• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts from the new guy

Tippet

imported post

Greetings everyone, and thanks for the great resource.

I'm glad I found you here, but at the same time I'm conflicted.

It burns me to a crisp that I can't get a ccp in San Diego, because I have everywhere else I've ever lived (Oregon, Washington, Idaho).

I like the idea of what you're doing, but the problem I see is people generally freak out when they see a gun. I'll happily take part in events, now that I know about the organization, but I'm concerned the trouble I'd run into just going through my normal daily routine, carrying open.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what people here think are the goals we should be striving for, and any info to help me get started.

Sounds like you have a game plan worked out including having a voice recorder onhand, so someone please point me to the beginenrs threads!

Thanks, -T

Edward Peruta

imported post

Consider this:

ToCarry a Concealed loaded firearm in the State of California

Minimum age requirement

Good cause to carry concealed

Residency in California

Residency in a particular community or county

Three letters of reference from local individuals

Fees

Detailed muli page initial application

Wait period between appointments

Approximately 2 hours of personal time to be interviewed

Fingerprints

Criminal background check

16 Hours or less of APPROVED training regardless of any other training

Proficiency/Marksmanship qualification 15 rounds minimum per weapon

Proficiency with eachweapon to be carried

115 rounds of personally purchased ammunition in one weapon situations

Successfully passing a written test

To carry an ANY exposed unloaded firearm and ammunition in the State of California

Minimum age requirement

No federal or state disqualifying factors

suntzu

imported post

Tippet wrote:
Greetings everyone, and thanks for the great resource.

I'm glad I found you here, but at the same time I'm conflicted.

It burns me to a crisp that I can't get a ccp in San Diego, because I have everywhere else I've ever lived (Oregon, Washington, Idaho).

I like the idea of what you're doing, but the problem I see is people generally freak out when they see a gun. I'll happily take part in events, now that I know about the organization, but I'm concerned the trouble I'd run into just going through my normal daily routine, carrying open.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what people here think are the goals we should be striving for, and any info to help me get started.

Sounds like you have a game plan worked out including having a voice recorder onhand, so someone please point me to the beginenrs threads!

Thanks, -T
get a good lawyer who will be willing to sue in federal court for you when your rights are violated. Learn the laws, where you can and cannot carry, and what the limits of the police are-what they can and cannot do when they stop you.

Get it all on tape when at all possible for your protection.

The goals? IMO: To get people to understand that the people have a right to keep and bear arms, and that a citizen with a gun is not a threat to anyone except the criminals.

just my thoughts.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Tippet wrote:
...I like the idea of what you're doing, but the problem I see is people generally freak out when they see a gun.
Welcome to the forum.

Rule #1: When making a claim, provide evidence.

What evidence leads you to believe that people "generally freak out" at the sight of a gun?

I've carried in public somewhere around 100 times since July of 2007. I've never once seen someone become terrified and flee.

The fact is that we have not experienced panic in any of our outings. I think you'd be hard pressed to find one story on this forum where someone panicked.

Even if they did, I think it would be even more reason to carry. We'd be doing a public service by helping people confront their irrational fear of guns (aka hoplophobia).

Again, welcome to the forum. I hope you learn to question the garbage placed in your head by Hollywood movies, the news, and the public education system.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tippet wrote:
SNIPI like the idea of what you're doing, but the problem I see is people generally freak out when they see a gun.
Welcome to the forum!

I've had far more positive encounters with fellow citizens than negative. I can still pretty much count the negativeencounters on one hand. I lost track long ago of the positive ones. Far too many to keep track of.

That's not to say you won't occasionally run into an idiot citizen or cop. Its happened to me, too. So, you do have to learn the law, learn your rights, and be ready for a negative encounter.

Regarding cops, you have to weigh the risks.

Regarding breathlessly terrified citizens, as another member of the forum put it, "They'll just have to get used to it." Its your right--and theirs! Its not your problem if they gave it up bygulping down the anti-gun propaganda without skepticism. There is just no way you are responsible for whatever ideas they have adopted for themselves such that they activate their own fear at the sight of your peacefully holstered handgun.

demnogis

imported post

Welcome to OCDO Tippet. It's good to have another [potential] OCer here. Please update your info to show what city (or county) you're in.

You can start by going to www.californiaopencarry.org and printing out a copy of the penal code flier and the tri-fold pamphlet. If you're carrying, these are good to keep with you.

Read the CA Penal codes. Namely secions 12025, 12026, 12031, 626.x

Those are the most applicable.

A comment about your concern... In my experience carrying in the past few months, I have not received any negative feedback from other civilians while carrying. I've only had 2 negative interactions with LEAs and 2 positive interactions with LEAs. So far those are the only people to respond negatively. I have had many positive interactions with people that left the conversation a bit more knowledgable on the subject.

Inform yourself, protect yourself, and carry on!

