• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HOGLE ZOO <- OCDO/UCC Get together 25-April-2009

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

rpyne wrote:
Ruger Collector wrote:
Update: We're sticking with the 25th.
Has anyone heard from Mark Shurtleff, Mitch Vilos or Clark Aposhian on the private/public property issue with the zoo?

I don't see what the issue is. If they receive public money (which I think is clearly established byhttps://www.hoglezoo.org/donations_sponsors/zoo_partners/and https://www.hoglezoo.org/about/zoo_history/), then they have to follow state law.The fact thatthe University of Utah receives some private donations didn't make them exempt from the law, as the Supreme Court ruled, and the same logic applies to the zoo.

rpyne

imported post

SecondAmendmentStudents wrote:
rpyne wrote:
Ruger Collector wrote:
Update: We're sticking with the 25th.
Has anyone heard from Mark Shurtleff, Mitch Vilos or Clark Aposhian on the private/public property issue with the zoo?

I don't see what the issue is. If they receive public money (which I think is clearly established byhttps://www.hoglezoo.org/donations_sponsors/zoo_partners/and https://www.hoglezoo.org/about/zoo_history/), then they have to follow state law.The fact thatthe University of Utah receives some private donations didn't make them exempt from the law, as the Supreme Court ruled, and the same logic applies to the zoo.
Have you read the thread at:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/23424.html

The issue is how much of a disturbance we want to create. The manager has indicated that he doesn't think it is public property even though we know it is. Having an opinion statement from the AG, a state official, or an attorney could prove helpful.

We may want to meet up somewhere and stay as a group while in the zoo to avoid being hassled.

Ruger Collector

imported post

I suggest we park/meet up across the street at the this is the place monument at about 10:00.

The weather will dictate whether I open or conceal carry, since it may be cool early in the day and warm later I may conceal going in and "take my jacket off" sometime inside the Zoo.

Kevin: Where did you get those toy guns your kids often wear to events? I'm tempted to get some for my kids to wear this day. :D Nothing too realistic of course...

rpyne

imported post

Ruger Collector wrote:
Kevin: Where did you get those toy guns your kids often wear to events? I'm tempted to get some for my kids to wear this day. :D Nothing too realistic of course...
I'm not Kevin, but I have bought some nice toy guns for my grandkids at Walmart and at Smith & Edwards.

rpyne

imported post

Ruger Collector wrote:
I suggest we park/meet up across the street at the this is the place monument at about 10:00.
That sounds good to me even though I'm lazy and like to park as close as I can get. :D

rpyne

imported post

From the Hogle Zoo rules on their web site:

For the health and safety for our animals and guests, we do not allow the following items inside the Zoo:
  1. Balloons of any kind
  2. Segways or similar motorized vehicles (unless for medical reasons. Guests should contact Guest Services or Security for approval.) Motorized wheelchairs are OK.
  3. Bicycles (except for Zoo Security officers)
  4. Tricycles (or similar such item that is powered by someone sitting on it)
  5. Heely shoes, in-line skates, or roller-skates.
  6. Skateboards
  7. Scooters of any kind
  8. Water guns or water balloons (water spray bottles are only allowed on hot days)
  9. No weapons allowed except as authorized by law.
  10. Glass containers
  11. Alcoholic beverages
  12. Laser pointers
  13. Gas grills or charcoal barbecues
  14. Stickers or confetti
  15. Any other item deemed unsafe by Utah’s Hogle Zoo security
Revised 4-8-2008

I know it's semantics, but Open Carry is not authorized by law, just not prohibited. They either need to change the rule to specify "no illegal weapons" or remove the rule completely.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

So at 1000 on the 25th parking at this is the Place Monument. I plan on inviting Mark Shurtluff to the event. Just want to confirm so I can send out the invite

rpyne

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
So at 1000 on the 25th parking at this is the Place Monument. I plan on inviting Mark Shurtluff to the event. Just want to confirm so I can send out the invite
As I understand it, not actually at the monument, at the lower parking lot which is just across the street from the zoo.

I tried to embed the map, but it didn't work. Here is a link to a google map showing the parking lot location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=40.751420,+-111.813719&sll=40.751451,-111.813548&sspn=0.004064,0.007532&ie=UTF8&ll=40.751776,-111.813762&spn=0.004064,0.007532&t=h&z=17

The parking lot being referenced is across Sunnyside Ave from the zoo.

Note: This lot cannot be entered from Sunnyside Ave, it has to be entered from Crestwoord Dr.

Edit: added note about lot access.

goosemama

imported post

I don't know if anyone noticed, but that's the day of the Ladies Shoot. I would love to go, but I'm going to shoot my gun instead.

Just a suggestion, someone should make sure that they bring the Utah code and have it handy as well as a printed copy of the zoo regulations. Could make all the difference in the world if the group is confronted by a zoo official and/or LEO.

Ruger Collector

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
I plan on inviting Mark Shurtluff to the event. Just want to confirm so I can send out the invite

That's a great idea! Maybe somebody who knows Mitch Vilos and Clark Aposian could invite them as well??

ScottyT

imported post

Dang. Just found out I won't be able to make it. I already committed to attend the End the Fed rally. I will still be OCing, of course...

Maybe I will be able to hit the next one.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The End the Fed rally doesn't start until 2 PM if I remember correctly.

You could go to the zoo in the morning, and the rally in the afternoon!

Francis Marion

imported post

rpyne wrote:
I know it's semantics, but Open Carry is not authorized by law, just not prohibited. They either need to change the rule to specify "no illegal weapons" or remove the rule completely.
From the Utah Constitution Article I
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font]
Sec. 26. [Provisions mandatory and prohibitory.] The provisions of this Constitution are mandatory and prohibitory, unless by express words they are declared to be otherwise.
Which means, if it's not specifically prohibited then it's legal, or this section authorizes me to do anything not expressly prohibited by law.
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font]

Bushidonate

imported post

Hello all,

I'm new to the site. Just spent 4 hours reading through some of the posts, All very good information. Thanks to all of you for all of your research. If at all possible I'll be at the zoo with you. I'm going to try and drag a few friends with me.They will be OC as well.

Are there any other events coming up in Utah?

thx997303

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

We post about the get togethers when they come around.

I think this one is the only one this month. just keep watch.

rpyne

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
So 10 oclock for sure correct on the 25th want to be sure so I can send out invites
Yes. The actual meet up location is across the street from the zoo.

I tried to embed the map, but it didn't work. Here is a link to a google map showing the parking lot location:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=40.751420,+-111.813719&sll=40.751451,-111.813548&sspn=0.004064,0.007532&ie=UTF8&ll=40.751776,-111.813762&spn=0.004064,0.007532&t=h&z=17

The parking lot being referenced is across Sunnyside Ave from the zoo.

Note: This lot cannot be entered from Sunnyside Ave, it has to be entered from Crestwoord Dr.