• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quarterback Pub and Eatery

heresolong

imported post

Here is the letter I wrote to the WSLCB after having a pleasant discussion with the bar manager at the Quarterback the other night.

"I was recently in the Quarterback Pub and Eatery in Bellingham. They have a sign on the door that states that no one is allowed to carry a firearm in the pub, including concealed pistol permit holders, due to RCW 9.41.300. However, upon entering I found children running around playing. I asked the on-duty manager and he said that they allow minors until 9pm at which time they become a 21 and over establishment. I pointed out to him that his sign was therefore in error and that firearms were in fact permitted under law until 9 pm. According to him he was told to put the sign up as written by the local LCB representative. He also told me that minors are NEVER permitted in the area next to the bar but it did not appear that the area was posted as such, just that liquor could not be sold to minors.

I would appreciate it if a representative from your office would contact the Quarterback Pub and clarify the law as it regards labeling. If they are open to minors until 9pm they are incorrectly (and allegedly at the direction of the LCB) posting their establishment as off limits to people exercising their Constitutional and legally allowed right to carry a firearm for self defense.

I would also appreciate a response as to what action will be or has been taken in this matter.

Thanks."

joeroket

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Here is the letter I wrote to the WSLCB after having a pleasant discussion with the bar manager at the Quarterback the other night.

"I was recently in the Quarterback Pub and Eatery in Bellingham. They have a sign on the door that states that no one is allowed to carry a firearm in the pub, including concealed pistol permit holders, due to RCW 9.41.300. However, upon entering I found children running around playing. I asked the on-duty manager and he said that they allow minors until 9pm at which time they become a 21 and over establishment. I pointed out to him that his sign was therefore in error and that firearms were in fact permitted under law until 9 pm. According to him he was told to put the sign up as written by the local LCB representative. He also told me that minors are NEVER permitted in the area next to the bar but it did not appear that the area was posted as such, just that liquor could not be sold to minors.

I would appreciate it if a representative from your office would contact the Quarterback Pub and clarify the law as it regards labeling. If they are open to minors until 9pm they are incorrectly (and allegedly at the direction of the LCB) posting their establishment as off limits to people exercising their Constitutional and legally allowed right to carry a firearm for self defense.

I would also appreciate a response as to what action will be or has been taken in this matter.

Thanks."
I have a letter from a LT. with the liquor control board stating that it is in fact legal to carry a firearm inside until the time that they restrict minors.

If you want it I can forward it to you. If so PM me your e-mail address and I will send it over.

edit: I should clarify that it is an e-mail an not a written out letter.

heresolong

imported post

Here's the email I got back. We'll see what they decide. Sounds like they agree that the place should be posted as "after 9pm".

Your email of 3/24/09 to our agency has been forwarded to me for a response. It would appear that you have concerns regarding the posting of required signage at this liquor licensed location. We have classified the above mentioned premises as a spirits / beer / wine restaurant with an all ages dining room , with all ages game room(s) & a small cocktail lounge / bar that is enclosed with barriers & is classified as being off limits to persons under 21 at all times. The minor posting(s) referenced below in our rule are required to be posted at each entrance into the 21 & over cocktail lounge at all times. The green firearm warning sign referenced below in part 5 of this same rule is required to be posted at either the entrance(s) into the cocktail lounge or else prominently inside the lounge for easy public viewing. We have historically allowed our licensees some latitude as far as with where to post the green firearm warning signs in their cocktail lounges / taverns.

At 9:00 PM nightly, the aforementioned premises is classified by the WSLCB as being entirely off limits to persons under 21. This classification requires the licensee to post notice of that at each public entrance into the facility, including the green firearm warning sign and alcohol pregnancy warning signs. Most licensees who operate with all ages dining rooms during the day & who then go to entirely no minors at a certain point in the evening, either customize our WSLCB provided minor posting sign(s) or else develop their own, notifying the public as to exactly when the premises becomes entirely 21 & over.

I will have our area LCB officer assigned to this premises stop by and check on the signage that they have up. I will have him give you a call at 360-xxx-xxxx or else an email back to this address, letting you know what we have done or not done here, depending upon what we find during our visit. When people file complaints about liquor licensed establishments, we let the licensees know that by policy. For your information, a complainant can request anonymity with us per RCW 42.56.240. Let me know if you wish to remain anonymous during this process or if you have no problem with the release of your name when we discuss this allegation with the restaurant owner. I will assume that you wish to remain anonymous unless you specify otherwise.

Sincerely,

Blair Smith, Lieutenant
WSLCB Enforcement & Education Office
1720 Ellis St. Suite 210
Bellingham, WA. 98225-4647
Telephone: 360-676-2074
FAX: 360-676-2001

heresolong

imported post

Letter from the local office of the WSLCB:

I wanted to let you know that I followed up on your complaint. I found that the licensee was in compliance with the signage rule. If you have any questions feel free to call me and I can explain in detail.

Thank you for your concerns,

Rafael Lucatero, Sergeant
Washington State Liquor Control Board
Bellingham Enforcement Office
(360)738-627
I have a followup call into his office. I don't see how a sign that misstates the law is compliant but we shall see.

arentol

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Letter from the local office of the WSLCB:

I wanted to let you know that I followed up on your complaint. I found that the licensee was in compliance with the signage rule. If you have any questions feel free to call me and I can explain in detail.

Thank you for your concerns,

Rafael Lucatero, Sergeant
Washington State Liquor Control Board
Bellingham Enforcement Office
(360)738-627
I have a followup call into his office. I don't see how a sign that misstates the law is compliant but we shall see.

The signs are fully compliant. They just aren't completely accurate.

As Blair Smith pointed out, they requirement is to post no-firearms signs in any establishment that does not allow people under the age of 21 on their premises because they server alcohol. The management is ALLOWED to modify the signs to specify the exact hours that guns are and are not allowed, but are not required too.

So really this is a matter of the management of the pub confirming the requirements and then modifying the signs, not of the WSLCB fixing a problem they caused or a mistake they made.

Give the letter to the management and they can change their signs, confirm it and change their signs, confirm it and not change their signs, or not confirm it and not change their signs. It appears it is actually their choice, not the WSLCB. The WSLCB is probably only required to let them know of the option, not to force it on them.