• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a Restaurant

partemisio

imported post

Unfortunately, owning a gun is basically the same as being able to drive, more of a privilege than a right. The only real difference being you can use the gun when you are too young to buy it.

Being tired is not the same thing I am talking about. A person that is tired won't get pissed off any more easily than when they are fully awake. I have seen drunk people get pissed off for the simplest things and get in a fight over it.

I understand what you are saying about it being illegal to do certain things. But simply making a harsher penalty would not be the right thing to do. Alcohol will cause more people to do those things. Something that is obviously a huge threat to others safety should not be allowed. Being drunk and driving does not in and of itself hurt anyone or violate anyone's rights, but we all know it will hurt somebody. Should having a blood alcohol content of .30 and driving be allowed? I sure don't think so for obvious reasons. It is the same with a gun. Cars and guns can both be dangerous weapons. mixing alcohol with them surely will make them dangerous weapons. Having a glass of wine is fine, that won't mess up your judgment of whether you should use your firearm or not. Being over the legal limit (for driving) is too much to have in your system while carrying.

Swampbeast

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Here's what I'm getting at guys. Hurting, shooting, and killing people are already illegal acts. If a person hurts, shoots, or kills someone while drinking, there's already a law for them to be punished under. If you want to make that punishment more severe if alcohol is involved, go for it. The bottom line is that being drunk and having a firearm nearby does not in and of itself hurt anyone or violate anyone's rights. Is it a bad idea? Probably. Is it MY decision to make, and not the government's? Absolutely.
Amen to that. We don't need the government dictating common sense to us...besides there are already public drunkeness laws that they could use if one were to walk around drunk with or withouta gun.

Landric

imported post

NC General Statute that covers weapons in places that serve alcohol:

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

It is not legal to carry a weapon into such a place, openly or concealed. Having someone who can legally carry said weapon into the establishment and then hand it to you might actually be legal, so long as it was not concealed within the meaning of the law. I wouldn't want to be the test case though.

I have a friend that owns a bar in Chapel Hill. He can (and does) legally carry there because he is the owner of the establishment. Those exempted from GS-14-269 can also carry in such establishments. That would include CHP holders if the CHP legislation didn't specifically prohibit it. Most of the other statutes that exempt folks of one kind or another from weapons laws specifically note GS 14-269(b) which is mostly law enforcement officers, active duty folks on deployment, etc.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Landric wrote:

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

It is not legal to carry a weapon into such a place, openly or concealed. Having someone who can legally carry said weapon into the establishment and then hand it to you might actually be legal, so long as it was not concealed within the meaning of the law. I wouldn't want to be the test case though.

I have a friend that owns a bar in Chapel Hill. He can (and does) legally carry there because he is the owner of the establishment. Those exempted from GS-14-269 can also carry in such establishments. That would include CHP holders if the CHP legislation didn't specifically prohibit it. Most of the other statutes that exempt folks of one kind or another from weapons laws specifically note GS 14-269(b) which is mostly law enforcement officers, active duty folks on deployment, etc.
Been waitin for somebody to eventually post this.

Well done Landric.

Ratt402

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Here's what I'm getting at guys. Hurting, shooting, and killing people are already illegal acts. If a person hurts, shoots, or kills someone while drinking, there's already a law for them to be punished under. If you want to make that punishment more severe if alcohol is involved, go for it. The bottom line is that being drunk and having a firearm nearby does not in and of itself hurt anyone or violate anyone's rights. Is it a bad idea? Probably. Is it MY decision to make, and not the government's? Absolutely.

I agree it it YOUR decision to make, but it is also YOUR decision to act responsible and smart. Like with driving a car and when we first get our license to drive and drivers ed is being taught, were we not told that it was up to us to act responsible as our actions may hurt others unnecessarily? There is a difference between a legal right and a morale right. We may have the right to go down a neighborhood in the middle of the main streetthat has a majority type of ethnic/race/whatever living there and yell out remarks against those living there at the top of our lungs.Is that the right thing to do? I mean, we have the right, but is it a smart thing to do or a mature thing to do?

Those of us who decide to carry be itOC or CC, take the responsibility of one, acting with maturity,being responsible, and realize we are in the lime-light whether we want it or not, especially if we OC, and mostly, have to use common sense. There are alot more things I could list, but you get the picture. Now, please don't take this as some kind of preaching, but you did ask and I do believe you have good intentions and yes, you do have the right..........for right now. All it would take is just one time for something bad to happen while someone OC and there was alcohol involved, like someone using a gun in self defense and his aim was off(due to drinking)and shot an innocent bystander.

All I am saying is having a drink before heading out, or one with dinner should not raise an eyebrow a bit, but sitting in a bar drinking for the purpose of drinking with a gun on your hip will raise alot of eyebrows and might cause alot of bad light for everyone else. Just use good judgement is all I am saying.

Semper Fi

Adam H

imported post

Landric wrote:
CHP holders aren't exempted from 14-269. 14-269 says that concealed carry is illegal. Section A1 list the circumstances in which it is legal to carry a concealed handgun. Section B exempts certain people from the entire statute. Those people can carry any type of weapon concealed.

ocgso

imported post

Landric wrote:

I wonder if joe blow could get away with carrying a gun in his favorite eating establishment if he had permission of the owner (see # 3).

If that was the case, somelocally owned casualrestaurants could make a killing by allowing folks to OC there.....

Thoughts??

ocgso

imported post

partemisio wrote:
Unfortunately, owning a gun is basically the same as being able to drive, more of a privilege than a right. The only real difference being you can use the gun when you are too young to buy it.

Are you serious??

Owning a gun is a right.

Driving a car is a priviledge.

Read your constitution, and all of the amendments to it.

I will agree that at some point too much alcohol in your blood stream while carrying a firearm is a bad idea, BUT, I do not believe the government needs to try and regulate it.