• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about leaving pistol in a car

forewarned7

imported post

Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum, looks like a cool bunch here.

I just got a Glock model 22 at the Roanoke gunshow Saturday. Love it, but can't get a concealed permit as I'm only 20.

I've of course been reading up on every bit of open cary law I can find for the last few days, and I have one question I can't seem to find a firm answer for anywhere I've looked (including here).

Is it legal to leave my loaded gun in the car (well out of sight) when I stop to go into some place where I'm not allowed to carry (e.g. private property where it's posted)? I know I'm required to keep it visible (aka dashboard or passenger seat) while I'm driving, but once I'm out of the car I'm not technically 'possessing' it anymore, right?

Thanks,
Anthony

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

forewarned7 wrote:
Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum, looks like a cool bunch here.

I just got a Glock model 22 at the Roanoke gunshow Saturday. Love it, but can't get a concealed permit as I'm only 20.

I've of course been reading up on every bit of open cary law I can find for the last few days, and I have one question I can't seem to find a firm answer for anywhere I've looked (including here).

Is it legal to leave my loaded gun in the car (well out of sight) when I stop to go into some place where I'm not allowed to carry (e.g. private property where it's posted)? I know I'm required to keep it visible (aka dashboard or passenger seat) while I'm driving, but once I'm out of the car I'm not technically 'possessing' it anymore, right?

Thanks,
Anthony
Welcome aboard and to the movement.

You may OC on your hip in your car in Va. On the seat or dash will make it a missile in hard braking or cornering. Many of us will not spend our money in posted establishments - but that is a personal choice. It surely does avoid the issue of "storing" though.

One place to store is unloaded in the trunk but there are always is the problem of someone seeing you handle your gun - it excites some people and lets a criminal know where to look. Best place is in a secure, bolted to the floor lock box out of sight - no that is not considered in your possession nor concealing.

There are many your age and younger here - you are not the Lone Ranger. I'm sure that some will chime in shortly.

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

forewarned7 wrote:
but once I'm out of the car I'm not technically 'possessing' it anymore, right?

Thanks,
Anthony

Anthony,

Welcome! You are correct. If you need to exit the vehicle, place the gun in the locked glove compartment (for example) and immediately exit the vehicle. Once you are outside the vehicle, the gun is in storage and is not "in your possession, on or about your person".

I personally dont like exiting and storing it in the truck, as Grapeshot said - too many prying eyes.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
forewarned7 wrote:
but once I'm out of the car I'm not technically 'possessing' it anymore, right?

Thanks,
Anthony

I personally dont like exiting and storing it in the truck, as Grapeshot said - too many prying eyes.
I feel the same way. I think that I will probably buy a lock box so that I am not worried about leaving it when I go in places.:uhoh:

hunter45

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Welcome! You are correct. If you need to exit the vehicle, place the gun in the locked glove compartment (for example) and immediately exit the vehicle. Once you are outside the vehicle, the gun is in storage and is not "in your possession, on or about your person".

Does the gun have to be unloaded when stored in the glove compartment or center console while I am not in the vehicle?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Does the gun have to be unloaded when stored in the glove compartment or center console while I am not in the vehicle?
Stored in locked glove compartment is OK if you are in or out of the vehicle.
Console storage is legal if you are out of vehicle but not if you are in vehicle and do not have a CHP - it is accessible to you and therefore concealed then.

Personally I don't like either 'cause those are the first places a BG will look.

Yata hey

Spectre

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Best place is in a secure, bolted to the floor lock box out of sight - no that is not considered in your possession nor concealing.

Preferably with it bolted above the gas tank. The only way to get one of those out is with a torch, and they'll get a nasty surprise if they try to steal your gun with that set up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
It does not need to be unloaded.
I know this is the Va. section but just to clarify - different states have different laws. Always check and know the laws of any other state in which you might be traveling.

Going to Pa. this week-end and I will either avoid Maryland or unload and lock 'em up before crossing the line.

Yata hey

Dragonfly

imported post

I just bought me a “Schlage” 5ft x ½ in. cable lock from Lowes. Works great since I don’t have a trunk on my Colorado. When unlocked the locking bolt fits through the trigger guard and locks the gun to the rear seat support.

forewarned7

imported post

I've been watching the replies to this, and they've been very helpful. Thanks a bunch everybody.

Grapeshot, do you have any sources you can give me as to OCing on my hip in a car? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to be able to solidly prove it to anybody I need to before I try it.

