Thread: Any Recommendations For A Good Civil Rights Lawyer?

Post imported post

I am still facing a 2 year felony charge for Resisting, Opposing, & Assaulting A Police Officer. The prosecutor is witholding video/audio evidence from my defense lawyer. I can't go into the specifics of the case here in this forum but here is a news story about it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/in...lligan_to.html

Can someone please help me?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Maybe try to see if the ACLU will take on this case?

Post imported post

Patrick wrote:
    I am still facing a 2 year felony charge for Resisting, Opposing, & Assaulting A Police Officer. The prosecutor is witholding video/audio evidence from my defense lawyer. . . .

Since you mention nothing else, I'm forced to assume you're asking for help on the issues you mention: the charges and the prosecutor withholding evidence.

Are you saying your attorney can't handle those issues, or needs advice from us on options to handle them? If so . . . how much are you paying him/her?
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Maybe try to see if the ACLU will take on this case?
    I sent a message to the ACLU and they never responded.

Patrick

Post imported post

If that article is accurate, it looks like you were the one who was assaulted. I hope that this works out well, and that these idiots pay off your house for you.

I find it especially angering that they'd get mad at you for videotaping them, because they do that to people they pull over all the time.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Patrick wrote:
    I am still facing a 2 year felony charge for Resisting, Opposing, & Assaulting A Police Officer. The prosecutor is witholding video/audio evidence from my defense lawyer. I can't go into the specifics of the case here in this forum but here is a news story about it.

Ah I thought there was something called discovery. I thought the prosecution has to hand over all evidence they have in a case against you. Here is a list of attorneys (in no special order) that will take on firearm issues and may have better luck getting the cops to turn over the video tapes.

Steven Dulan Attorney, site: http://www.stevenwdulan.com/

Jim Simmons: Law Offices of James T. Simmons, P.C. 45700 Village Boulevard Shelby Township, Michigan 48315-6093 (586) 566-1900 (586) 532-4110 fax jtsimmons@jtsimmons.com

David Bieganowski[/b]. 400 E 8th St., Traverse City, phone (231) 947-6073.

Melissa M. Pearce: 2276 Wixom Rd. Commerce Twp., MI 48382 (248) 467-1930 FAX (248) 684-0029 melissapearce@ix.netcom.com.

John Freeman, Criminal Defense Attorney
    Liberty Center Suite 200--100 W. Big Beaver Road Troy, MI 48084
    866-720-3708 or 248-918-0790 Emergency 24/7: 313-330-2653 Troy, MI
    Pro-gun and NRA member. Free initialconsultation with the Law Office of John Freeman, call 866-720-3708 toll free, or send us an e-mail.

Matthew G. Davis, 119 E. Kalamazoo St. Lansing, MI 48933 (517) 913-5107 Cell (517) 281-9374 Foster5701@hotmail.com

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

dont forget in this country, you have the RIGHT to examine all evidence against you. so whatever the prosecution has, you get to see.

and if your attorney doesnt know that, then find a new one.

Post imported post

JasonJ wrote:
    dont forget in this country, you have the RIGHT to examine all evidence against you. so whatever the prosecution has, you get to see.

How long is the in-car audio/video get saved by the JacksonCounty Sheriff's Department? What do I need to do to FOIA this video/audio footage myself? I already have some footage from this particular officer, I just need approximately 20-30 minutes of video prior to the video I already have.

Patrick

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Patrick wrote:
    JasonJ wrote:

How long is the in-car audio/video get saved by the JacksonCounty Sheriff's Department? What do I need to do to FOIA this video/audio footage myself? I already have some footage from this particular officer, I just need approximately 20-30 minutes of video prior to the video I already have.
    Check your state's FOIA statute first.

I'm betting there is an exemption for evidence in an on-going investigation or prosecution. Meaning, I'm betting the video is exempt from required release under FOIA.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Patrick wrote:
    JasonJ wrote:

Patrick
    Patrick, here is some info on FOIA:

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-...1242--,00.html

Post imported post

Patrick wrote:
    You need to contact one of the attorneys suggested by Venator, and you need to have them go after this evidence.

Don't know what kind of attorney you hired before, but you need to stop f***ing around yourself and let PROFESSIONAL COUNSEL do your work for you. The area of discovery evidence being provided to the defense by prosecutors or law enforcementis QUITE separate from the area of getting things on your own through FOIA. Stop screwing around with an attorney who is leaving you winging this yourself.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Best i can do is wish you the best of luck..god im no a religious man but ill at least "hope" this can all work out... you have more importin things to deal with then power abusers...

Post imported post

Patrick wrote:

Again from past life . You need A Lawyer who has knowledge of 1983 actions in Federal Court but you must first deal with County . FOIAct requests do freeze items and can be filed by any one . 30 to 45 days for in car videos ,but ask for before or after all so it may have vanished .If you want fast action the ACLU is not it they are very methodical and slow .