• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another dumb question from DarkHorse...

DarkHorse

imported post

Just curious...

Is there a limit on how many you can conceal (if you have a permit of course) or open carry? example: one on the hip and back up on the ankle

:question:

Wooley

imported post

I was wondering how long it would take you guys to notice my dolt comments...

I've been good and I hope you are too. I come through your area every night on the way home...we'll have to meetup some night and catch up. Matter of fact, bring your friends!

I promise, no fireworks antics either. Not that anything VRW told you was true anyways...;)

DarkHorse

imported post

Spectre wrote:
The search option is your friend. This has been asked several times already.

Agreed, it is my friend. However, searching common key terms results in 6 plus pages for results (limit; number can carry; etc). By the time I search all the different ways someone could have addressed this topic in the different states. I could have maybe found that topic I am looking for...or the response in abut 3 days. However, I received a nice response in 2 mins by simply asking the question.

Not sure why this get some folks goat so much.

Spectre

imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
Spectre wrote:

Agreed, it is my friend. However, searching common key terms results in 6 plus pages for results (limit; number can carry; etc). By the time I search all the different ways someone could have addressed this topic in the different states. I could have maybe found that topic I am looking for...or the response in abut 3 days. However, I received a nice response in 2 mins by simply asking the question.

True, at least you made the effort..most new folks don't do that. ;)

AbNo

imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
Thanks. I assumed this, but never asked or seen it asked directly. Yet another one I will admit I should have known. :banghead:
That's why you ask: To know. ;)

It's just like in class. There's probably 5-6 other people wondering the same thing.

But yeah, this is legal (ok, not really, but...)

hsmith

imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
Spectre wrote:

I don't like the search feature here, I prefer to use google - this works well for Virginia

"site:eek:pencarry.mywowbb.com intitle:virginia YOURQUERYHERE" (no quotes)

Will search just the OCDO Forums under the virginia section :)

Sheriff

imported post

I hate to be the thunderstorm that comes along and rains on everybody's parade, but I don't think the question has ever been challenged or ruled upon in the courts. The permit very clearly says "Concealed Handgun Permit". It does not say "handguns".

So, it depends on what rookie stops you, what this rookie charges you with, and what judge you land in front of. And more importantly, aconviction would depend onhow the judge interprets the law.

Remember now, we just had a Virginia judge claim online coursesare NOT satisfactory training in orderto obtain a CHP in the first place. Would this same judge say, "Sir, you have a permit for a concealed handgun, nobody said you could carry 12 firearms, I am going to find you guilty!"

Combine all of the above with the actual wording in the state code, and I quote..... "...D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun...."

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I hate to be the thunderstorm that comes along and rains on everybody's parade, but I don't think the question has ever been challenged or ruled upon in the courts. The permit very clearly says "Concealed Handgun Permit". It does not say "handguns".

So, it depends on what rookie stops you, what this rookie charges you with, and what judge you land in front of. And more importantly, aconviction would depend onhow the judge interprets the law.

Remember now, we just had a Virginia judge claim online coursesare NOT satisfactory training in orderto obtain a CHP in the first place. Would this same judge say, "Sir, you have a permit for a concealed handgun, nobody said you could carry 12 firearms, I am going to find you guilty!"

Combine all of the above with the actual wording in the state code, and I quote..... "...D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun...."
Perhaps you should apply for a 2nd permit and see what the court does.

In the meantime I'll carry more than 1 gun on my single VA CHP.

Sheriff

imported post

Let me expand on my thought here... anybody remember when Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) was being searchedin the "Pirates of The Carribbean: At World's End" movie? Prior to disrobing she pulls out about a dozen firearms from her person and places them on a table.

IMHO, this is NOT what Virginia envisioned when they created the Concealed Handgun Permit for it's residents. Sooner or later, when a person is charged with carrying a small arsenal concealed upon their person, I'm betting we're going to see a conviction in the courts. And I doubt seriously if an appeal is going to overturn that conviction.

Going one step further, it might not even take a small arsenal to arrive at this conviction. It could be a person who is simply wearing a full size.45 auto on his belt, a .380 stuck in his back pocket, and a deringer strapped around his ankle.

DarkHorse

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Let me expand on my thought here... anybody remember when Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley) was being searchedin the "Pirates of The Carribbean: At World's End" movie? Prior to disrobing she pulls out about a dozen firearms from her person and places them on a table.

IMHO, this is NOT what Virginia envisioned when they created the Concealed Handgun Permit for it's residents. Sooner or later, when a person is charged with carrying a small arsenal concealed upon their person, I'm betting we're going to see a conviction in the courts. And I doubt seriously if an appeal is going to overturn that conviction.

Going one step further, it might not even take a small arsenal to arrive at this conviction. It could be a person who is simply wearing a full size.45 auto on his belt, a .380 stuck in his back pocket, and a deringer strapped around his ankle.

I certainly follow your thoughts. To clarify for all viewers, I was only asking because I was enteraining the idea of carrying on the hip and one on the ankle. Was not planning anything more than that.

Anyone one ever heard of multiple carry of a ccwbeing brought up in any VA court case?

Sheriff

imported post

gotm4 wrote:
.....I'll carry more than 1 gun on my single VA CHP.

If ever stopped and searched for whatever reason, you may well be the first test case in Virginia. :) The sad part is the fact it could end up costing you $50,000 in attorney fees to go through a trial and appeal. :banghead:

Now we're treading on thin ice here because you're forcing me to say things I would rather skip over and left unsaid. Namely, you don't know what some of these newfangled geeen-behind-the-ears rookies out on the street are going to dream up when they come across a person with several concealed weapons upon their person. It's a very scary thought when you think about what some of them have already wrongfully done in dealing with the gun rights of citizens.

Sheriff

imported post

DarkHorse wrote:
.....one the hip and one on the ankle. Was not planning anything more than that.

Anyone one ever heard of multiple carry of a ccwbeing brought up in any VA court case?

I have never seen or heard of a test case...... yet.

But you bring up the point I am basically trying to make. It's OK for a cop to carry a "backup" gun on the ankle. But you let a cop catch a civilian doing it..... what's gonna happen? Is he/she going to blow a fuse and do something stupid based on the singular wording in the state code? Just one blown fuse and we'll have out first Virginia test case.