• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Transfer of a Handgun

dfox

imported post

I want to transfer ownership of a handgun to my wife so she can begin to open carry while waiting on her CPL. The map says private transfers of long guns only. What do I need to do to transfer a handgun to her besides her going to get a purchase permit.

dfox

imported post

jfrenchudm wrote:
In the state of Michigan, you must have one of two things; a CPL, or a purchase permit. If you have neither, you may not possess a handgun.
I am aware of this, I want to know if there is anything preventing me from transferring a handgun to her via after she gets a purchase permit. If you look at the "Maps" provided and look at the "Private Transfer" map you will notice that it says "Legal for Long Guns only". Does this mean you can not transfer a handgun without an FFL getting involved? Or can I do it with just the purchase permit?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dfox wrote:
jfrenchudm wrote:
In the state of Michigan, you must have one of two things; a CPL, or a purchase permit. If you have neither, you may not possess a handgun.
I am aware of this, I want to know if there is anything preventing me from transferring a handgun to her via after she gets a purchase permit. If you look at the "Maps" provided and look at the "Private Transfer" map you will notice that it says "Legal for Long Guns only". Does this mean you can not transfer a handgun without an FFL getting involved? Or can I do it with just the purchase permit?
Not true, if she has a purchase permit, you can transfer her the gun then. I did this all in one stop in Grand Traverse County. I had a handgun transfered to my brother. We went in, got the purchase permit for him and then had the paperwork done all at one time. You just need to sign the form as the previous owner. Done and done, easy. Don't let the Sheriff's department make you wait for the purchase permit, they must issue it with due speed and diligence.

SQLtables

imported post

dfox wrote:
jfrenchudm wrote:
You do not need an FFL. She just needs to get a purchase permit, and then turn in the appropriate paperwork to the police department. Make sure she carries the registration card with her for at least 30 days after the gun is registered.

dfox

imported post

Thanks all,

I usually don't have to wait for a purchase permit at the Garden City Police department. They are good about that they just do it on certain days and certain times if i remember correctly.

dfox

imported post

Venator;

Still haven't received any reply from the Mayor of Garden City about the Ordinance amendment. Nor from the Chief of Police about the training of their officers it the Open Carry issue. I'll let everyone know if I do and what their response is.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dfox wrote:
Thanks all,

I usually don't have to wait for a purchase permit at the Garden City Police department.  They are good about that they just do it on certain days and certain times if i remember correctly.

The law states that they must provide them during ALL normal business hours..

I guess it's time to send them a letter, kindly asking them to comply with the law (the same law they're supposed to uphold...).

dfox

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
dfox wrote:
Thanks all,

I usually don't have to wait for a purchase permit at the Garden City Police department. They are good about that they just do it on certain days and certain times if i remember correctly.

The law states that they must provide them during ALL normal business hours..

I guess it's time to send them a letter, kindly asking them to comply with the law (the same law they're supposed to uphold...).

But if there "Normal" business hours are Funky then there fine. But I will verify when I get there.

Thanks