• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about leaving pistol in a car

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP And you therefore always face your strong side to LEOs, never let a solid object come between yourself and another person? Do you rotate on the stool at the lunch counter so as to give all an equal view?

Hey, I'm sorry Citizen. I lost control there for a minute. What you say may be true and I might be arrested for anything at anytime. Woops there I go again. Sorry. :?

Boy am I going to pay for that. PBIH ! :uhoh:

Yata hey

Uh, huh. I've learned not to mess with you!!

Don't forget that some cops are real funny about guns in cars.

Restaurant? I don't really see it coming up. I'm not getting pulled over for putting ice-cream on Key Lime pie.

Lunch counter? Not really. Unless its a misdemeanor for ogling pretty waitresses.

But traffic stops? That's a situation where you are being stopped for an offense. A situation where [insert all the "traffic stops are dangerous; don't know who might be stopping" reports here].

If I were going to OC in my car, there would be a holster securely mounted in plain view from driver's and front passenger windows. Securely mounted, yet easily removed so I don't have to leave the empty holster and its message when I park the car. The holster being so the gun doesn't fly during emergency crash avoidance manuvers or a collision.
So if you CC in your vehicle do you eliminate all of those pesky little possibilities?

When pulled over (been there) I will maintain a non-threatening posture and talk politely. I may or may not mention my carry but I also will not avoid a direct response to improper/illegal statements from the officer. The situation doesn't get better for us by avoidance. BTW - can't remember the last time I actually got a ticket - been many years.

That said, I understand your caution. Just don't see the reason for it at least as it relates to the Greater Richmond area. Maybe if I were in NoVa I would have a different take on it.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP So if you CC in your vehicle do you eliminate all of those pesky little possibilities?

No! I open the door to an entirely new set of possibilities. I don't notify. Of course, it can always get interesting once he sees the CHP flagged on the operators license.

:)

PS: I wasn't trying to use humor to be evasive. I couldn't figure out the point you were trying to make, and decided not to let an opportunity go to waste.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP So if you CC in your vehicle do you eliminate all of those pesky little possibilities?
No! I open the door to an entirely new set of possibilities. I don't notify. Of course, it can always get interesting once he sees the CHP flagged on the operators license.

PS: I wasn't trying to use humor to be evasive. I couldn't figure out the point you were trying to make, and decided not to let an opportunity go to waste.
My point was that an object blocking the view of your OCd gun or if it is not seen because of the viewers position relative to you, does not make it concealed - it is still OCd.

If you are wearing a 2 1/4" belt w/ a rodeo buckle but it can't be seen because of the above conditions, you are still wearing said belt very visibly - very openly if you will.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

My point was that an object blocking the view of your OCd gun or if it is not seen because of the viewers position relative to you, does not make it concealed - it is still OCd.

If you are wearing a 2 1/4" belt w/ a rodeo buckle but it can't be seen because of the above conditions, you are still wearing said belt very visibly - very openly if you will.

Yata hey

I must be getting tired. I can't make the connection. Maybe it will be clearer to me after a good night's sleep.

As usual, you win.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:

Meaning a cop could arrest you for CC for in-car hip-OC that wasn't visible to him
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I must be getting tired. I can't make the connection. Maybe it will be clearer to me after a good night's sleep.

As usual, you win.

See top snipped quote - out of context I know. If they get away with this once, then twice, then a hundred times.

No losers here - all winners and that is not PC - it is a fact.................well most all.:)

Yata hey

TexasNative

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
If you are wearing a 2 1/4" belt w/ a rodeo buckle but it can't be seen because of the above conditions, you are still wearing said belt very visibly - very openly if you will
Does that still apply if my gut hangs over the buckle so much that you can't see it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
If you are wearing a 2 1/4" belt w/ a rodeo buckle but it can't be seen because of the above conditions, you are still wearing said belt very visibly - very openly if you will
Does that still apply if my gut hangs over the buckle so much that you can't see it?
YMMV Your mileage may vary by the terrain, weather conditions and your diving habits. :) Suck it in.

Yata hey