• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Recommendations For A Good Civil Rights Lawyer?

Patrick

DanM

imported post

Patrick wrote:
I am still facing a 2 year felony charge for Resisting, Opposing, & Assaulting A Police Officer. The prosecutor is witholding video/audio evidence from my defense lawyer. . . .

Can someone please help me?

Since you mention nothing else, I'm forced to assume you're asking for help on the issues you mention: the charges and the prosecutor withholding evidence.

Are you saying your attorney can't handle those issues, or needs advice from us on options to handle them? If so . . . how much are you paying him/her?

Michigander

imported post

If that article is accurate, it looks like you were the one who was assaulted. I hope that this works out well, and that these idiots pay off your house for you.

I find it especially angering that they'd get mad at you for videotaping them, because they do that to people they pull over all the time.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Patrick wrote:
I am still facing a 2 year felony charge for Resisting, Opposing, & Assaulting A Police Officer. The prosecutor is witholding video/audio evidence from my defense lawyer. I can't go into the specifics of the case here in this forum but here is a news story about it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2009/03/rocket_club_owner_colligan_to.html

Ah I thought there was something called discovery. I thought the prosecution has to hand over all evidence they have in a case against you. Here is a list of attorneys (in no special order) that will take on firearm issues and may have better luck getting the cops to turn over the video tapes.

Steven Dulan Attorney, site: http://www.stevenwdulan.com/

Jim Simmons: Law Offices of James T. Simmons, P.C. 45700 Village Boulevard Shelby Township, Michigan 48315-6093 (586) 566-1900 (586) 532-4110 fax jtsimmons@jtsimmons.com

David Bieganowski[/b]. 400 E 8th St., Traverse City, phone (231) 947-6073.

Melissa M. Pearce: 2276 Wixom Rd. Commerce Twp., MI 48382 (248) 467-1930 FAX (248) 684-0029 melissapearce@ix.netcom.com.

John Freeman, Criminal Defense Attorney
Liberty Center Suite 200--100 W. Big Beaver Road Troy, MI 48084
866-720-3708 or 248-918-0790 Emergency 24/7: 313-330-2653 Troy, MI
Pro-gun and NRA member. Free initialconsultation with the Law Office of John Freeman, call 866-720-3708 toll free, or send us an e-mail.

Matthew G. Davis, 119 E. Kalamazoo St. Lansing, MI 48933 (517) 913-5107 Cell (517) 281-9374 Foster5701@hotmail.com

JasonJ

imported post

dont forget in this country, you have the RIGHT to examine all evidence against you. so whatever the prosecution has, you get to see.

and if your attorney doesnt know that, then find a new one.

Patrick

imported post

JasonJ wrote:
dont forget in this country, you have the RIGHT to examine all evidence against you. so whatever the prosecution has, you get to see.

How long is the in-car audio/video get saved by the JacksonCounty Sheriff's Department? What do I need to do to FOIA this video/audio footage myself? I already have some footage from this particular officer, I just need approximately 20-30 minutes of video prior to the video I already have.

Patrick

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Patrick wrote:
JasonJ wrote:

How long is the in-car audio/video get saved by the JacksonCounty Sheriff's Department? What do I need to do to FOIA this video/audio footage myself? I already have some footage from this particular officer, I just need approximately 20-30 minutes of video prior to the video I already have.

Check your state's FOIA statute first.

I'm betting there is an exemption for evidence in an on-going investigation or prosecution. Meaning, I'm betting the video is exempt from required release under FOIA.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Patrick wrote:
JasonJ wrote:

Patrick

Patrick, here is some info on FOIA:

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-17337_18160-51242--,00.html

DanM

imported post

Patrick wrote:

You need to contact one of the attorneys suggested by Venator, and you need to have them go after this evidence.

Don't know what kind of attorney you hired before, but you need to stop f***ing around yourself and let PROFESSIONAL COUNSEL do your work for you. The area of discovery evidence being provided to the defense by prosecutors or law enforcementis QUITE separate from the area of getting things on your own through FOIA. Stop screwing around with an attorney who is leaving you winging this yourself.

Kenshinx2

imported post

Best i can do is wish you the best of luck..god im no a religious man but ill at least "hope" this can all work out... you have more importin things to deal with then power abusers...

taxwhat

imported post

Patrick wrote:
I am still facing a 2 year felony charge for Resisting, Opposing, & Assaulting A Police Officer. The prosecutor is witholding video/audio evidence from my defense lawyer. I can't go into the specifics of the case here in this forum but here is a news story about it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2009/03/rocket_club_owner_colligan_to.html

Again from past life . You need A Lawyer who has knowledge of 1983 actions in Federal Court but you must first deal with County . FOIAct requests do freeze items and can be filed by any one . 30 to 45 days for in car videos ,but ask for before or after all so it may have vanished .If you want fast action the ACLU is not it they are very methodical and slow .