Thanks again.

nova

imported post

Dragonfly wrote:
I just bought me a “Schlage” 5ft x ½ in. cable lock from Lowes. Works great since I don’t have a trunk on my Colorado. When unlocked the locking bolt fits through the trigger guard and locks the gun to the rear seat support.
hopefully with the gun unloaded of course :)

I solved this problem myself by simply not leaving it in my vehicle. If I can't carry where I'm going, I don't go there.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

forewarned7 wrote:
I've been watching the replies to this, and they've been very helpful. Thanks a bunch everybody.

Grapeshot, do you have any sources you can give me as to OCing on my hip in a car? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to be able to solidly prove it to anybody I need to before I try it.

Thanks again.

There are no resources, because there's no law that says OC is ok to do. Is the gun concealed when on your hip? No. Is the gun concealed if you are sitting in a restaurant booth and are facing the wall? No.

You have not done anything to alter how the gun itself is being carried. Your temporary seated position doesnt alter how the gun is being carried.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
forewarned7 wrote:

Thanks again.

There are no resources, because there's no law that says OC is ok to do. Is the gun concealed when on your hip? No. Is the gun concealed if you are sitting in a restaurant booth and are facing the wall? No.

You have not done anything to alter how the gun itself is being carried. Your temporary seated position doesnt alter how the gun is being carried.
There is also no law making OC illegal - the absence of such a law leaves that right intact with but a few conditions: at least18yo, not a felon, no domestic violence and no limiting mental condition.

In Va. how you are carrying (visibly = OC) not the position of the viewer nor your surroundings determines legality. In the middle of the sidewalk, in a restaurant booth, in your vehicle or in a glass phone booth are all the same.

Yata hey

forewarned7

imported post

hehe good points. I wasn't so much asking for a specific law as just any kind of examples in either legal cases or just times you've spoken to LE and had that supported.

If not, that's fine, I was just wondering.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

forewarned7 wrote:
hehe good points. I wasn't so much asking for a specific law as just any kind of examples in either legal cases or just times you've spoken to LE and had that supported.

What I think is being overlooked is that when there is nothing in the law to cover a certain point, while you would think it is therefore legal, the absence ofstatutory regulation orcourt opinionalso means its open to interpretation and/or misinterpretation by police.

Meaning a cop could arrest you for CC for in-car hip-OC that wasn't visible to him if he decided to take a hard line and take the law to places it was never really intended to go.Maybe he knows its iffy; but decides to let you spend the money defending against it and maybe getting convicted depending on the judge. Then having to spend money on an appeal. Maybe he really believes it is illegal.

I'm in the "take no unnecessary chances" camp on this particular in-car point. Mainly because it seems to me too easy for anti-gun cop to abuse.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
forewarned7 wrote:

What I think is being overlooked is that when there is nothing in the law to cover a certain point, while you would think it is therefore legal, the absence ofstatutory regulation orcourt opinionalso means its open to interpretation and/or misinterpretation by police.

Meaning a cop could arrest you for CC for in-car hip-OC that wasn't visible to him if he decided to take a hard line and take the law to places it was never really intended to go.Maybe he knows its iffy; but decides to let you spend the money defending against it and maybe getting convicted depending on the judge. Then having to spend money on an appeal. Maybe he really believes it is illegal.

I'm in the "take no unnecessary chances" camp on this particular in-car point. Mainly because it seems to me too easy for anti-gun cop to abuse.
And you therefore always face your strong side to LEOs, never let a solid object come between yourself and another person? Do you rotate on the stool at the lunch counter so as to give all an equal view?

Hey, I'm sorry Citizen. I lost control there for a minute. What you say may be true and I might be arrested for anything at anytime. Woops there I go again. Sorry. :?

Boy am I going to pay for that. PBIH ! :uhoh:

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP And you therefore always face your strong side to LEOs, never let a solid object come between yourself and another person? Do you rotate on the stool at the lunch counter so as to give all an equal view?

Hey, I'm sorry Citizen. I lost control there for a minute. What you say may be true and I might be arrested for anything at anytime. Woops there I go again. Sorry. :?

Boy am I going to pay for that. PBIH ! :uhoh:

Yata hey

Uh, huh. I've learned not to mess with you!!

Don't forget that some cops are real funny about guns in cars.

Restaurant? I don't really see it coming up. I'm not getting pulled over for putting ice-cream on Key Lime pie.

Lunch counter? Not really. Unless its a misdemeanor for ogling pretty waitresses.

But traffic stops? That's a situation where you are being stopped for an offense. A situation where [insert all the "traffic stops are dangerous; don't know who might be stopping" reports here].

If I were going to OC in my car, there would be a holster securely mounted in plain view from driver's and front passenger windows. Securely mounted, yet easily removed so I don't have to leave the empty holster and its message when I park the car. The holster being so the gun doesn't fly during emergency crash avoidance manuvers or a collision.