanently entered?

More proof that, once you are in the system, you can't get out.
As required by § 18.2-308(D):

All fingerprint cards not claimed by the applicant within 21 days of notification by the local agency shall be destroyed. All optically scanned fingerprints shall be destroyed upon completion of the criminal history records check without requiring that the applicant be notified. Fingerprints taken for the purposes described in this section shall not be copied, held or used for any other purposes.
The story needs pursuing.
When your fingerprints go to the FBI, they go into AFIS (also see Wiki article) and are never destroyed. While Virginia may destroy any copies of your prints you provide as required by the VA CHP statute, the FBI will always have them in AFIS and neither Virginia nor any other state can tell it to do otherwise.

Neplusultra

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Repeater wrote:
johnfenter wrote:
"They were not carrying identification, but authorities learned their identities by the man's fingerprints, which were on file because he owned a concealed weapon, Simpson said."

On file, WHERE?! Fingerprint cards are supposed to be returned or destroyed after the background check is successfully done for the permit. Did they access the FBI database, where a copy is no doubt permanently entered?

All fingerprint cards not claimed by the applicant within 21 days of notification by the local agency shall be destroyed. All optically scanned fingerprints shall be destroyed upon completion of the criminal history records check without requiring that the applicant be notified. Fingerprints taken for the purposes described in this section shall not be copied, held or used for any other purposes.
When your fingerprints go to the FBI, they go into AFIS (also see Wiki article) and are never destroyed. While Virginia may destroy any copies of your prints you provide as required by the VA CHP statute, the FBI will always have them in AFIS and neither Virginia nor any other state can tell it to do otherwise.
So the law is a lie?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
Repeater wrote:
johnfenter wrote:

So the law is a lie?
I would not say it's a lie inasmuch as I'm sure state and local agencies within Virginia comply with it and return or destroy a CHL applicant's fingerprints as it requires. However, the FBI does not purge any fingerprint records since it is not bound by Virginia state law, only federal law.

Neplusultra

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
I would not say it's a lie inasmuch as I'm sure state and local agencies within Virginia comply with it and return or destroy a CHL applicant's fingerprints as it requires. However, the FBI does not purge any fingerprint records since it is not bound by Virginia state law, only federal law.
So the state gave the FBI my fingerprints knowing that they would not be destroyed as per the LAW. So the law did not lie, just the politicians.

This should be addressed!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
So the state gave the FBI my fingerprints knowing that they would not be destroyed as per the LAW. So the law did not lie, just the politicians.

Planning on complaining to Warner, Webb or maybe to his Eminence ? :p

Yata hey

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
WVCDL wrote:

The best, er, only, option is to repeal local option fingerprinting entirely.

Sheriff

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I am not familiar with this particular gun but seems to be that a chain thru the hammer might potentially prevent a proper hammer strike.

Is this anything like wearing an albatross around your neck? :D

Yata hey

There's one on gunbroker right now with good pictures.

Good question, butthe chain will not prevent a proper hammer strike.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125457541

Sheriff

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
$900, or so says wikianswers. Of course no one will ever believe it's never been fired :^). I can't believe it. Shouldn't you at least shoot it once if you're going to carry it :^)?
That's pretty amazing! I would sell it for $750 right now.

I should put it on gunbroker!! :lol:

IanB

imported post

Help me out here guys...

Saw on the news this morningthere is some gang graffiti in the area where the couple was attacked. I don't have a screen shot of the markings, but it looked like the letters "SCL" followed by several dots and then the letter "X". I have looked high and low to find out which gang this may be without any success.

I have only been able to find the blanket statement "There are 12 known active gangs in Loudon County". Anyone know which gangs are active, who are the biggest, most active, etc in Loudon? The dots are used by Latino gangs, so that's where my search has been focused.