Tippet

imported post

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I understand the laws. I guess tomorrow I'll try an experimental venture out with my unloaded kimber on my right hip and a couple full mags on my left. Don't have a voice recorder handy though.

Last month I saw a guy at my local 7-11, he was looking quiteserious with a goodtactical gearand clothing- plus a beard and pony-tail. I didn't notice if there was a mag in the gun.He was hanging out reading the paper, kinda hovering near the door. At the time I assumed hewas a cop.

I just got my coffee and moved on, forgot about it. It was right around the time I of the recent demonstrations at Mission Beach here in San Diego, as I later found out, so nowI figure he was an open carry brother. There were other people in the store and no one seemed the least concerned. I think they all must have assumed he was a cop, or that he'd been in there often enough the employees had already gotten used to the idea.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Tippet wrote:
There were other people in the store and no one seemed the least concerned. I think they all must have assumed he was a cop, or that he'd been in there often enough the employees had already gotten used to the idea.

Welcome to the board.

The quoted observation is pretty typical- even in anti-gun California. There's still a chance that someone may call the police though- and that is where getting people used to the idea comes in...

cato

imported post

Tippet wrote:
I guess tomorrow I'll try an experimental venture out with my unloaded kimber on my right hip and a couple full mags on my left. Don't have a voice recorder handy though.

:shock:
Take your time and do it right. Recorder, brochures, friendly witnesses, and knowledge.

Read everything, that's read everything!, over at californiaopencarry.org including the LEO contacts. And read and understand the penal code by actually reading and understanding the PC not just our "cliff notes".

Be safe and Carry On! :cool:

artwork by oleg volk:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Tippet wrote:
All right Cato I'll take your advice and plan my inaugural open-carry accordingly.
In SD, there is almost NO excuse to be carrying solo. You guys don't know how good you got it to have such a large group of supporters and fellow activists there.

That said, I encourage the cautious exercise of your rights. If you want to prove a point, arrange a group meet (like 4+ people). If you just want to have your SD tool handy, please consider "poor man CCW" (aka LUCC - Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry) as an alternative to UOC.

Tippet

imported post

I carry locked unloaded concealed all the time. MyKimber,cable-locked in the case in came in, no mag, with a padlock on the case. Same as when I take it on the airplane. In my car it goes in the trunk, on foot it's in my knapsack. Full mag of hollow-points in my pocket.

Not much use for quick access, but better than having it at home.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Tippet wrote:
I carry locked unloaded concealed all the time. MyKimber,cable-locked in the case in came in, no mag, with a padlock on the case. Same as when I take it on the airplane. In my car it goes in the trunk, on foot it's in my knapsack. Full mag of hollow-points in my pocket.

Not much use for quick access, but better than having it at home.

Just a note... DON'T carry a full mag in your pocket. Big no-no. Not illegal (as far as I know) but can be construed as illegally carried a concealed weapon because the mag is, in fact, part of the gun. Stupid, I know. Carry it in a mag pouch on your belt. Just to make sure you're completely in the clear.

A speedloader is different, because it's not a part of the gun. THOSE can be carried in your pocket, no problem.

Remember, just be careful.

Tippet

imported post

eesh, I'd forgotten that, I read that a couple days ago. What about foregoing the cable lock and keeping an empty mag seated, or using a trigger-lock? The lock on the case alone ought tosatisfy the statute. Then I could keep the full mag in my pocket, out of sight and unlikely to attract attention.

For now I want to continue carrying legally without attracting attention, at least until I can afford a suitable recording device.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Tippet wrote:
eesh, I'd forgotten that, I read that a couple days ago. What about foregoing the cable lock and keeping an empty mag seated, or using a trigger-lock? The lock on the case alone ought tosatisfy the statute. Then I could keep the full mag in my pocket, out of sight and unlikely to attract attention.

For now I want to continue carrying legally without attracting attention, at least until I can afford a suitable recording device.

Not quite sure what you mean.... ummm.... my advice is: either carry openly and unloaded (you can even keep an empty mag in the gun if you wish) and have a loaded clip in a mag pouch on your belt, or keep the gun locked upa case and keep your loaded mag either on your belt or in the case with the gun. But I wouldn't, in any case, put the loaded mag in my pocket. Concealed part of a weapon and all that nonsense.

And if you're looking for a cheap recorder, they have 'em at RadioShack for 25 bucks or so.... the ones that take the little tape cassette thingie. I got one for my little brother a year ago, they're pretty good quality.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

Tippet wrote:
My understanding is, if there's an empty mag in the gun, then the spare full mag can't be construed as part of the gun.
Hmm... good point. "CATO!!!" (yells for Cato.... much shouting and swearing....) Dangit. He's not home at the moment. Maybe when he gets back he can help us out in this little conundrum.

prcE6

imported post

While that's good logical thinking, it hasn't been challenged (thus not proven to be true in the eyes of Johnny Law). Better safe than sorry at this point.

Just my advice...