• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jurors' Handbook - A Citizens Guide to Jury Duty

marrandy

imported post

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I tried to add to legal but wasn't allowed.

The way things are going, knowing about this can have major implications.

http://www.fija.org/

Read the Juror's Guide, 1 thru 5.

We need to educate people about jury rights when we fall foul of the numerous illegal laws they continue to bring in against the 2nd amendment.

I particularly liked this bit on the left on page 2.

"YOU, as a juror armed with the knowledge of the
purpose of a jury trial, and the knowledge of what your
Rights, powers, and duties really are, can with your
single vote of not guilty nullify or invalidate any law
involved in that case. Because a jury's guilty decision
must be unanimous, it takes only one vote to effectively
nullify a bad "act of the legislature". Your one vote can
"hang" a jury; and although it won't be an acquittal, at
least the defendant will not be convicted of violating an
unjust or unconstitutional law."

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I've been a proponent of "Jury Nullification" (which goes back at least to Colonial pre-Revoltionary War times) for years...

But I keep wondering just WHEN it will be "outlawed" or "repealed" since it sure does make liberal judgesand lawyers angry.

-- John D.

EDIT: Caution! Ifyou are going in for jury duty,when the defense and prosecution lawyers question you as they pick jurors,if they FIND OUT (or the judge does) that you are pro-Jury Nullficationyou'll besent home....so keep it to yourself if you want to be able to exercise it (and don't volunteer that info, either)!

Phssthpok

imported post

So is this where I get to toot my own horn about having a sit-down face-to-face conversation with Iloilo Jones (Executive Director of FIJA) at a mutual friends home while on vacation last month?

:cool:

Phssthpok

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:
So is this where I get to toot my own horn about having a sit-down face-to-face conversation with Iloilo Jones (Executive Director of FIJA) at a mutual friends home while on vacation last month?

:cool:
Spill!!!
Would that I could. It was nothing special really. Just a 'dinner party' type setting with a casual conversation about this, that, and the other. Fairly pedestrian really.:p

But it's not the first time we've talked, and most CERTAINLY wont be the last. ;)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
SNIPIt was nothing special really. Just a 'dinner party' type setting with a casual conversation about this, that, and the other. Fairly pedestrian really.:p

I get it!! Read between the lines, huh?

You guys talked about how FIJA would help juries not letjudges walk all over them. And how juries can use "boots that are made for walking" to walk all over unjust laws.

Cool.

:D