Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another dumb question from DarkHorse...

Post imported post

Just curious...

Is there a limit on how many you can conceal (if you have a permit of course) or open carry? example: one on the hip and back up on the ankle

Post imported post

Nope.

Post imported post

Thanks. I assumed this, but never asked or seen it asked directly. Yet another one I will admit I should have known.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Well, there might be a limit. How much can you dead lift?
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Wooley wrote:
    More than you can lift dead.
    Holly C---!! Wooley! How the hell are you? (where the hell are you) Long time no see.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

The search option is your friend. This has been asked several times already.

Post imported post

Spectre wrote:
    Agreed, it is my friend. However, searching common key terms results in 6 plus pages for results (limit; number can carry; etc). By the time I search all the different ways someone could have addressed this topic in the different states. I could have maybe found that topic I am looking for...or the response in abut 3 days. However, I received a nice response in 2 mins by simply asking the question.

Not sure why this get some folks goat so much.

Post imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
    Spectre wrote:
    Agreed, it is my friend. However, searching common key terms results in 6 plus pages for results (limit; number can carry; etc). By the time I search all the different ways someone could have addressed this topic in the different states. I could have maybe found that topic I am looking for...or the response in abut 3 days. However, I received a nice response in 2 mins by simply asking the question.

True, at least you made the effort..most new folks don't do that.

Post imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
    Thanks. I assumed this, but never asked or seen it asked directly. Yet another one I will admit I should have known.
    That's why you ask: To know.

It's just like in class. There's probably 5-6 other people wondering the same thing.

But yeah, this is legal (ok, not really, but...)

Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
    Spectre wrote:

I don't like the search feature here, I prefer to use google - this works well for Virginia

"sitepencarry.mywowbb.com intitle:virginia YOURQUERYHERE" (no quotes)

Will search just the OCDO Forums under the virginia section

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    I hate to be the thunderstorm that comes along and rains on everybody's parade, but I don't think the question has ever been challenged or ruled upon in the courts. The permit very clearly says "Concealed Handgun Permit". It does not say "handguns".

So, it depends on what rookie stops you, what this rookie charges you with, and what judge you land in front of. And more importantly, aconviction would depend onhow the judge interprets the law.

Remember now, we just had a Virginia judge claim online coursesare NOT satisfactory training in orderto obtain a CHP in the first place. Would this same judge say, "Sir, you have a permit for a concealed handgun, nobody said you could carry 12 firearms, I am going to find you guilty!"

Combine all of the above with the actual wording in the state code, and I quote..... "...D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun...."
    Perhaps you should apply for a 2nd permit and see what the court does.

In the meantime I'll carry more than 1 gun on my single VA CHP.
    armorer & notary public for VA Arms Co FFL/SOT
    https://www.facebook.com/virginiaarmscompany

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    Let me expand on my thought here... anybody remember when Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) was being searchedin the "Pirates of The Carribbean: At World's End" movie? Prior to disrobing she pulls out about a dozen firearms from her person and places them on a table.

IMHO, this is NOT what Virginia envisioned when they created the Concealed Handgun Permit for it's residents. Sooner or later, when a person is charged with carrying a small arsenal concealed upon their person, I'm betting we're going to see a conviction in the courts. And I doubt seriously if an appeal is going to overturn that conviction.

Going one step further, it might not even take a small arsenal to arrive at this conviction. It could be a person who is simply wearing a full size.45 auto on his belt, a .380 stuck in his back pocket, and a deringer strapped around his ankle.
    I certainly follow your thoughts. To clarify for all viewers, I was only asking because I was enteraining the idea of carrying on the hip and one on the ankle. Was not planning anything more than that.

Anyone one ever heard of multiple carry of a ccwbeing brought up in any VA court case?

Post imported post

What's the charge going to be?

I have a resident VA CHP, a non-resident PA concealed weapons permit and a non-resident Utah firearm permit.

VA has as written reciprocity agreement with PA and VA mutually recognizes Utah.
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

Post imported post

That's a good point, Sheriff, and one that several folks around here often try to make: "Here's the law (or at least a portion of it), here's the logic, here's the reality, here's the possibility. Don't just look at the parts that you like, because the parts you don't like may be the ones that get applied when you become the test case."

It's up to each of us to decide what we're going to do, and we need to be aware of and prepared to deal with the consequences of our decisions.

