• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hotels and short-term rents

Chaingun81

imported post

I was wondering, how does the law treat property rented for short terms in regard to firearms. Things like hotel rooms, beach houses, log cabins. Is it treated as public property or private property? I'm pretty sure it's private, but who has porperty rights (in respect to firearmposession and carry)in this case - the person who rented or the owner? If for example if you carry a firearm (OC or CC)in a locality where such carry is permitted, do you have to get authorization from hotel management to carry into your room? As far as i know, you have property rights (in respect to firearms) on the propery you rent out long term (such as leased house/appt) but what about hotels or other properties you rent out for say a vacation? Any ideas?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
I was wondering, how does the law treat property rented for short terms in regard to firearms. Things like hotel rooms, beach houses, log cabins. Is it treated as public property or private property? I'm pretty sure it's private, but who has porperty rights (in respect to firearm posession and carry) in this case - the person who rented or the owner? If for example if you carry a firearm (OC or CC) in a locality where such carry is permitted, do you have to get authorization from hotel management to carry into your room? As far as i know, you have property rights (in respect to firearms) on the propery you rent out long term (such as leased house/appt) but what about hotels or other properties you rent out for say a vacation? Any ideas?

This depends, state to state. I know that in Michigan, a lease can define your rights regarding to firearms on the premises. You willfully give up your rights in the contract, because you are free to choose another location to live.

I would assume the same would hold true in a hotel situation.

jwidman

imported post

If we are talking about VA then Sections 55-248.2 through 55-248.40 of the Code of Virginia establishes the rights and obligations of landlords and tenants in the Commonwealth. Only the courts can enforce those rights and responsibilities.

Motels and boarding houses are covered by the VRLTA if the tenant lives in such residence for more than 30 days. Single family homes are covered only if the owner owns more then 10 properties.

Reference: http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/HomelessnesstoHomeownership/PDFs/Landlord_Tenant_Handbook.pdf

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm
SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.

Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.