• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording audio with your iPhone

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I was going to create an iPhone app that required a pass code to stop recording incase my iphone was taken from me by LEO's. People have reported that they have had the cops take their recorder and press the stop button.

Well apparently I don't need to create it, with a free app and some settings changes this is possible.

EDIT: the latest iphone software comes with a voice recorder, ignore step 1.

Step 1: Download QuickVoice http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284675296&mt=8
and sync the app to your iPhone

Step 2: On the phone go to Settings/General/Passcode Lock. Set a passcode, and require the passcode to activate "Immediately".

Step 3: If you don't want an incoming call to kill the app, then put the phone in "Airplane Mode". It's going to suck not being able to receive call but better that than not have a LEO encounter recorded. Think of this as a back-up for when your batteries die in your recorder or you get somewhere and realize you forgot your voice recorder. :)

Last step: Launch voice recorder on your phone and then lock the screen by tapping the power button once. It will continue to record and can't be stopped unless the code is entered or the phone is turned off. Lets hope the officer doesn't think to turn of your phone.

bad_ace

imported post

Bump. After watching Pullnshoot25 and Elsensei's videos on youtube. I decided to pull this one back up for the iPhone users in the group.

Elsensei's advice is to use your iPhone as a backup recorder and set a passcode lock on. Currently an incoming call will stop the audio recording (audio routing issue in the phone) so it should only be a backup solution.

Setting the phone in "Airplane Mode" will make it a more permanent audio recording solution.

Link to there video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJy8...FA7E9CB&index=12&playnext=13&playnext_from=PL

nukechaser

imported post

Hi all! I do not have an iPhone, but I thought I'd toss this out there.

It was mentioned before, by whom I cannot recall at the moment, to try Qik. It is FREE and works with a plethora of phones. I use it with my Moto Q Smartphone.

Essentially, it is a live broadcast app. It has both audio and video and has a couple of features that I really like.

It allows the stream to be live. The down side to this is battery, since you are "on the air" while streaming to the web. I have a big bad battery for mine, so I can get quite a bit of recording done.

Should you walk out of range of a cell, the recording continues until coverage returns, using available phone RAM to do so. If you have a 2GB mini-SD card you can have quite the buffer to fill before it auto-resumes the stream.

Once running, just minimize the app, lock your password-protected keyboard and no one knows you are streaming video and audio.

Check it out at www.qik.com

bad_ace

bad_ace

imported post

Additionally. With a digital recorder there are methods of "undeleting" files if anyone does you a "favor" and deletes the audio for you.