Post imported post

If I'm not mistaken (I'm not an attorney nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but IIRC the way law works is that something is legal unless there's a law that says it's illegal.....

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

The law doesn't clearly indicate single or multiple handguns thus I'm fairly certain no charges would stick, where it wouldn't work would be if one were concealing both a handgun and a longgun since the permit is only applies for handguns and clear in the code that way.

And yes I'm on first name basis with one of my local magistrates (he's a great customer of mine) and the Commonwealths Attorney Paul Ebert (he signed my Form 4 for my 1st SBR)........

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    DarkHorse wrote:
    .....one the hip and one on the ankle. Was not planning anything more than that.

Anyone one ever heard of multiple carry of a ccwbeing brought up in any VA court case?
    I have never seen or heard of a test case...... yet.

But you bring up the point I am basically trying to make. It's OK for a cop to carry a "backup" gun on the ankle. But you let a cop catch a civilian doing it..... what's gonna happen? Is he/she going to blow a fuse and do something stupid based on the singular wording in the state code? Just one blown fuse and we'll have out first Virginia test case.
    Well, I certainly do not want to be the test case. I guess it is best to hold off until we know exactly how the law would apply here.

Post imported post

I'm guessing I can carry three handguns since I have VA, PA and Utah.....

Post imported post

As Val Kilmer said in his role of Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone (after Johney Ringoaccused him of being so drunk he was seeing double): "I have two guns; one for each of you."

Post imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
    As Val Kilmer said in his role of Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone (after Johney Ringoaccused him of being so drunk he was seeing double): "I have two guns; one for each of you."
    AHH yes that was one of the best scenes in that movie yeah i got it bad look at my avatar lol.

Sherriff where are you located? if i may ask i understand if you cant disclose just wondering. I hope my fine Augusta co is as pro #2 as you seem to be and as up to date on laws

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    While he says he wouldn't issue a warrant forRambo Rookie based on a person carrying a concealed weapon and a backup gun, he feels there are far too many new and young inexperienced magistrates that would. And he says he feels they would because, as agents of the state,these rookie magistratesfeel some sort of obligation to protect cops from false arrest lawsuits. Once a cop arrests somebody and hauls them in front of a magistrate, they are in deep doo-doo if the magistrate refuses to issue a warrant. It's some of the best evidence in the world in proceeding with a false arrest lawsuit against the cop.
    Apparently some people, cops and magistrates alike, don't quite understand what a magistrate is for, if this is how the insiders view the system.

As for how many guns, and cops v. civilians, this section of 18.2-308 addresses cops with a single handgun also:

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

I bet the question of 'how many' was never even thought of when this law was crafted and debated. Seems to me the issue is the legality of concealing a weapon that lends itself to concealability, therefore no 'concealed rifle permit.' Also, it's not a permit to carry an 'open' handgun. Yes I can see room for debate, but I doubt seriously there would be any criminal penalty incurred, especially if you used an attorney. Look at it as finding a winning lottery licket issues by the city you get arrested in!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

We're really just talking about possibility vs. probability now.

There's a possibility that I might be struck by lightening when I leave the house tomorrow but the probability is pretty low. Thus I'll still leave the house tomorrow.....

Post imported post

gotm4 wrote:

There's a possibility that I might be struck by lightening when I leave the house tomorrow but the probability is pretty low. Thus I'll still leave the house tomorrow.....
    There's a possibility a supermodel will fall head over heals in love with me when I leave the house tomorrow but the probability is pretty low. Thus I'll will leave the house tomorrow. Yeah, I like them odds better..... :^).

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    gotm4 wrote:

There's a possibility a supermodel will fall head over heals in love with me when I leave the house tomorrow but the probability is pretty low. Thus I'll will leave the house tomorrow. Yeah, I like them odds better..... :^).
    Now, wait a minute. Lets think this through. If there are more of us leaving your house at the same time, the odds increase for a supermodel to fall head over heals for at least one of us, no?

Everybody to Neplus's house for breakfast!!!!

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    gotm4 wrote:

Now, wait a minute. Lets think this through. If there are more of us leaving your house at the same time, the odds increase for a supermodel to fall head over heals for at least one of us, no?

Everybody to Neplus's house for breakfast!!!!

I want blueberry pancakes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast