• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not open carry, but ammo related.

Spectre

imported post

I hear of lots of folks having trouble finding their favoite pistol calibre ammo, some calibres are almost nonexistent (.380), but what about rifle ammo? How bad is it for .223, 5.56, .308, or 7.62x51?

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I picked up some .223 in the Wal Mart in Manassas. They also had .40 and 9mm and 12ga buck and slug. They were out of .357, .45 and .38.

Rey

imported post

I have had absolutely zero luck finding 7.62x39 softpoint in my favorite brands. Cor-Bon, Federal, Remington, Winchester or even PMC. Although you can find foreign stuff ok.

hunter45

imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
I have had absolutely zero luck finding 7.62x39 softpoint in my favorite brands. Cor-Bon, Federal, Remington, Winchester or even PMC.  Although you can find foreign stuff ok.

Have you checked Dick's?

Spectre

imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
I have had absolutely zero luck finding 7.62x39 softpoint in my favorite brands. Cor-Bon, Federal, Remington, Winchester or even PMC. Although you can find foreign stuff ok.

Yeah I have tons of 7.62x39 in FMJ and HP, but I never looked for SP 'cuz I never intended to go hunting.

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

Lake city sells nice .223, i get good groupings with them.

for .308 i suggest the english ammunition you see frequently in magazines like cheaper than dirt. Some of the best ammunition ive ever seen, or shot.

just my 2cents

"see you on the front, bring your munitions"

ccunning

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
BUBB4H wrote:

Have you checked Dick's?
Dick's in Manassas had Remington 7.62x39. as of late last week. I do not know if it was softpoint or not.

DarkHorse

imported post

ccunning wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
BUBB4H wrote:

Have you checked Dick's?
Dick's in Manassas had Remington 7.62x39. as of late last week. I do not know if it was softpoint or not.
I was there on saturday...seemed to have been restocked on some ammo. Had several cases of remington .40 17.98 per box if bought by the case. I know,,,,not adding any info on the prior mentioned ammo, but possible they may have what others are looking for in light of an apparent new shipment.

TraumaRN

imported post

Last night, Gander Mountain, just north of Richmond, had about 5 boxes left of winchester dpx2 soft points for 7.62x39, they were on a lower shelf than the normal FMJ Golden Bear (which is emptied out).

Good Luck

Chuckles

imported post

If you think the price/supply is bad right now, this will really rile you up.

http://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/dod-ends-sale-of-expended-military.html

According to George Arms, supposedly the #5 center fire ammo maker in the United States, DOD has required that the surplus brass casings they buy can NO LONGER BE RELOADED. The brass must be "mutilated" (I guess put through a metal shredder of sorts) and sold as scrap.

Tom Gresham (of the Guntalk fame) also picked this story up and spent better part of his recent programming slamming this new policy.

The Feds, with the help of our tax dollars, can afford ammo no matter what prices they are, can you?

Thndr

imported post

Chuckles the DLA has already reversed that decision read the following thread:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=23072&forum_id=4&highlight=DLA

Also didnt the gov. have a contract with Remington or one of the manufactures for pretty much what ever they could churn out, I was thinking this was causing some brass shortages as well but dont quote me on it as I am pulling this from memory so anything goes.

richarcm

imported post

Thndr wrote:
Chuckles the DLA has already reversed that decision read the following thread:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=23072&forum_id=4&highlight=DLA

Also didnt the gov. have a contract with Remington or one of the manufactures for pretty much what ever they could churn out, I was thinking this was causing some brass shortages as well but dont quote me on it as I am pulling this from memory so anything goes.
Just goes to show how sneaky Washington is going to be in trying to create an incremental ban on our guns by coming in through the backdoor. Watch them closely!

richarcm

imported post

I'm finding that I'm spending more money on gas driving to every Walmart in existence to find ammo that doesn't exist than if I just went to the local gun store and bought it there. No more Walmarts will I drive to only to stare at empty shelves!!!!

Spectre

imported post

richarcm wrote:
I'm finding that I'm spending more money on gas driving to every Walmart in existence to find ammo that doesn't exist than if I just went to the local gun store and bought it there.   No more Walmarts will I drive to only to stare at empty shelves!!!!

That's what I have found, people will sya that they go to walmart/dicks/gander and there's no ammo, but I go to the private shops and there's ammo a plenty.

crazydude6030

imported post

Spectre wrote:
richarcm wrote:
I'm finding that I'm spending more money on gas driving to every Walmart in existence to find ammo that doesn't exist than if I just went to the local gun store and bought it there. No more Walmarts will I drive to only to stare at empty shelves!!!!

That's what I have found, people will sya that they go to walmart/dicks/gander and there's no ammo, but I go to the private shops and there's ammo a plenty.

Thats because they normally leave out a few works. People cant find ammo at low prices anymore :p. Some of the local shops simply charge to much for my blood. Lucky for me when I have needed ammo I have been able to find it in stock at walmart.

Thndr

imported post

Yeah there is a shop near me that just bought all of the 200 round and 100 round .223 Federal 55Gr target packs that wal-mart had delivered, they only left a few 100 packs . This is what the gentleman at the counter who took the call from the shop inquiring if they had any in and sold the product to them or an employee.

I did not see it on there shelves so either they are keeping it for a rainy day, want to limit local stock, or just used the shop name thinking it would have some sway and bought it for themselves?

Anyhow just struck me as odd, also note the prices of ammo at that shop are higher.